HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just picked up a NIB PTR91 with the small muzzle brake installed on it.

It is the 18" Hbar standard rifle.

I just got her this month.

Can anyone tell me if this is a threaded on MB and how to remove it?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
It should be the threaded barrel. Just try unscrewing it...I had to use a small allen wrench through the ports for a little extra leverage. I took mine off and ordered a flash hider from Jayson Cotter at investmentgradefirearms.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does the clip below have to be removed before the flash hider can be renoved? You may want to check for the clip on your rifle before you try twisting the flash hider off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You don't have to remove the clip to unscrew the flash hider. I don't see how you can remove the clip until the flash hider is off the barrel. The clip just offers resistance to keep the hider from loosening. HK or true-spec barrels have notches in them that the clip engages. On the PTRs, there's a ridge that the clip makes contact with to offer resistance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You don't have to remove the clip to unscrew the flash hider. I don't see how you can remove the clip until the flash hider is off the barrel. The clip just offers resistance to keep the hider from loosening. HK or true-spec barrels have notches in them that the clip engages. On the PTRs, there's a ridge that the clip makes contact with to offer resistance.
After the fact, I can admit I have never removed the flash hider. Yes, I assumed it had to be removed before the flash hider came off.. Thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Careful,

If you got a PTR-91C which comes with a compensator break and not a flash hider (as I had to get because of Connecticut Law), that break is fused on.. not sure if it's epoxyed or welded, but the end result could be damaged exposed threads for you to attach nothing to in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problems, I took an allen wrench that fits into one of the ports, and while holding the barrel assembly in my lap, and I hit the wrench twice with my rubber mallet and it came off.

Thanks guys,
Addax

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up a PTR91 recently, and have also considered replacing the muzzle break--what aftermarket breaks/flash hiders will work (I guess I'm asking what's the threading?)...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased a flash hider from Jayson Cotter at IGF. The threads fit fine when I put it on. I think that Vortex makes one as well, but if I remember it was about twice as much as the IGF one that I got.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just picked up a PTR91 recently, and have also considered replacing the muzzle break--what aftermarket breaks/flash hiders will work (I guess I'm asking what's the threading?)...
The factory HK threading (which I'm assuming is the same on the PTR) is M15x1.0RH. We have the taps to do our KA-1230 brake/suppressor in 15x1.0 if you want one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Careful,

If you got a PTR-91C which comes with a compensator break and not a flash hider (as I had to get because of Connecticut Law), that break is fused on.. not sure if it's epoxyed or welded, but the end result could be damaged exposed threads for you to attach nothing to in the future.
Thought I would ad my experience with my new ptr-91C (standard rile with compensator). I just bought my ptr in January '08, sn sw02xx. it was originally shipped to a gun shop in Idaho, but I bought it in Oregon at a gun show.

I had written an email to ptr and they told me it was likely to be welded. Just this morning I slipped an allen wrench though the compensator, give it some muscle and off it came, no problem.

Cheers,
DJM

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hey kingjoey
when you make the 1212BR in .30 cal THEN I'm definately in!!! ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey kingjoey
when you make the 1212BR in .30 cal THEN I'm definately in!!! ;)
We could do a "breacher" for you if you want, I wouldn't recommend using it to pop door locks though :20000000: I see more and more of these companies cranking out brakes with teeth on the end and it don't make sense to me. It's not a good choice for breaching and if you need something sharp on the end of a rifle to poke BG's with, use a bayonet :64: We did just released the first production run of the new KA-1222 brake/suppressor units last week, they're threaded 1/2x28 for .223 rifles. We have a big shoot here in AZ this Saturday and we'll have some footage of this brake in use on a 10" M16 later next week.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Kingjoey, PM sent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts