HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if im the only one, but my paddle release is a little rough. Ive lubed the whole mag release and Ive come to the conclusion that the paddle does not rub well on the button release, causing a rough extraction. Its very smooth when using the button release. I was also thinking that the PTR may not be a absolute perfect fit for surplus g3 mags? Does anyone have any tips or solutions?

Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Check for if the release rubs on back of mag well. When using the paddle mag it torqs and pushes the release rearward. If the reciever weld is high it will rub against the rear of mag well but will not if you use the push button release. It could also be the bushing pin hole was a hair rearward of where it needs to be causing the same issue.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had a similar issue with the PTR I just purchased, the mag release was also digging into the magazine, making it extremely difficult to insert into the mag well. I ended up sending the rifle back to PTR to get repaired, along with the cocking tube that was way off center. They just received the rifle yesterday, but as soon as I get it back i'll let you know if they fixed the issue. I'm not sure how they could have let it leave the factory in that condition - seems like their QC is slipping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I take another look at my rifle as well as contact PTR and see if the problem something worth sending to them.

The problem seems to be the surface where the paddle torqs onto the button release, like its not smooth enough or something.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It us worth sending it back if it is out of alignment. The pin and bushing is welded in place. If they have to move the pin it means drilling out the weld over the pin, redrilling, welding over again, refinishing the rifle.

As for it feeling rough when you actuate it. That may be it rubbing on the rear of mag well as you actuate the release. It twists and pushes the cam rearward and over to release the mag. Look for rubbing of the finish on the reciever and on the rear face of the cam. It can be difficult to see because of the tolerances between the parts and the fact you have to disassemble the push button release to inspect the cam. You might cut a strip of clean white paper to slide up behind the cam. Press the paddle release and pull on the paper to see if the paddles cam is pressing the mag release cam against the rear of mag well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think its grinding on the back of the mag well, the roughness is coming straight from the contact points. Ill see what I can do to grind it down a hair to see if that helps. If not, PTR will be receiving a call

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can you snap a picture of the contact piece and post? I made sure the contact piece is mirror smooth and I keep a dab of thick grease on it for smooth interaction between it and the paddle mag.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not really a solution, but I had a similar issue with a paddle release being absurdly difficult to operate because it was slightly misaligned. After working it by hand a few thousand times and seeing only minor improvement, I just clipped about half a coil off of the spring. That made it much easier to work, but its just treating the symptom, not the disease.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine works ok if I have my fingers around the magazine, push the lever with my thumb while rotating and pulling slightly on the magazine. It's not anything like pushing on the lever and the magazine dropping free.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
How is the fit of the release in the receiver. It's hard to tell but it looks kind of tight in your picture. So the release might work ok when utilizing the button as it moves in a straight line but the paddle might be causing it to cock just a hair and bind.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
View attachment 77433

This is the best pic i could get at the moment

Remove the magazine release parts (roll pin, button, catch, spring, and contact piece). Move the flapper sideways and see if there's side to side play. From this pic, it looks like there are no tabs that take up the gap. When you move the flapper forward to release the magazine, the flapper should immediately cam on the contact piece which causes the catch to move sideways., If there's side to side play, the camming action binds and the flapper will stick. Some mag flapper kits come with small washers that go on each side of the flapper to take up that gap. These washers are an improvised solution for receivers that do not have the re-enforcing tabs silver brazed in place.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I can't tell by the picture but, is the contact piece a single straight (plane) face? It should be. Yours looks like it has two angles?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How is the fit of the release in the receiver. It's hard to tell but it looks kind of tight in your picture. So the release might work ok when utilizing the button as it moves in a straight line but the paddle might be causing it to cock just a hair and bind.
Yeah now that I look at it, it does cock a little bit differently when using the paddle and definitely binding some. Would PTR fix this?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Update on my PTR91 that I sent back for repairs:

I got a call Thursday morning from PTR saying they completed repairs on my rifle and it will be shipping out by the end of the day. PTR's customer service is top notch and their turn around time couldn't get any better, I'm extremely pleased on how they handled the return and repair. I was surprised to see that FedEx delivered my rifle on Saturday, before the delivery date of Monday - kudos to them as well.

PTR's gunsmith fixed both the canted cocking tube, sticking paddle mag release and dragging mag catch. Top notch repair and everything functions perfectly - i'm 100% satisfied with my rifle now. It looks like they replaced the entire mag release assembly and paddle mag release with new parts.

I'd say if you're having issues, don't bother fixing it yourself, just send it back. They'll definitely take care of you in a timely manner, with no cost to you other than a little down time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on my PTR91 that I sent back for repairs:

I got a call Thursday morning from PTR saying they completed repairs on my rifle and it will be shipping out by the end of the day. PTR's customer service is top notch and their turn around time couldn't get any better, I'm extremely pleased on how they handled the return and repair. I was surprised to see that FedEx delivered my rifle on Saturday, before the delivery date of Monday - kudos to them as well.

PTR's gunsmith fixed both the canted cocking tube, sticking paddle mag release and dragging mag catch. Top notch repair and everything functions perfectly - i'm 100% satisfied with my rifle now. It looks like they replaced the entire mag release assembly and paddle mag release with new parts.

I'd say if you're having issues, don't bother fixing it yourself, just send it back. They'll definitely take care of you in a timely manner, with no cost to you other than a little down time.
Thanks for the follow up! I think I'll contact PTR and see what they say but it looks like thats the route I need to take.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts