HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided to get a 308 and I have finally decided on a ptr91 G.I. R. I was wondering if ptr's ever go on sale especially since it's the holidays or if I should just buy it now? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would say check out gun shows as well. atlantic firearms has them in stock on regular basis. I got mine for a song at cabelas but that was a one off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With shipping and tax I'm looking at $1,100, local shops have it a little cheaper. If it wasn't for the tax it would be an ok price. Thanks man.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you are ordering a gun from another state there is no sales tax.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you are Getting a GI, you might consider getting a stock one and adding a FAB Defense made in Israel its flat like the welded one but easilyremovable if you want to go back to the standard look

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are Getting a GI, you might consider getting a stock one and adding a FAB Defense made in Israel its flat like the welded one but easilyremovable if you want to go back to the standard look
How well would one of those mounts hold zero ? And is there any benefit to having the removable mount other than looks ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
How well would one of those mounts hold zero ? And is there any benefit to having the removable mount other than looks ? Thanks
The rail makes mounting a scope WAY easier and more ergonomic to shoot and isn't in the way of the irons at all. If you use a QD mount the scope comes off in a heartbeat if needed. As for worrying about possibly needing the irons for a close shot, go with a scope in the 1-6 or 1-8 range and leave it set on x1 and you are ready for anything that pops up at close/medium range. Then if you need to make a longer shot (where time is obviously not as short) a quick flip to the higher power can be done.

The "claw" mount is really only a better option for an original HK rifle (to retain collector value) or for a fanboi who wants to look like the real(?) deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can choose a claw mount which permits scope or iron use based on distance or speed.

If I did it over I'd get an unrailed PTR.
How exactly would that work, I tried to find some info on it but I may be searching for the wrong things since I'm still new to the HK world, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rail makes mounting a scope WAY easier and more ergonomic to shoot and isn't in the way of the irons at all. If you use a QD mount the scope comes off in a heartbeat if needed. As for worrying about possibly needing the irons for a close shot, go with a scope in the 1-6 or 1-8 range and leave it set on x1 and you are ready for anything that pops up at close/medium range. Then if you need to make a longer shot (where time is obviously not as short) a quick flip to the higher power can be done.

The "claw" mount is really only a better option for an original HK rifle (to retain collector value) or for a fanboi who wants to look like the real(?) deal.
So your vote is to just go with the G.I. R model and call it a day?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts