HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Receiver-top rail-job, paddle install, SEF clip-job and standard refinish. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Very nice chops. I think it'd look really cool with a G36 style rail. Chopped front and rear sights and a rail all the way to the end. Just a thought.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biggest reason I have never welded a picatinny rail all the way down to the triple-frame is that I do not like the idea of cutting a notch for charging handle locking clearance. If you omit the lock-back function, you increase the wear on your magazine feed lips and increase malfunction margin by trying to seat the magazine with the bolt closed.

The other concern is the free-floating barrel. If you bob the top of the triple-frame and weld the rails to it, you loose the free-float. I have played with a couple different ideas some of which will be on the run D54P/40's I have planned.

I appreciate the input. It's always good to hear different ideas.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Awesome. Can't wait to see one. I kinda thought about the free floating part of it but figured it'd be ok since the tube doesn't touch the barrel. Cocking notch could be a bear but I think it could be overcome. I'd worry about busting my knuckles on a sharp corner.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The free-float is only an issue if the rail is affixed to the triple-frame tying the triple-frame to the rest of the system.

I did forget to mention that the height of the front and rear sights are by design. On an MP5 9mm, POA=POI at 25 and 100 yards. Altering the height position of the sights by introducing rail mounted sight will defeat the 25/100 yard shared zero. While that may not be important to some, it is also another reason I have not done a full top-railed firearm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts