HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a ptr91 and took it to the range today .Here is my problem it shot about ten in low at fifty yds on the 1 aperture so i figured i would adjust the elevation but it can't be done the drum is one piece. I than set the drum to 3 and it shot fine, I guess what my question is am i doing something wrong or is this sight just a pos?
Thanks,Bob.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
732 Posts
I understand how to adjust the hk sight but this ptr sight drum is different it is smooth inside and has no detent notches or threads inside like my hk 91 does. The drum is one piece.
Thanks,Bob.
Photos please. My PTR 91 is just the same as the G3 sight, but there is no notch, and instead an aperture. Otherwise adjusts the same.

If you post some photos, perhaps we can figger it out?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is a pic of my PTR's all peep drum. I use the #2 peep out to 200 yds. Is your drum much different from this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look at the pictures on my last post you can see that the drum is one piece.
Thanks,Bob.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hmmmm,That is different..Have you tried pushing down on the center? I'm thinking maybe that will release the drum for adjustment..Maybe call JLD and ask them..

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
If you look at the pictures on my last post you can see that the drum is one piece.
Thanks,Bob.
Wow, never seen one like that. Definitely not even a copy of the HK sight drums. On the PTR website, they show both the one you have, as well as the HK factory type in their parts sections.

I'd try either pulling or pushing up on it while turning, pushing the middle button while turning, and maybe even loosening the screw in the back and then turning it.

Or just contact ptr91.com. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did try pushing in on the stud in the middle also pulled up pushed down while turning the drum,It did not seem to help, gonna call ptr in the morning.
Thanks,Bob.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try using tweezers or something similiar to squeeze the two pins together inside the detents of the drum, then rotating the sight counter clock wise to raise the rear sight. I had to do that to my ptr-91, looks like your pic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Could it be a MP5 sight drum? They aren't adjustable for elevation, right?

Beyond that, I'd just call JLD or buy a surplus sight from RobertRTG.com.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to the guy at ptr today basically he was no help,he told me that he has never heard of one like this and i should just can this sight and buy a new one from them for $60, I looked at the g3 sight from rtg for $12 guess i am going to get one from them but it has the vnotch instead of the peep, any how thanks for the help.
Bob.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I talked to the guy at ptr today basically he was no help,he told me that he has never heard of one like this and i should just can this sight and buy a new one from them for $60, I looked at the g3 sight from rtg for $12 guess i am going to get one from them but it has the vnotch instead of the peep, any how thanks for the help.
Bob.
I've bought a few of those G3 sights from robertrtg, and they were all in perfect shape. I replaced some sloppy ones on a few of the old 91s I've bought. But don't worry about the notch - you won't ever use it on the notch. Sight it in using the #2 position at 100 meters. The notch is considered an auxilliary sight.

And BTW - I LOVE finding stuff I need from rtg. I check there first, and if he doesn't have it, only then do I look somewhere else. Great, great prices, and has always had excellent communication. I last ordered a few things he was out of, he said he'd email me when they came in. Uh-huh, sure you will, I was thinking. Well - a few weeks later, he actually did. That kind of service is not common these days.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've bought a few of those G3 sights from RGT, and they were all in perfect shape. I replaced some sloppy ones on a few of the old 91s I've bought. But don't worry about the notch - you won't ever use it on the notch. Sight it in using the #2 position at 100 meters. The notch is considered an auxilliary sight.
Thanks, i didden't think of that ill order one or two in the morning! Hell yeah back in business! Thanks,Bob.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The V notch drum is better in my opinion. With the sun at my back, as it should be when stalking evening wild hogs, I had trouble getting a sight picture with the full peep that comes on many PTRs due to the glare off the rear peep. I have passed on a few shots and have since switched to the V. The V is super fast up close. You can always give it a spin and go precision peep if needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The V notch drum is better in my opinion. With the sun at my back, as it should be when stalking evening wild hogs, I had trouble getting a sight picture with the full peep that comes on many PTRs due to the glare off the rear peep. I have passed on a few shots and have since switched to the V. The V is super fast up close. You can always give it a spin and go precision peep if needed.
For a hunting situation i do agree! but for target shooting i prefer a peep, for some reason i have a hard time focusing my eyes when using this type of v notch don't know why i have no problems with the old winchester buckhorns i cut my teeth on! Bob.

·
Registered
280 Posts
And remember, when shopping at RobertRTG.com, plan far ahead and make the most of that shipping charge. Go ahead and get some spare firing pins, firing pin springs, rollers, roller retainer plates, retainer plate roll pins, locking piece, trigger return springs, etc. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts