HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have wanted an HK91 FOREVER, but I can't ever seem to find one at the right time for the right price.

I heard the PTR91s are just as good as the originals. Any opinions on this? I was planning on maybe getting one and getting a real SEF lower for it with wood furniture.

Do they function identically? Will my spent brass have those ridges in em?

Help a brother out on some opinions...

Also if anyone has an HK91 beater lying around lemme know before I put an American rifle in my safe with all German cousins.

Wahodges

·
Registered
422 Posts
Will they function identicle? They should. The worst part of the PTR's are the furniture and the barrels IMHO.

The PTR's used to be a better deal when they sold for $750-ish, now that they are $1000-ish, I would pick up a FMP made gun. You should be able to find a used FMP for close to $1000. Alot of FMP's I see are green furniture which I have always been an evil black gun person.

85% - 90% HK91's where selling for $1600-$1700 all the time, but I have not seen very many for sale for this price for a while, maybe closer to $1800.

For a brand new rifle the PTR's are still a pretty good deal.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
The PTRs do use a heavier barrel than the HK version. I dont like their furniture either. They do have a fluted chamber like the HKs but they dont use as many flutes. Personally, I would hold out for a genuine HK, they do pop up reasonably with some regularity.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
the PTR is a fine clone, I own one and like it but prefer HK

but......you might look for a Springfield SAR 3 or 8, they are IMOP as close to HK as they come and can be found for $900-1100, the SAR8 will have parts count issues(came with a thumbhole stock etc) but they are wonderfull guns, made in Greece(Ebo) Just dont get one(1997+) with the built in picatiny rail, those are if nothing else..........darn ugly. Make sure its stamped EBO on the right side mag well and your good to go. Heck I sorta kinda like my SAR8 better than any of my german 91's(even the SR9TC)

another option is the FMP imported by PARS, not sure the model #

here is how I rank HK's and clones

1. german HK
2. SAR 3/8 Greek/Ebo
3. JLD PTR 91

I dont have a FMP so cant say where it fits, but would guess its 2.5.

but there are real HK91's out there for as low as $1500.....just gotta look and be fast ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
i have a like new springfield SAR3/8 Greek Gun
just got it in!
for sale like new $1100 + shipping

black stock set
wide forarm
looks to be new but ill say 99%

·
Registered
217 Posts
PTR's fine, but the heavy barrel makes the gun much less handy compared to HK91/G3 design. It's like having an AR15 with A2 barrel and HBAR.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love my PTR, but mine and many others have not been as reliable due to the chamber fluting[fluting and possibly dimensions] I can live with the heavy barrel and the furniture. They just are not HK. If the chamber was 100% spec they would have had a steller reputation.
Let me say that mine is extremely reliable, but the original HK91/G3 is seriously right behind the AK as I see it.
So close, but so far for JLD!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Don't know about the original HK. I've shot a G3, but it wasn't mine, and it was years ago, so no comparo.

I had some teething troubles with my PTR91, but I've worked the bugs out with a trip to the factory to remedy some ejection issues and bolt gap shrinkage.

In all, I really like the PTR, except that it is so heavy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got me a HK91 German. Mwwaaahahahahahahahahaaa!!!

Soon to be a IGF G3KA4. HAHAHAHAAAA!

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
see that wasn't hard was it? and you got what you ALWAYS wanted....good man :)

speaking of price, last time I saw the 91's for sale from HK to LE/Mil was 2003(may have been latter) and the price for a 91(or LE/Mil) was......$1600-1800(depending on version)

I got me a HK91 German. Mwwaaahahahahahahahahaaa!!!

Soon to be a IGF G3KA4. HAHAHAHAAAA!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts