HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a PTR91K about a year ago used and haven't had many chances to shoot it. I put a clubfoot stock and 21e buffer on it, as well as the MFI low profile scope mount. It's got a POSP 6x42 scope right now and a grip-pod.

I'd really like to use the gun in a DMR role, or at least have it be capable of that sort of performance. Say, 2 moa at 100 yards. I'd like it to be able to reliably hit man-sized targets up to at least 600 yards and potentially head-sized targets to 200 yards. I know the G28 dmr is rated to 1.5 moa, so precision even approaching that would be great. I have read other posts about accurizing hk91 type rifles here, so please don't crucify me for asking questions which have already been talked about. This is my first post after all! I don't expect it to be a 1 moa tack driver, I just want to know whether a PTR91k could be a 2 moa rifle.

I took the rifle shooting today and tried out a variety of ammo types. Silver bear .308 140 gr jsp, hornady .308 168 gr hpbt, West german surplus 7.62, winchester military contract overrun fmj, and federal xm80 7.62. I was shooting pretty slowly, say 1 round every 45 seconds in 2-3 round sets. I'm definitely a shooting novice, but I feel like the groups were pretty bad, even considering that. The best groups I managed to get consistently were with the winchester 150 gr overrun, about 4-5 inches.

So my question is, does anyone have ammunition recommendations? I have heard that PTR rifles like lighter bullets, in the 1440-150 grain range. Does anyone have any experience to back this up, specifically in a ptr91k? I feel like ammunition choice (as well as much more practice) is probably the best thing to do the improve the rifle's accuracy.

Aside from ammunition, does anyone have any equipment recommendations? I'm thinking a cheek rest, a better bipod, and trigger improvements are good, pretty cheap improvements. I am thinking of getting either a wide forearm and a light bipod or a harris bipod and weaver adapter. Any recommendations between the two? The grip pod is pretty unstable, so I'd like to replace it asap. I was thinking either a bill springfield trigger job or a set trigger, if I were to get the trigger worked on. Any input between the two?

Lastly, since the rifle plus upgrades is worth probably over $1400, and I could get a pretty nice saiga 308 with that, and have some left over cash, is there really much of an improvement in terms of accuracy between the hk91 platform and a saiga 308 or vepr 308? All I want is a reliable 308 rifle capable of 2 moa, so if an AK can do it for cheaper I'd consider that instead. The cash I could get by trading down can go a long way in college!

Anyway, thanks to anyone who read through this! Know it was a very long post, but if anyone can chime in with ammunition suggestions I'd be very grateful.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This info is baised on shooting various H&K 91's since 1977.

First try some Federal 150gr ammo with the Ballistic tip bullets and the Barnes X bullets, then try some other Federal 150gr loads. Try some of the 168gr Federal Match, and other Federal loads with 165 gr bullets. I would try some of the Hornady loads as well.

Keep us posted on how she shoots.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nejohnnyd, Welcome to the Forum.
First let me say that since you choose the PTR Rifle, you should try 1 type of ammo at a time. My rifle seems to digest most ammo pretty well, some better then others. One guy I know, his PTR91 really likes Silver Bear and another Russian brand, I think it's MFS (?). The key is to make sure your Bolt Gap stays in the comfort zone, Keep the rifle pretty clean. And practice , practice, and more practice. after awhile, you will know exactly, what you and your rifle are capable of.
I too like AK's, BUT, most AK's are 3"-4" moa rifles. A VEPR in .308, with a 20" barrel may just get you into the 1.5-2.5 moa capability. But then again, you will need to do the same thing, find it's favorite round, and Practice, practice and practice. AK's can be fun, but you have so many more options with your PTR91 Rifle. With the K Model, you can put an HK93 Wide Forearm on it with an HK Bipod. It would look cool. And remember mags are CHEAP right now. Saiga or VEPR .308 mags cost alot more.
I hope you have alot of fun with your 91. OH, I use a Clubfoot Stock also, how do you like yours? Shooting prone is really nice with it.
Good Luck with your rifle. And again, Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nejohnnyd,
Welcome to the Roller-Lock Club and to the best site online!
All of my HK and HK Klone (all recent Klones are PTR) guns have "MOSTLY" liked the NATO spec ammo of 145-150 grain.
A couple liked the 168 grain, but they have all shot everything fed them fine (1979 to present!).
I strongly agree with NE450No2 about trying the FEDERAL ammo. You might even get the best results loading your own ammo!
I find my guns shoot the surplus German DAG ammo and British Radway fine for my uses (1MOA or slightly over!).
Keep everyone posted on your results!!
Later,
BANGER53

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I am doing a summer internship in Connecticut, so my PTR can't travel with me. But as soon as I get back to The Commonwealth I'll try out some of the suggestions. Thinking back on it, practice seems like a big factor. I am still a little uncomfortable with 308 recoil, so once I get used to that a bit more and find ammo the PTR likes I'm sure groups will improve. Anyway, Federal 150 grain ballistic tip is at the top of my list now!

NavyChief, the clubfoot stock was definitely the best investment I could have made in th rifle. I bought the rifle used, and the dips**t before me had removed the mechanical buffer in the stock and replaced it with one of these:
<http://www.buffertech.com/HK-9193-Recoil-Buffer-P12.aspx>

Anyway, the recoil was atrocious. I was getting bloody bruises every time I shot it. With the clubfoot stock and a 21e two stage buffer the recoil is unbelievably more controllable. I haven't actually tried it prone yet, but the design of the stock helps with bench rest, I've found. All those parts really make the PTR a heavy thing though!

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll post another thread or reply to this one once I get back into a gun friendly state...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts