HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an apple and oranges topic, but this will be my first HK and I am torn between getting the USP Tac 40 or P30 40. I did not get the chance to fire either of them, but was able to get to handle both. With only that, I can note make up a decision. Perhaps you gentlemen could share your thoughts to sway me in a certain direction!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If you are going to get a can, get the Tactical model. Otherwise, the P30 wins in ergonomics for me. Either way, you win because it's an HK.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I second that. Deeply dismayed that I still cannot get a threaded factory barrel for my beloved P30L. Other than that, it's the finest handgun currently being manufactured anywhere on this planet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Trigger in the USP tac will be nicer than in the P30 and may be slightly more accurate (debateable tho). Like apollo said, if you are going to run a can then its a no brainer for the Tac, besides that get the one that feels better in your hand

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents! The ergonomics of the P30 is very good. No plans of getting a can in the near future, so your thoughts are well appreciated. Just thought the Tac 40 may have barrel or trigger components that are better.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you can find a tactical for a good price go for that one IMO. I searched for about 8 months (scared of buying guns online) before giving up and just getting a USP 40 FS. I still haven't been able to find a Tactical though I see P30s somewhat often. Either way you go, it's going to be an HK so the quality is going to be there and you will love it. Just remember to post pics whenever you get it and shoot the hell out of it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a USP .45 tactical & a P30s in 9mm, the P30 feels like you took a wad of clay, squeezed it and it stayed that way. Then HK made it out of polymer. That being said, the match trigger on the tactical models will blow away any other HK trigger. If you don't have plans for a can I recommend the P30. The match trigger will spoil you if it is your first. Then you'll end up getting trigger work done on every gun after!!! JM2C

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting chango! I take then that all the Tactical models are equipped with match triggers? Trigger manipulation is very important to me more than ergonomics. May be a game changer!!! Thanks! Choices.... choices....

·
Registered
410 Posts
i started with a USP tac 40. followed by a p2000 LEM. the match trigger is indeed sweeter. It did spoil me to some extent, but i find the LEM to be a very shootable system as well. i went with the USP because i was coming from a 1911 platform and am used to that safety lever position. another reason is i shoot in competition, the USP has a jet funnel kit for it, whilst a p30 doesn't

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Blazer, signs show that I may be heading towards the Tac 40.... Would still appreciate more feedback!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that does reinforce going for the USP Tac 40! You all have been very helpful!

·
Registered
410 Posts
from a concealment standpoint, the USP with flat base mags has a shorter grip making it more favorable for FBI carry, whilst the p30 has a shorter barrel making it more fit for appendix carry. the tactical has a tall rear sight though, which sort of sticks out when carried FBI (4:00 position with 15 degrees forward cant)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Good to know, but won't be used a concealed carry, but more home defense and some maxpedition sling carrier. Blazer, have you maintained your Tac 40 to this day? Thanks for your information, could sure use any data on the USP!

·
Registered
410 Posts
yes it's an AI datecode tactical with a few mods. its got adjustable mepros which i really like. the flat spring is changed to the nickel plated one, and it uses an HK45 safety lever. the decocker is disabled with a V9 plate, and a jet funnel magwell was added. the thread protector is an AAC with an integrated rubber o-ring, and the rail adapter is GG&G. My jet funnel white mags are internally modified to hold 17 rds. i have 2 cans, a big one and a small one, for business purposes.

Getting more technical with the USP, it's got a "recoil reduction system" which places a harder second spring at the end of the slide's stroke. it creates a softer recoil impulse and makes the gun outlast its owner. the problem is, it's not competition friendly, in that it makes the gun wobbly and acts oversprung even if the stock spring on the .40 is 12 Lbs. the gun's front sight during shooting is a bit unpredictable with the front sight usually dipping low after each shot, slowing down the shooter when delivering fast strings/splits. this issue is absent in the P30, it having a faster, sharper recoil impulse, but the sights returning home more consistently. with hotter loads though, the USP's recoil is noticabely harsher but the sights become loveably consistent. I'm hoping to mimic this behavior by using a lighter 10 LB wolff recoil spring, thinking it will allow the gun, while using standard loads, behave how it does while using hotter loads. I also read bruce gray say that the bounciness issue is more prevalent with the 9mm USP than in the .40 feeding major PF loads, which helps me conclude that the stock spring setup prefers very powerful ammunition. my solution is not conclusive though since bruce said he went the other way... harder spring so as not to bottom out the setup at all. he said it became reasonably fast.

right now my order for the light recoil spring hasn't arrived. so i really can't tell for sure yet if it soes the supposed issue. I also have grams engineering magazine parts on the way, to make my jet funnel mags fit 18 rds. good luck in your choice Jmad. both guns have their pros and cons but one thing for sure is that theyre both phenomenally accurate and reliable. I believe the USPt .40, if setup right, will get you close to an STI performance - this from a 1000% cooler gun

·
Registered
205 Posts
Go for the USP! I'm so annoyed by the lack of p30L models. If its such a great gun, and it is. Why isn't HK putting more of these out there, especially in the 40 cal. I think I've given up and once they do surface I'll probably be so pissed that I won't buy one. I know my mindset will change though. I love my usp40

·
Registered
363 Posts
yes it's an AI datecode tactical with a few mods. its got adjustable mepros which i really like. the flat spring is changed to the nickel plated one, and it uses an HK45 safety lever. the decocker is disabled with a V9 plate, and a jet funnel magwell was added. the thread protector is an AAC with an integrated rubber o-ring, and the rail adapter is GG&G. My jet funnel white mags are internally modified to hold 17 rds. i have 2 cans, a big one and a small one, for business purposes.

right now my order for the light recoil spring hasn't arrived. so i can't tell for sure yet. I also have grams engineering magazine parts on the way, to make my jet funnel mags fit 18 rds. good luck in your choice Jmad. both guns have their pros and cons but one thing for sure is that theyre both phenomenally accurate and reliable. I believe the USPt .40, if setup right, will get you close to an STI performance - this from a 1000% cooler gun
If you are not going to carry it I wouldn't even consider the P30. You are getting so much more with the Tactical. Even though I love my P30, something about the USP feels right in my hand.
Blazer- 2 questions. 1.where did you get your AAC thread protector from? I have been trying to find one with no luck. I have seen It on a couple sites but everyone seems to be out of stock. 2. How are you modifying your jet funnel mags to add capacity? Different springs? I am interested to know. Would like to do it with mine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very interesting chango! I take then that all the Tactical models are equipped with match triggers? Trigger manipulation is very important to me more than ergonomics. May be a game changer!!! Thanks! Choices.... choices....
Jmad, the compact Tac. mods. do not have the match trigger, I ordered a USP Comp. Tac. from descriptions that were on line and in catalogs at the time (late last year) and then found out that they did not have the match trigger and had to change my order to a FS USP Tac. which did have the match trigger... The fine folks on here saved me on the match trigger, so thought I'd pass the info on to you... I do love the match trigger in my FS USP 45 Tac. for sure...
Have a good one...Tater2...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jmad, the compact Tac. mods. do not have the match trigger, I ordered a USP Comp. Tac. from descriptions that were on line and in catalogs at the time (late last year) and then found out that they did not have the match trigger and had to change my order to a FS USP Tac. which did have the match trigger... The fine folks on here saved me on the match trigger, so thought I'd pass the info on to you... I do love the match trigger in my FS USP 45 Tac. for sure...
Have a good one...Tater2...
^^^^ this. Sorry forgot to mention that. I just assumed you were looking at the full size. Oh well, you know what they say.....

On a side note, not only is the match trigger a joy to shoot, when you break down the gun to clean it you get another visual treat looking at all the "jeweled/polished/engine turned" parts that come with it.(don't know exactly how you would describe these, but I am also a watch collector/fanatic and those are the terms you would use for the internals on a nice swiss movement)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts