HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this compensator? I am curious to hear the reviews.

HKParts.net sells them

PWS FSC556 - HKPARTS.NET

Thanks!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
That brake comes standard on the SCAR 16S. It's a very nice compensator, probably one of the best out there insofar as reducing muzzle climb. It is very loud, and isn't what I would call a "squad friendly" device. I've attended a few carbine courses with guys using it, and they don't make friends quick.

What are your intended uses for the weapon?

-W

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think one of the pluses is that if you live in a ban state (ie: New York) you can pin this, and hang your hat on the fact that they got an ATF PLR stating that it is not a flash suppressor. Yet many folks will tell you that it does reduce the flash some what more than most brakes, but obviously less than a true flash suppressor.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Try a Battle Comp. It's much less offensive to your neighbors than the brake in discussion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be used for target shooting. carbine courses and looking great in the safe!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Okay.

So for target shooting, understand that compensators do not do much from a bipod or sandbag supported position. These are not "muzzle brakes" per se. These are devices used to redirect recoil to reduce muzzle rise for faster follow up shots. You may not feel anything different then a standard A2 cage from a bipod. So, the PWS is just going to piss off your neighbors at the range by making he concussion from your puny 5.56 feel like a .338. If you do your target shooting offhand, then disregard this, because from a standing position, the difference is dramatic.

For carbine courses, as mentioned, they're a bit annoying to your neighbors and can be irksome when practicing buddy drills with someone using them.

I have to second the recommendation of the battlecomp given your use case. The battlecomp isn't as good of a compensator, but honestly, we're dealing with 5.56 here. The battlecomp does reduce muzzle climb quite a bit, and it does so without the annoying concussion of some other brakes. I run one (a 2.0) on my MR556. I'm trying to be objective though. If you said your primary use was 3gun, I'd recommend another device.

-W

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I would like to get into 3-gun after I am more proficient with the MR.

LP - LOL!

Okay.

So for target shooting, understand that compensators do not do much from a bipod or sandbag supported position. These are not "muzzle brakes" per se. These are devices used to redirect recoil to reduce muzzle rise for faster follow up shots. You may not feel anything different then a standard A2 cage from a bipod. So, the PWS is just going to piss off your neighbors at the range by making he concussion from your puny 5.56 feel like a .338. If you do your target shooting offhand, then disregard this, because from a standing position, the difference is dramatic.

For carbine courses, as mentioned, they're a bit annoying to your neighbors and can be irksome when practicing buddy drills with someone using them.

I have to second the recommendation of the battlecomp given your use case. The battlecomp isn't as good of a compensator, but honestly, we're dealing with 5.56 here. The battlecomp does reduce muzzle climb quite a bit, and it does so without the annoying concussion of some other brakes. I run one (a 2.0) on my MR556. I'm trying to be objective though. If you said your primary use was 3gun, I'd recommend another device.

-W

·
Banned
879 Posts
OP, the other guys in thread have been very.....uh....."nice" in describing this muzzle brake.

Yes, it reduces muzzle climb and flet recoil.

But if my buddy who has one on his AR decides to shoot next to me again without warning me, i'm going to take his rifle and shove it up his a** sideways. I'll listen to his complaints later after my hearing has returned and my head stops feeling like I just got hit in the face with a hammer even though he was at least 4 to 6 feet away from me.

It's VERY loud and obnoxious device and anybody who uses it in a situation where people are within 10 feet of eachother need to have their balls crushed in a vise......

Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, well put I would have to say. This thing ain't a crowd pleaser. Thank you all for the insight.

What do all the folks do with their SCAR 16S? No close combat drills?

OP, the other guys in thread have been very.....uh....."nice" in describing this muzzle brake.

Yes, it reduces muzzle climb and flet recoil.

But if my buddy who has one on his AR decides to shoot next to me again without warning me, i'm going to take his rifle and shove it up his a** sideways. I'll listen to his complaints later after my hearing has returned and my head stops feeling like I just got hit in the face with a hammer even though he was at least 4 to 6 feet away from me.

It's VERY loud and obnoxious device and anybody who uses it in a situation where people are within 10 feet of eachother need to have their balls crushed in a vise......

Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wow, well put I would have to say. This thing ain't a crowd pleaser. Thank you all for the insight.

What do all the folks do with their SCAR 16S? No close combat drills?
Most of the people with nice stuff replace whatever they can just because it's replaceable ;) For some reason most of the Scar 16's I see have AAC compensators on them.

Unless you chop down the barrel and need the comp pinned to be legal, these things are not permanently attached. I've attended a class where the instructor handed a guy an A2 and a wrench.

That said, you can use the PWS for your 3-gun matches and put something else on when you're taking a class or shooting at the range. Or you can go all out and get a JP brake for playing 3-gun.

-W

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interesting, for some reason AAC totally slipped my mind when I was looking for a muzzle device for my MR556. Is the AAC Brakeout also considered a non-flash suppressing device by BATFE like the FSC556? Some quick searching on Google didnt pop up much reviews on it but most were pretty positive. For now, I'm pretty happy with my FSC556,

·
Banned
879 Posts
I've attended a class where the instructor handed a guy an A2 and a wrench.
-W
Nice. I wish I coulda seen that.

The neat thing about having the wrench handy is that if the dude refuses to change his comp, you can beat him with the wrench until he gives in..................A very well deserved beating I might add.

By the way, did I mention that the damn thing is obnoxious? Well, it is. Just in case there was any confusion.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've got PWS, BattleComp, and Surefire muzzle brakes on my rifles. They are all good and you'll definitely tell the difference off hand (as another member mentioned). Yes it's no picnic being on the side of one of these when someone is shooting, but directly behind the gun, no problems. Of the three I mentioned, I like the Surefires the best with the BattleComps being a very close second. PWS is good too though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like the comp. It work's very well if you are looking for a very quick follow up-shot or 3. For the shooter, I think it is a very good device.

As for the shooters friend or stranger on the range, they may not be a friend for or long and that stranger will probably stay a stranger. It is loud. I have had people come from 8-10 points away, on an outdoor range, to see what I was shooting. If shooting from a covered shooting point, contemplate double hearing protection unless you have a good set of electronic ears.

All in all, I do like it. And it looks DANG sharp!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I don't have experience with the PWS brake or the BattleComp. But from what I heard, the Battlecomp is a lot less harsh to ears and ppl beside you compared to other brakes and was designed for CQB.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't have experience with the PWS brake or the BattleComp. But from what I heard, the Battlecomp is a lot less harsh to ears and ppl beside you compared to other brakes and was designed for CQB.
All these muzzle brakes are highly offensive to those standing on the side. The one leg up that BC has is there's is also geared towards flash suppression when compared to these other brakes.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
All these muzzle brakes are highly offensive to those standing on the side. The one leg up that BC has is there's is also geared towards flash suppression when compared to these other brakes.
Agreed. From what I heard, the Battlecomp is less harsh to ears than many other brakes (not my experience, just from what other ppl said). Stacy at PWS told me that the FSC556 does an acceptable job at reducing flash.

Hopefully, people who have experience with those 2 compensators can give us some feedback.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Agreed. From what I heard, the Battlecomp is less harsh to ears than many other brakes (not my experience, just from what other ppl said). Stacy at PWS told me that the FSC556 does an acceptable job at reducing flash.

Hopefully, people who have experience with those 2 compensators can give us some feedback.
I'd love to do a test, but down here I realistically don't have a place I can fire in low light conditions. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
It greatly reduced the recoil of my PTR91. The rifle is even more fun to shoot now! My MR556 is even better with it. (please note that they take different threads, buy the correct one)
I liked the one that came on my SCAR so much, I ended up putting them on everything that would accept them. There may be a better specific purpose brake available, but this really makes your rifle just plain work better in my opinion. Besides I think they look pretty badass....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts