HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm still a noob, can someone tell me how to choose the right defense ammo for my p2k 9mm?

When I go to cheaper than dirt and search "speer gold dot 9mm hollow point 124 grain", there are 15 boxes to choose from. If I start comparing the stats, they all seem the same; except for different prices. How do I know which to buy? Is there a difference or am I being a silly blonde again?

Also, do I need to get +P, or is that just a marketing ploy? I've read that +P causes excessive wear on the barrel, is that true? Since my p2k is still pretty new (only 500 rounds through it) should I avoid +P till it's broken in? Or just avoid it all together?

No ammo wars please, just help a girl out. I chose to start with a 9mm, until I gain proper technique and strength for a HK45c.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not quite sure why they're showing different prices for the same rounds. Some of it may just be older or newer, considering the packaging they show. It's still the same stuff.

The +P tends to be slightly more expensive, and one of the results on there is Speer's "Short Barrel" version. Same load as the standard, but they have a different hollow point design to ensure proper expansion at the lower velocities common to shorter barrels. Not something I'd be concerned about in your case.

The top two hits (100 count) are just for the actual bullets, not loaded ammo.

Also, if I may suggest, DO NOT buy the 20 round boxes from cheaper than dirt, where you're paying over a buck per round with shipping. I can direct you to some places where you can get the 50 round "LE Only" boxes for around 50-60 cents per round.

+P in general will cause more wear, but unless you're shooting large amounts of it, it's not anything you'll need to worry about. Your HK is rated for it.

Otherwise it basically comes down to preference. There are different factors and reasoning behind each load, but you'll be fine with any quality JHP. I prefer Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T, all in 124gr, 124gr +P and 147gr.

Keep in mind you'll have different recoil impulses with the different loads as well. A tad snappier with the +P.

·
Registered
10,275 Posts
+P or +P+ ammo isn't really intended for punching paper, unless you're financially well off. It's more of a "hurt the bastage as much as possible" round, intended for self defense, in other words, a "carry" round.

·
Banned
18,622 Posts
Not quite sure why they're showing different prices for the same rounds. Some of it may just be older or newer, considering the packaging they show. It's still the same stuff..
Because they ship from different warehouses. There are 3 different warehouses that they use, mainly their own (B) and the other 2 (A and C), which are their distributors.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Try 124+P Gold dots. If you can find them in 50 round boxes, buy at least 4 or more. I also like Federal HST rounds, in 124+P and LOVE the 147+P HSTs. Again, find them in 50 round boxes for the lowest prices. For practice rounds, the cheapest brass cased ammo you can find.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I carry Winchester ranger T +p's. It is the new "black talon" but they are not black anymore. Or called Talon cause that got a bad name in the 90's thanks to rumors and lies. The RA9T is the standard 147gr and the RA9TA is the 127gr +p. To me it is a wicked round for the money. sgammo in oklahoma has pretty decent prices on it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
+1 for the Winchester Ranger T ammo. It is a consistently hard hitting, expands well and will do the job. While it's a little spendy, the alternative isn't worth considering and this would be an excellent choice for your use. The Speer Gold Dot stuff is pretty good as well. Most of the higher end ammo will work for you, just try a couple and see which one is best for your needs. Agree with M_E_ on range ammo. Just use what works and spend as much time practicing as you can afford. Here's a couple of tests.

40 Smith Ranger: .40 S&W Winchester Ranger T-Series 165 gr Ammo Test - YouTube
9mm Gold Dot: Ballistics Gel Gold Dot HP 9mm, 9mm +P Short Barrel, .40 S&W, Winchester Ranger 9mm NATO - YouTube

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is why I came to this board, the knowledge. Thx guys!

For range ammo I've used Magtech 115g so far. Is that decent to use for indoor paper practice?
As for carry ammo, seems the concensus is to use +P. But some say 124g and others 147g. How different is the stopping power between the two?
What are the differences in ammo brands that makes you choose one over the other?
What's a good price point for carry ammo?

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
For range ammo I've used Magtech 115g so far. Is that decent to use for indoor paper practice?
a fine and reasonable practice ammo.

As for carry ammo, seems the concensus is to use +P. But some say 124g and others 147g. How different is the stopping power between the two?
If you are stopping gelitan blocks in a lab, and measuring the results with calipers you'll find differences. Out in the real world the differences are much harder to find.

Most modern pistols are rated for +p ammo, and the better self defense ammo is often only offered in +p loading, that's why +p is being recommended.

What are the differences in ammo brands that makes you choose one over the other?
Opening this discussion will get the thread deleted. The mods here don't want ammo discussions unless its is VERY specifically HK related.

What's a good price point for carry ammo?
Life doesn't have a price point. I buy whatever I want to carry. Cash does me no good in the afterlife.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Magtech is fine. 115gr annoys me for some reason, but it works. :) Sometimes 124gr and 147gr will cycle the action better on certain pistols. For range ammo, you're good to go as long as it functions reliably.

As far as a consensus on carry ammo, you're going to get a hundred different opinions. You really will be fine with any of the loads using a premium JHP round.

I personally don't get hung up on 'stopping power'. +P will have a bit more pop, but there are times where higher velocity can actually equal less penetration, and the +P doesn't open up *quite* as large as the standard loads. It certainly appears better as far as numbers go, with a higher muzzle velocity and energy. 147gr, as a generalization, opens up the most, considering there's more material to expand. Keep in mind we're talking about very tiny increments between the weights, and there are a plethora of factors that can of course effect bullet behavior even in the same load.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference for any given reason, and what has you convinced. Again, you'll be fine with any of them.

Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Winchester Ranger T
Remington Golden Saber
etc., etc.

As far as a price point on 9mm carry/self defense ammo, don't pay more than mid to mid-high $20's (prior to any additional shipping) for 50 count boxes. I can direct you to a few sites where you can purchase if you'd like.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You don't need +P, it won't hurt your gun, but maybe your hand. You want to stop an attack if you are carrying, but remember that a miss or a mistaken hit with "more lethal" round can just as easily do more damage to an unintended target. With few exceptions in our kinds of encounters, standard 9mm ball ammo in the chest or head is going to stop an attack, anything else is extra. One beauty of defensive ammo is it propensity to stop inside the body instead of going through.

Practice with any reliable ammo. HK specifically rejects steel case ammo, for multiple reasons, some of which are real and some are overly cautious. As to wear, any kind of plated or jacketed bullet should be good. Unjacketed lead bullets tend to foul the barrel over time and should be avoided on indoor ranges.

Higher pressures (higher velocities) will tend to wear everything a bit faster, and even a small pressure increase may change how you shoot and how long you can shoot.

My P30 seems to have the best combo of recoil and accuracy with 124-135 gr bullets at about 1000 fps. My P200SK is 357 Sig, so I can't comment specifically, but it likes 125 gr also, albeit at a higher velocity. It is still just as accurate in my hands as the P30, short barrel, short grip, and all.

Specifically, the P30 performed accurately and consistently with Federal Champion 124 gr, which CTD seems to no longer carry. I bought about 600 rounds from them for a course last month, and it was inexpensive, flawless, and clean-burning.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Hornady Critical Defense. It's what I use in both my duty and concealed guns, though I don't carry concealed yet (need to get that permit).

The XD is a .45 ACP.

Edit: I agree with the above... That's why I didn't pick +p or +p+. Rather not hit someone unintended with anything, but if I had to, I would rather it be a lower energy round...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.