HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question - so please show some patience.

About 2 years ago I bought 2 HK416 uppers. Believe the date codes were AF and AK. They obviously weren't cheap but I figured they would probably hold their value. Have been using the AF (which showed a little wear) as a shooter. AK date code upper was in very good shape and has basically stayed in the box it came in. Both uppers came with everything but the lower receiver (they actually included the lower receiver as well, but sliced in half). Shortly thereafter Brownells started offering what they described as an exact duplicate of the HK receiver - apparently it was built on HK tooling. Seemed intriguing, so I bought one. If my memory is correct I paid about $145 for it, but it was a while ago so I could be mistaken. Put that receiver in the same box as my untouched AK date code upper.

I want to be clear, at this point I have no interest in selling either of these, so this is not a stealth for sale ad. However, having not visited this site in some time I'm surprised to see what are described as Brownells/HK lowers going for pretty hefty sums. Is this the same lower receiver I bought a couple of years ago with HK parts (which I have) installed? If so, I'm kind of surprised at the prices.

Again, I am not interested in selling anything at this time and plan to hang on to everything since I suspect/hope prices may continue to increase. So, I'm not soliciting offers and will not respond to any inquiries. Just want to know if I'm missing something when I look at these prices.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
They’re no longer offered so people have been paying high prices for them. What you’re seeing is supply/demand

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I agree, the Brownells kits for HK416 and HK417 were discontinued after the supply ran out. The HK416 lowers are very much in demand and the prices show especially on Gunbroker. I built my HK416 upper from HKParts and a HKpro stainless steel barrel. I later purchased the Brownells BRN-4 lower and a de-milled lower parts kit. HK parts are always sold out and in demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
According to Brownells when the first offers them, they had obtained the un-machined HK lower forgings and obtained the other HK 416 and HK 417 upper and lower parts to put the kits together. They sent the lowers to PWS for matching to HK specs. That is what I remembered, anyone please add if I missed anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know where the supply came from and why it ran out?
I think it's more complicated than "they came from Brownells". I believe these lowers were made with HK tooling (I suspect in Germany), which is what made them interesting/desirable to begin with. Brownells imported them and offered them for sale. Originally, you had to sign up for Brownells "Edge" to buy one. I think they were subsequently released to the general public. I'm not sure how many they sold or why they can't do another production run if they have access to the tooling. However, in hindsight I'm kind of wishing I'd bought a couple when I had the chance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, yes afang is correct/has refreshed my memory. They were HK forgings and PWS did final machining. I suppose this explains the limited numbers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@holshot36 is correct. 2,220 lowers is still alot in the grand scheme of things. Anyone claiming they're "rare" is stretching the truth.

My understanding is Brownells purchased 2600 but only got 2200 forgings.
I've also seen raw/partially completed forgings from ZIB floating around on GB so Brownells wasn't the only buyer.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
@holshot36 is correct. 2,220 lowers is still alot in the grand scheme of things. Anyone claiming they're "rare" is stretching the truth.

I've also seen raw/partially completed forgings from ZIB floating around on GB so Brownells wasn't the only buyer.
They were for sale prior to Brownells buying them out.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
If I recall, these were the last forgings HK had of the old/original lower pattern. That was why HK sold off the forgings.
I could be wrong though

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I picked up a raw forging from Zib and use it as a paperweight on my desk. I’ve got three of the Brownell’s lowers and my highest serial is around 2100.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you want an idea of current value I just bought a brand new BRN4 for $700. When I read how much you paid for yours I sighed LOL. Oh well supply and demand, if there really aren't any more of these then it's worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
1,578 Posts
If you want an idea of current value I just bought a brand new BRN4 for $700. When I read how much you paid for yours I sighed LOL. Oh well supply and demand, if there really aren't any more of these then it's worth it to me.
Sounds like you got a good deal - but mine is a completed lower & paid $1500 - Good luck rounding up parts - it can be done

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal - but mine is a completed lower & paid $1500 - Good luck rounding up parts - it can be done
I'm in the middle of assembling an HK LPK and it's getting close to what you paid lol. Was your BRN4 completed with German parts?

·
Registered
206 Posts
A brand new unmarked (stripped) BRN-4 in its original packaging showed up on GB Friday with a BIN of $1,500 and was sold by the time I woke up Sunday morning. I think you made out at your purchase price of $700. Nice find!

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
1,578 Posts
I'm in the middle of assembling an HK LPK and it's getting close to what you paid lol. Was your BRN4 completed with German parts?
yes - I think it can done for less but I know how much time it takes rounding up parts and I just decided to go this way - + shipping & sometimes tax etc.

I can go SBR but that takes time & money too. Plus a pistol is easier to sell/trade so it’s an option to consider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts