HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard that you can convert the ar 15 magwell to accept g36 mags. can anyone give me some truth or false on this one. im still looking for a full conversion if i can ever get my brother to mail it off but i plan on buying a cheap 1100 or 1300 dollar one in the future and doing my own work to it. just to try my hand at it.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Normally you remove the SL8/G36 paddle mag catch to use the AR magwell, so you would need to have that to be able to use G36 mags. Also, the AR mag catch is going to be resting on the side of the G36 mag, although that may be more of an annoyance than a real problem. But, even if it is possible, why would you want to? G36 magwells are cheap, even cheaper if used. If you are going to spend the money for the mags, buying the proper magwell isn't an issue for most people.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Normally you remove the SL8/G36 paddle mag catch to use the AR magwell, so you would need to have that to be able to use G36 mags. Also, the AR mag catch is going to be resting on the side of the G36 mag, although that may be more of an annoyance than a real problem. But, even if it is possible, why would you want to? G36 magwells are cheap, even cheaper if used. If you are going to spend the money for the mags, buying the proper magwell isn't an issue for most people.
My understanding is that the advantage of the G36 mag over the AR-15 is that it has a constant curve so there is no chance of the follower or rounds misaligning/binding b/c of the lack of the dog leg on the G36 mags and the anti-tilt follower prevents follower tilt and allows for smoother travel compared to the USGI green follower. Also, it is easier to make a durable polymer mag for the G36 b/c polymer generally needs to be 2-3x thicker than steel for the same strength.M16 mags are rate at under 10K service life while the G36 mag is rated at 17K service life (yes mags are disposable items but you do save money if your mags last longer during high round count training). However, the disadvantage is that the G36 mags are not readily available, proprietary, would be a pain in logistics if you are operating/cross training with other militaries that use the M16 mag and from what I heard the locking tabs may get snagged in the pouches. Also, M16 mags have been improved compared to before with products like the pmag and magpul anti-tilt follower. A few years ago, G3 kurz said "HK has a M4-style magazine conversion kit (mag well) completed and tested for the G36 so after years of resisting that they have finally realized the value and some large customer must be asking for it somewhere." I'm not sure what happened to that project now. From what I heard, G36 mags are more expensive on the US civilian market compared to M16 mags, which is a disadvantage. Probably for a large military contract G36 mags would be cheaper since polymer mags are cheaper than metal mags once the mold has been made vs stamping/folding metal.

The two companies that make AR-15 magwells for the G36 are North Eastern Arms and Spuhr. Also, representatives of both companies are members on this forum so you can PM them if you have any questions.

http://northeasternarms.com/accessories/heckler-and-koch/g36-sl-8-ar-magwell

http://www.spuhr.com/g36.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i want to use the ar15 magwell because it has the window on it. i want the window to keep debris and what not out of the rifle. i just held another g36k today that was owned by a croation soldier across the hallway. i am definately going to get the full conversion on my first sl8 and make it a g36k but i have a hera conversion with a acr stock i am going to put on another one in the future and i was just wondering is it possible to convert the ar15 magwell to take g36 mags? if not then i will just get some ar pmags. i was wanting to use what i had though. thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i want to use the ar15 magwell because it has the window on it. i want the window to keep debris and what not out of the rifle. i just held another g36k today that was owned by a croation soldier across the hallway. i am definately going to get the full conversion on my first sl8 and make it a g36k but i have a hera conversion with a acr stock i am going to put on another one in the future and i was just wondering is it possible to convert the ar15 magwell to take g36 mags? if not then i will just get some ar pmags. i was wanting to use what i had though. thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it
I don't think it's possible to convert the AR-15 mag well to take G36 mags b/c the G36 mags are much thicker. Also, sorry for the hijack but how was feedback from the Croatian soldiers on the G36?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they love them. they said and i quote "this gun is being better than any gun i am being ever issued it is always being clean after shooting and very light" the turks have the g3? not sure they called their rifles g3's. its okay i dont mind a hijacked thread makes for really good reading and idea development. i appreciate the info guys

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think it's possible to convert the AR-15 mag well to take G36 mags b/c the G36 mags are much thicker. Also, sorry for the hijack but how was feedback from the Croatian soldiers on the G36?
This

If you want to use G36 magazines in a converted SL8 you need to further widen the magazine well (further than was done to accept AR mags). It is not something for an amatuer to attempt because you could end up taking too much material out and crack the receiver. The SL8 is very thin on the left side of the magazine well, even thinner than the right and when you take out the AR magwell and attempt to put the G36 one on you see there is that "idiot window" on the top (the AR well has the piece that sticks up to cover this window). The magazine well needs to be plastic welded over and strenthened with a piece of metal in order to cover up the window.

Tom Bostic and Chopstix do this kind of work and they are very good at it. They do the best conversions out there and they will do the magazine well work if that's all you want done. Tom just fixed my rifle a few months ago and I was very pleased.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
they love them. they said and i quote "this gun is being better than any gun i am being ever issued it is always being clean after shooting and very light" the turks have the g3? not sure they called their rifles g3's. its okay i dont mind a hijacked thread makes for really good reading and idea development. i appreciate the info guys
Thanks for the info. Anyways, glad you found the info helpful and that's what a forum is for: sharing experiences or info with other people and learning new stuff about firearms, not illogical arguing like BARFCOM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For your SA my G36 was set up exactly the way you describe and it had a lot of issues. I bought it with the AR magwell and I was using PMags in it and the bolt hold open would not work most of the time and I was getting a fair amount of double feeds. This is not to say that it will never function in this configuration but as you can probably find from other folks on this forum, the rifle was not meant to function with AR magazines.

·
Banned
88 Posts
I recently did this conversion myself to use the AR mags in my SL8 and I found the cut that was made to the magwell was not as hard as I thought it would be. As for what was said right before me, the only thing I have experienced was the bolt catch does not seem to want to catch on the last round. A bit annoying but I've not had a single double feed as of yet (I put 600 or so rounds through it with the new modifications) so I guess it comes down to how would you like your SL8 set up :)

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
The BHO not working consistently is a very, very common complaint on the AR magwell. When I had one, it usually wouldn't work, plus the mags had some play in the well. Didn't really have any feeding problems, but I didn't use it for long before I went to the G36 magwell. I got my G36 magwell before all of this window cover stuff came out, and I didn't have any particular problem with the hole in the side, except for the look. Eventually got the cover when I sent it to Chop for the rear end conversion.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I agree on using the G36 magwell and G36 magazines. Sometimes you can get good deals on HK factory G36 mags too. The big plus with the PMags is they are both affordable, readily available, and also count as 3 US made compliance parts for 922r.

I use the PMags and they perform perfectly, look great, and feel beefier than the factory G36 magazines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts