HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
I heard on the internet that the G28 has a steel upper receiver. SHOT Show 2012: HK Announces 7.62 Trio | Gun Digest - The World's Foremost Gun Information Authority

Does anyone know why HK chose a steel upper instead of a aluminum upper? Does anyone if the G28 upper receiver is sheet steel or milled steel?
The G28 upper is steel and not sheet steel. It was used to provide additional rigidity to the barrel to improve accuracy. A very similar thing was done with the G3 SG/1's wherein the sheet steel receivers were hardened with Tennifer to improve accuracy.

One interesting point on the G28 tan color is that the German Army specified that particular shade. It is in fact the same shade used by the German Army during WWII for the Afrika Corps.

G3Kurz

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Wait, the G3SG1 receivers were treated with a tennifer finish? That's a bit of trivia I did not know. I wonder if there in a comercial outfit that does tennifer? Back when I went to Glock armorer school we were told the tennifer process was not done in the US because the EPA banned some of the chemicals used in the process.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
If anyone at SHOT can get a spec sheet on the G28 IE scope:xxx, mount:xxx I would greatly appriciate it.

Since we will never see the G28 as a civi weapon I am forced to create a mock-up using a MR762.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
If anyone SHOT can get a spec sheet on the G28 IE scope:xxx, mount:xxx I would greatly appriciate it.

Since we will never see the G28 as a civi weapon I am forced to create a mock-up using a MR762.
And I know you are looking into a Tennifer process right now.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
And I know you are looking into a Tennifer process right now.
There appears to be a few places that do Tennifer finishing but yet GLOCK says they can not provide finishing services due to FDA/EPA regulations.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
There appears to be a few places that do Tennifer finishing but yet GLOCK says they can not provide finishing services due to FDA/EPA regulations.
Funny thing is Tennifer was not developed as a firearms "finish" but as a hardening process for cutting tools. Gaston Glock used it for protecting the metal surfaces of the G17. It has been used for that purpose by others as well of course, HK included.

G3Kurz

·
Banned
879 Posts
Tennifer is simply a brand name for a nitriding process. The original process involved cyanide which is why it was a no-go for the EPA here in the states, but since then the process has evolved and there are now nitriding processes that don't use cyanide salts and which is what we se used here in the states under such brand names as "melonite" and the like.

A steel upper receiver that has been nitrided would provide a superior platform for accuracy in an AR style platform. And if the barrel were nitrided, it would provide a very accurate platform for a very, very, very long time. I'm gettin' hard just thinkin' about it.....

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
The G28 upper is steel and not sheet steel. It was used to provide additional rigidity to the barrel to improve accuracy. A very similar thing was done with the G3 SG/1's wherein the sheet steel receivers were hardened with Tennifer to improve accuracy.

One interesting point on the G28 tan color is that the German Army specified that particular shade. It is in fact the same shade used by the German Army during WWII for the Afrika Corps.

G3Kurz
Precisely. The barrels are also pressure fit. The uppers are heated to allow expansion and then the barrels are pressed in and secured with a barrel nut. It's a heavy bugger but just awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts