HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I heard the mass of the SCAR's bolt and the resulting high peaks in recoil impulse led to SOPMOD II optics breakages.

Since the G36 bolt and bolt carrier are similar to the SCAR, does anyone know if the G36 suffers from the same problem as the SCAR (high peaks in recoil impulse which lead to optics breakage)?

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I have over 7K in the SL8 conversion and the Short dot/ T1 micro are still running strong.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
No sir I do not.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sir I do not.
No worries. If the G36 is less likely to break optics, does anyone know the technically reason why optics break more often on the SCAR compared to the G36? On lightfighter forum, one of the moderators said that for the SCAR "the accelerometers showed a lesser overall impulse with a longer peak, but a harsher peak and more abrupt curve in the peak at cartridge ignition."

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Without knowing the cartridge loading, barrel length, optic and mount in use, it seems a bit general to simply say the SCAR (or whatever) gun breaks optics.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
True C length(G36 barrel) with IMI ammo, KAC NVG "superhigh" T1 mount Aimpoint 4moa T1(KAC battery cover)
16in SL8 barrel IMI ammo, NF 1piece mount with S&B ShortDotII.

If IMI is not available I shoot M193.(not. XM)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without knowing the cartridge loading, barrel length, optic and mount in use, it seems a bit general to simply say the SCAR (or whatever) gun breaks optics.
Both DocGKR and a moderator on lightfighter forum said that optics breakage on the SCAR was a problem.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
I have on my real full auto G36C the dual optics and this rifle is most of the time fired in full auto.
So far no problems in like 5 years.
My guess is, there are other factors.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Honestly, 2 people on a forum saying optics break is hardly an issue.

I have select-fire SCAR's as demo units in both calibers and have not had any issues with Aimpoints or Trijicon products on them.

Lots of people own SCARs and shoot the piss out of them.
If it was that big an issue, SOCOM would not have just ordered more.

Optics can have issues,

EOTech has already changed their SOPMOD II Optic to the EXPS from the 553 because of issues in the field with mounts (from EOTech Rep at recent demo).

The ELCAN "allegedly" has had repeat zero issues that have been corrected over time (according to internet forums), yet every action picture shows deployed troops with Elcans.

Need a little more info on how the SCAR itself directly resulted in optics breaking before I am concerned.

The G36 bolt group has less mass than the SCAR bolt group and rides in a polymer receiver vs the SCARs aluminum receiver.
Hard to really compare the two on an impulse issue.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. It seems that the G36 doesn't have the problem. I think it may indeed be the mass of the G36 bolt group having less mass than the SCAR and perhaps the recoil impulse is more steady and evenly distributed throughout the pressure curve. Don't get me wrong, the SCAR is an amazing platform. The mod on lightfighter who said that was RGRGordo. I'm not saying that SCARs destroy optics easily, just saying from what RGRGordo has said, it seems like optics hold up better on the other weapons compared to the SCAR.

I am still a huge fan of the SCAR and do not believe the SCAR is flawed. It just seems that this is an issue but I am sure it's not a huge issue. BTW, I think the Mk20 is superior to the M110.

Also, on M4carbine.net, Larry Vickers said that currently he thinks the Mk17 is one of the best battle rifles.

·
Registered
230 Posts
IF (IF) any of this is true then it could be because the G36 bolt group has less mass - like the other poster here already pointed out - AND because the G36 sight rail is placed far away from the bolt group so it doesn't make any kind of close contact with it; whereas the SCAR's monolithic upper/sight rail is part of the upper receiver (where the heavy bolt group ride on) so therefore it makes very close contact with the SCAR's heavier bolt group.

That's just my guess, I haven't witness any optic breakage with the SCAR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts