HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a couple of H&K maritime coated Mags. All my other mags are made by Colt.
Will the H & K mags springs hold up to pro-longed periods of being full to capacity ??
I usually load 18 rounds in my 20 rounders .....28 in the 30 rounders..thinking this might off-set spring fatique.

I shot 120 rounds out of one yesterday without a burp. Just wondering about leaving them loaded with 30 rounds ??

Thanks

sandhog

avatar in honor of LCDR Kieron O'Connor 10-28-99 RIP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not worried about function as much as good ol spring fatique from keeping them stoked up with 30 rounds. They seem to be well built. I have approx 30 other mags all made by Colt. I'm going to try a MagPul brand as soon as i can find a couple.

sandhog

avatar in honor of LCDR Kieron O'OConnor 10-28-99 RIP

·
Registered
117 Posts
Keeping magazines fully loaded will do nothing to the springs. The constant loading and unloading of mags is what breaks a spring down. I've shot some of my Grandfather loaded magazines that he has had ammo in since Korean conflict and had no problems. But I have had Colt AR range mags pop because of all the abuse. No worries about long term storage.

I'm not worried about function as much as good ol spring fatique from keeping them stoked up with 30 rounds. They seem to be well built. I have approx 30 other mags all made by Colt. I'm going to try a MagPul brand as soon as i can find a couple.

sandhog

avatar in honor of LCDR Kieron O'OConnor 10-28-99 RIP

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mags can stay loaded for years, never had a problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am NOT a fan of HK AR-15 mags. If you are just going to the range they will work fine. But they do not withstand alot of abuse and they are hard as hell to clean. They are also heavier than the standard aluminum mags. That little bit of weight matters when you are wearing body armor and carry other mission essential equipment. You cut weight where you can, they are not practical.

Just for everone's FYI, mags that are stamped "Colt" where not made by Colt. They where made under contract by other companies, mostly "OKay Industries". Their mags are the only ones that Colt guarantees in their AR's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts