HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my understanding that the usp and usp compact pistols were initially designed around the .40 and all the "p" series resigned around the 9mm, including the p 30. My question is. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Good question. I look forward to hearing from more knowledgeable folks than me. :wink:

My guess is that the USP pistols were designed for the .45acp cartridge since they are rated for +P/+P+ .45acp and the P series for the 9mm Nato which is a European standard. ....

I look forward to more clarification on this issue too.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Good question. I look forward to hearing from more knowledgeable folks than me. :wink:

My guess is that the USP pistols were designed for the .45acp cartridge since they are rated for +P/+P+ .45acp and the P series for the 9mm Nato which is a European standard. ....

I look forward to more clarification on this issue too.
ETA

I don't think the .40 caliber ( a bastard size ) was ever a consideration with HK when they designed their pistols. Just my HMO.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
The first USP was a .40. The 'P' Series are based on the USP. One can only draw conclusions from the lineage, yes, the USP was designed around the .40.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Gtmtnbiker98 has it right.

ETA

I don't think the .40 caliber ( a bastard size ) was ever a consideration with HK when they designed their pistols. Just my HMO.
The USP was designed specifically for the American LE community in .40S&W. See here:
The World of HK - The USP

The USP45 debuted 2 years after the USP40/9 and was developed separately so that it could handle .45 and whatnot. It is not simply a 9/40 fitted for .45 dimensions, unlike how Glock simply took their 9mm guns and rebored them for .40. See here:
The World of HK - The USP45

The P30 was most likely designed around the 9mm since that's what the original prototype P3000 was chambered in, and no mention was made at the time to also produce it in .40. In addition, the only agency purchases of the P30 have been in 9mm...so I would think they developed it for those groups of agencies.
See here:
The World of HK - The P30 (Originally P3000)

·
Registered
527 Posts
The original plans for the USP frame had it carrying a Picatinny rail. Joe Jones with Fed Ops at HK was concerned that with this rail it would step on the contract restrictions with the DoD & the Mk 23.
It was then decided the USP rail would be what we see today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the input. I only ask because I'm a bit if a traditionalist. Like a 1911 should only. come in 45acp and NOT in 9mm. And a Browning Hi Power should only be chambered in 9mm and not .40s&w. I guess this means I'm getting old. :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts