HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this brochure HK M27 IAR, the M27's parts life is listed as 10,000 minimum. Previously it was said that all HK416 parts have a 15,000 minimum service life. Did HK use a different type of material for the M27? Or was the M27 subjected to a more harsh firing schedule than the HK416.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Could it not be because of the requirements for each gun? I'm just speculating here, but wouldn't the M27 usually be fired on full auto as opposed to the 416, which would usually be semi? Wouldn't full auto put more wear and tear on a firearm?

Again i am just guessing here.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Could it not be because of the requirements for each gun? I'm just speculating here, but wouldn't the M27 usually be fired on full auto as opposed to the 416, which would usually be semi? Wouldn't full auto put more wear and tear on a firearm?

Again i am just guessing here.
That's my guess as well. My guess would be that an Infantry Automatic Rifle would be fired more on FA (harsher firing schedule) than an assault rifle.

I just want to make sure what the reason was for the different service life.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
In this brochure HK M27 IAR, the M27's parts life is listed as 10,000 minimum. Previously it was said that all HK416 parts have a 15,000 minimum service life. Did HK use a different type of material for the M27? Or was the M27 subjected to a more harsh firing schedule than the HK416.
This depends on conditions, firing cadence, cleaning and lube, ammo used, etc. As a Infantry Automatic Rifle one could expect it will be run harder than a rifle but also these numbers are estimates based on select tests. It can change with any change in these metrics.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've often wondered that myself. I know that I blew through somewhere around 2400 rounds in about a week in 2003, all through an M-249. After that I kind of lost count. I would estimate in a month (+/- a few days) somewhere around a total of 5000 rounds. Taken into account the circumstances and all, that means that in hard combat the average service life of an M-27 is +/- 3-6 months.

There are all kinds of variable to that of course, but it did get the wheels turning. I am sure that it is more robust than that, and I also know there is very little comparison to a Light Machine Gun with changeable barrels and an automatic rifle, but it is an interesting thought process. After all, the primary job of the Automatic Rifleman in the USMC Fire Team is suppressing fire.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I've often wondered that myself. I know that I blew through somewhere around 2400 rounds in about a week in 2003, all through an M-249. After that I kind of lost count. I would estimate in a month (+/- a few days) somewhere around a total of 5000 rounds. Taken into account the circumstances and all, that means that in hard combat the average service life of an M-27 is +/- 3-6 months.
When I buy car with 3year/100.000km warranty I do not expect it to disintegrate after warranty period expires. Actually probably this car, if properly maintained, will go 3 or 4 times that in acceptable way.

10.000 rounds is guaranteed MINIMUM service life with no loss on performance since new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts