HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i dont know if anyone here knows about Frontsight Firearms... but ive just spent about two weeks out there with my USP 45 Fullsize and got myself a distinguished grad award! besides the fact that the instructors dont like the USP at all and say its too difficult a gun to operate under time pressure which i have found to be BS, beating everyone but one or two people in my class in the skills tests i would like to ask about the sights. i have stock nightsights on my USP and i BELIEVE my trigger control is fine and all other factors of accuracy are there (ive put less than two thousand rounds downrange tho with a handgun in my life and 1200 have been in the last two weeks) so im sure i have lots of room to improve. but they have a test called the one ragged hole drill which is very self explanatory.... i was looking around and ive seen a lot of adjustable sights on HK's on this site and was wondering if it would help me to switch the sights. it seems like my stock sights completely take up the 1 inch square that we use as a target for this drill and my group is almost 4 inches wide..... im wondering if there are any thinner front sights avail for the USP or what the more experienced folks think, is it solely my gun handling skills? or would new thinner sights possibly help me a bit? its frustrating to kick ass in the timed skills tests on controlled pairs, but then when i have the time to slow down and take well aimed shots i get my butt kicked?!?

just so you know im not aiming with the trinium dot im using the top of the sight, but it seems to me the thing is so wide im just all over the place.... keep in mind the very little handgun experience ive had, do i just need more practice or what?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not the most experienced one here by far - and I'm sure others will chime in - but in my opinion, the USP front sight is no wider than on most tactical handguns. These guns and their sights are not made for target practice - the sites are there for quick aquisition of target. You could change to 'target' sights if you wanted to - however, if he people kicking your ass are also using tactical personal defence handguns, then maybe you just need more practice. In fact, I find Glock sights to be the hardest by far to use - they're huge - I can't see anything behind them, and they're probably a handgun your instructors would favor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well your right about the glocks, the instructors say glocks and 1911s are the guns everyone gets the handgun combat master with and nobody has ever done it with an HK, and thats mainly why i want to. but the last class i was in was 90 percent 1911 shooters with upwards of 5 years handgun shooting experience, compared to my few weeks of actual training... And to top it off the only other person to score as high as me on the test was shooting an XD40.. but when it came to untimed hole on hole accuracy we both got our butts handed to us. so your likely right about the tactical sight thing you said. i guess it would be best to stay with the tactical sights assuming i placed second over all these shooters in timed shooting from concealed holster and all my hits were deadly enough to be happy with, i can hit the cranio ocular cavity spot on the target fine under time pressure its just the hole in hole shots i have a problem with, but since this is the weapon ill be shooting when i make marine recon id rather learn the tactical ability rather than precision shooting.

like i said its frustrating to be able to put two well placed shots on target in 1.5 seconds then slow down.... and where i should do better..... do much worse. haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it boils down to what your goals are. It sounds like you've got the practical, real world type under control so far. That's what's going to matter if you ever have to use your weapon in self defense.

I tend to get caught up in bullseye shooting when I'm at the range and get upset when I'm not shooting as well as I know I can. Then I take a step back and think about the practicality of what I'm doing. If I'm shooting wider groups than I think I should be, I look at it and realize that I'm still hitting COM or vital areas that I aim for... regardless if they're 1/2" groups or 3" groups.

If your goal is to be a bullseye shooter with 1" groups at 25yds, then you need to reevaluate your training and equipment. If your goal is to be equipped and prepared for a self-defense situation... I think you're doing a great job so far.

This is all of course my rookie opinion. Take it for what it's worth. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, my problem, embarrassing as it may be is that these shots were taken at 7 yards..... and i couldnt get my groups smaller than 4 inches. haha. anyway it seems i just need more practice, with the miniscule amount of experience i have shooting handguns, and most of it with this gun, i guess i should just be happy i beat everyone else and practice more with the sights i have. now that i rethink it 8 days of shooting isnt enough time to be getting down on myself about accuracy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts