HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an SP5 recently and decided to get an HK branded MP5 Flash Hider.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but do you leave the thread protector on underneath the flash hider when it's mounted to the tri-lug?

If I take the thread protector off, the flash hider wiggles a lot. If I leave it on, it snugs up the fitment of the flash hider - takes away like 85% of the wiggle.

Anyway, what is the preference? Does the thread protector stay on (I would think so since I'm not threading anything by using the tri-lug)?

If it stays on underneath the flash hider (or another tri-lug mounted device), will the thread protector ever be in danger of coming loose?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
My thread protector would eventually rotate loose even with a tri-lug flash hider or suppressor, so I bought an o-ring for 9MM threaded barrels off HKParts. Snug up the TP against the o-ring and it will push the threads together with enough force to keep the TP from turning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thread protector would eventually rotate loose even with a tri-lug flash hider or suppressor, so I bought an o-ring for 9MM threaded barrels off HKParts. Snug up the TP against the o-ring and it will push the threads together with enough force to keep the TP from turning.
Hmmm interesting - sounds like a good idea to me.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoy the SP5.
This is probably the coolest firearm I own - I just cannot believe I own a real genuine German made MP5 (in semi-auto of course).

I never thought this day would come.

I'm definitely onboard the HK train now - already looking at other HK stuff.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
422 Posts
Or go to your local auto parts store and get a bag of a hundred for two bucks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't have any thread-on 9mm submachinegun suppressors, so I just locktite them on. Three lugs are awesome. I really wish they didn't have the threads, but I can't complain I suppose.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Or go to your local auto parts store and get a bag of a hundred for two bucks.
Can you give the size?
Would love to know what size works for you, because all the sizes I bought from the local hardware store, which has a good selection, all failed in one dimension or another. Just a hair too thick radially (likewise a hair too thick in ID) will prevent my 3-lug piston from slipping over, and a hair to thick axially won't allow the TP to compress the o-ring enough. The HK manufactured o-ring is a perfect fit.

Sucks to pay more than 25 cents for an o-ring, but when it comes to HK, it is what it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts