HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the military version of the Mark 23 (MK23 Mod 0) have tighter barrel and chamber. Does this mean that MK23 Mod 0 can't shoot hollow point rounds?

I'm just curious

Thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
thats just a rumour.

HK STATES that BOTH the MARK23 and MK23 Mod-0 have an SAAMI Spec chamber, and that the only difference is that the MK23 Mod-0 has a feed ramp that is specifically designed for reliable feeding, with the 1911 Ball .45 FMJ ammo, and the +P 185 grain JHP rounds.

The speculation of the tighter chamber, was made by a third party machine shop mechanic, that apparently did several measurements on several barrels, and came up with a .002 inch tighter chamber on the military barrel.

I cant say if this would make much noticeable difference, if only making feeding less reliable with NON military spec. ammo.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's not a rumor. They do have a non-SAAMI chamber as indicated by the HK catalog. This has also been confirmed by CCFA which imported Mk23 barrels made for UAE.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the iinfo gents

But I'm a little confuse, why limited the MK23 Mod 0 only to military ammo? Since it is a military hangun, don't they want it to be reliable with ALL different type of ammo?

Is it because, military .45 ACP rounds WON'T function reliably with SAAMI spec barrel?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I suppose they have no reasoning to make it compatible with anything BUT military ammo.

If they can make the gun more functional with military ammo, at the expence of being a little more proprietary, then they'll do it. I guess the tighter chamber would make less room for the case to expand, and less inconsistancies.

Kind of like high-end-rifle owners fire forming the brass for extreme consistancy, except in this case your tailoring the chamber to the ammo.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's no different than having a match barrel made with tighter chambers. All it does is become less tolerant of rounds not made to spec.

MIL-C-1311 governs 45ACP ball ammo for the 1911. The specs aren't anything unusual. 230 gr. bullet @ 855 fps @ 19,000 psi.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Scooter, I think CCFA is the site I have been looking for years. What does CCFA stand for? Thank for your help.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Capitol City Firearms. They no longer have a webpage or do sales. They have gone over to making metallic Glock-like frames.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts