HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a used USPc40 locally. Price seems on par, but the gun is 10 years old. Seller is original owner.
Should the fact that it is 10 years old stop me, given it is in good working order and so on?

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nope. Just make sure the gun was properly maintained. Expect night sights to be dark by now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Trijicon sights on my 10 year old glock are still as bright as the day I bought it. But, I guess case by case.

Anything to look for, inspection wise?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Unless you're saving a few hundo, just buy new. I completely agree that it should still be in good working order no matter the reasonable round count if it was even minimally maintained. For me, I wont buy a used gun unless new is unavailable or I'm saving a few hundred dollars or more. I wouldn't pay more than $550 for a 10 year old used gun even if it was a safe queen. For $250 more you can buy brand new and get the new car smell.

YMMV

·
Registered
32 Posts
USP40

I've got one of the original USP40s that came out in the 90s and other than a little holster wear it is in just as good a shape as the day I got it new. I wouldn't think twice about buying another that was 10 years old as long as you can see it was taken care of properly.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the price is around $550ish.
Buying new, only one place locally shows 1 in stock, $850, plus taxes and all puts it $920+.

From what I can gather, it is a safe queen.

Field strip, what should I look for, as I am new to the HK.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Not really much to look at. For such a reliable, accurate handgun, the USP is pretty simple internally. Just make sure the entire action works smoothly, no excessive wear anywhere and no rattle between the slide and frame. As always, look through the barrel to make sure the bore's in good shape.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yeah, the price is around $550ish.
Buying new, only one place locally shows 1 in stock, $850, plus taxes and all puts it $920+.

From what I can gather, it is a safe queen.

Field strip, what should I look for, as I am new to the HK.
USP's are tanks so if it looks good, you're probably GTG after an initial inspection. Not much more you can do than just field strip it, and hope for the best. It's always a gamble when buying someone else's stuff. Definitely look for things like bulging barrels and any stressed polymer on the frame. ..of course make sure when you manipulate the action it is smooth and not gritty or God forbid CRUNCHY, lol. Also look at the slide to check for any stress fractures especially around the front near the guide rod spring support.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Unless you're saving a few hundo, just buy new. I completely agree that it should still be in good working order no matter the reasonable round count if it was even minimally maintained. For me, I wont buy a used gun unless new is unavailable or I'm saving a few hundred dollars or more. I wouldn't pay more than $550 for a 10 year old used gun even if it was a safe queen. For $250 more you can buy brand new and get the new car smell.

YMMV
I feel the exact opposite. I never buy new if I can find the same thing slightly used and well maintained for a significant discount. Especially on HKs that have a lifetime warranty. The difference between new and 50 rounds fired on a USPc is 100 to 200 bucks. Would you let someone blow a box of ammo through your pistol for $150? I bet you would. What's the difference. There's nowhere for abuse or neglect to hide. If you inspect it and all looks in order then it's good to go. There's so many great deals around it's extremely hard for me to justify wasting money just to say I was the first to shoot it. Obviously everyone has a different view on this but this philosophy has yet to steer me wrong.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feel the exact opposite. I never buy new if I can find the same thing slightly used and well maintained for a significant discount. Especially on HKs that have a lifetime warranty. The difference between new and 50 rounds fired on a USPc is 100 to 200 bucks. Would you let someone blow a box of ammo through your pistol for $150? I bet you would. What's the difference. There's nowhere for abuse or neglect to hide. If you inspect it and all looks in order then it's good to go. There's so many great deals around it's extremely hard for me to justify wasting money just to say I was the first to shoot it. Obviously everyone has a different view on this but this philosophy has yet to steer me wrong.
+1 on that Brownie. Especially with HK pistols. I've never been hurt when buying used at a considerable mark down.

·
Registered
881 Posts
^ +1 I agree. These HK's are built rock solid. I wouldn't think twice about buying a used HK if it were well maintained

·
Registered
132 Posts
Add me to the happy used crowd. If I can get a well maintained HK for the price of a new glock, it's a no brainer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I always buy new unless its not made anymore. I bought a USP45 ss made in 96 for $600. It has been rock solid, but a cop friend of mine owned it and litterally left it in his closet for 15 yrs. Other than P7 series guns I say save the extra couple weeks and go new. Used gun usually = you inheriting someone else's issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For what it's worth I just purchased some retired LEO USP .40's for $424. they have been maintained and are in great shape. One had a lot of makeup encrusted in the grips which
belonged to a female detective. The trigger pull is awefull but besides that I think I got a great deal and they all shoot good. Hope the owner of this thread gets a good deal on his
purchase.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For what it's worth I just purchased some retired LEO USP .40's for $424. they have been maintained and are in great shape. One had a lot of makeup encrusted in the grips which
belonged to a female detective. The trigger pull is awefull but besides that I think I got a great deal and they all shoot good. Hope the owner of this thread gets a good deal on his
purchase.
Wish I could find some around that price. I ended up finally breaking down and buy BNIB for $750+tax (BA date coded USP .40) and then the next week at a gun show spotted a used for $550. I'd be happy to pay $424 for a USP with or without makeup.

New or used it's an HK and it will function. It would take an awful lot to destroy a USP.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I always buy new unless its not made anymore. I bought a USP45 ss made in 96 for $600. It has been rock solid, but a cop friend of mine owned it and litterally left it in his closet for 15 yrs. Other than P7 series guns I say save the extra couple weeks and go new. Used gun usually = you inheriting someone else's issue.
After the Brand New SIG .40 POS jam-o-matic I bought before my used HKs I think I will stick with a used model thats been shaken down also...I see where you are coming from but to me that extra couple hundred $$ builds 1000s of rounds of ammo...not to mention anybody that can break a USP could screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts