HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been a long time HK fan and always wanted a roller lock rifle.
Currently I have a chance on buying an unfired JLD marked PTR-91 with low serial number (A4XX) for $950. I done some research here and seems like they have issues with these earlier ones.
Can the issues be fixed (if it proves to be problematic) and How much am I looking at spending in order to fix it? What should I look for when inspecting one at the dealer?

Any advise/opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That should be a good one. JLD had some problems with the first ones with very low serial numbers. I have an original JLD PRT-91 SN A18XX and it's great. I just measured the bolt gap and it's still sitting at 0.017" to 0.018" and it came with a FMP bolt carrier. From what I understand the JLD produced one were made from FMP kits that they got when they bought the receiver stamping dies. Sounds like a great deal for $950 since you would be hard pressed to have one built for that cost.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Currently I have a chance on buying an unfired JLD marked PTR-91 with low serial number (A4XX) for $950.
Virtually no reason not to buy. Reasonable price, and if unfired I'd already have put my money on the counter and left the shop with it.

I done some research here and seems like they have issues with these earlier ones.
Can the issues be fixed (if it proves to be problematic) and How much am I looking at spending in order to fix it? What should I look for when inspecting one at the dealer?
Well its is an early one, but not early enough for the problematic ones. So you'd have to not buy it, and then seek out an even earlier model, then you could fix its problems. =)

The problem was improper welding of the trunion, and that lead to a soft trunion. The fix is remove the barrel/trunion and put in a new trunion. Requires cutting/grinding/welding, and refinishing of the gun when its all done.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That serial# is good to go, I have an A4*** jld91k ,these have Wilson barrels and are very well built. Mine came with rheinmetall carrier and Hk bolt head. Runs amazing a d very accurate and have 10 flutes in the chamber. Makes no differnce compared to the standard 12 flutes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts