HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still pretty new to firearms so bare with me if I'm asking stupid questions. I was wondering if the MP5 and Sig 556 are legal in Illinois to own. Specifically in Lake County. Would I just check the Illinois State Police website, or do I have to find out from the county itself? Also are there more forms or a different type of FOID card you need to own these types of weapons?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jackman covered the basics (MP5: No, HK94/Sig 556: Yes) but in Illinois firearms ordinances are passed by the local municipality. The list on the ISP site is here: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm Some of them may disallow the HK94 and/or the Sig 556 either specifically or due to their attributes. Check for your town on the ISP website (I just moved out of Lake County and don't recall any towns up there being too crazy).

As for forms, in IL you need your FOID but that's it if the gun is legal in your town. If you lived outside of IL and in a place where an MP5 was legal, you would need an extra tax stamp as a real MP5 is full-auto and a short-barreled rifle and requires registration with the ATF.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the inputs. I checked the ISP website and the closest area on their ordinance page is Grayslake. Didn't see anything in it regarding what weapons are unlawful to own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question on SBR's. I know SBR's are illegal in IL. I read the "CRIMINAL OFFENSES (720 ILCS 5/) Criminal Code of 1961" and it states that the barrel length must be longer than 16". Does that include rifles with a flash hider. So if the barrel length was 14.5" and you add a flash hider to bring it to 16" is that then legal or is it still illegal because the actual barrel is 14.5"?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Another question on SBR's. I know SBR's are illegal in IL. I read the "CRIMINAL OFFENSES (720 ILCS 5/) Criminal Code of 1961" and it states that the barrel length must be longer than 16". Does that include rifles with a flash hider. So if the barrel length was 14.5" and you add a flash hider to bring it to 16" is that then legal or is it still illegal because the actual barrel is 14.5"?
It most regulations, as long as the flash hider is permanently attached, it is ok. By permanently attached, it usually means screwed on, pinned in place, and then the pin hole is welded shut. It's permanent, but can still be removed with a grinder and replaced with a functioning one should you move to a less restrictive state.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Aviator Dave beat me to it,but just what he said. If you buy a HK94 clone the fake suppressor is pinned also to get the 16" you need to be legal. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses!!! So here's another question. I was looking at various stocks for rifles and I came across one that stated "has not been approved by the BATF for post ban use". Does this mean that the stock is illegal to use? I don't understand why the stock would make it illegal if it still falls within the size range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The stock you refer to is collapsible, correct? Without more info I'm guessing, but it probably had to do with the legal definition of an "assault rifle" and the features the DC politicians decided we are/are not allowed to have in the 1994 Crime Bill. With the expiration of that bill though, things have changed on what you can and cannot do/build.

Since you were looking for an MP5 or Sig 556, the 556 comes from the factory with a collapsible stock option. With the HK, if you go with a clone they have various configurations, and if you get an HK-94, I think they are all "pre-ban" so they can have a regular or collapsible stock on them.

This is my understanding, but it's dark waters to tread in. More information on the stock and the gun you want to put it on would help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Thanks for the responses!!! So here's another question. I was looking at various stocks for rifles and I came across one that stated "has not been approved by the BATF for post ban use". Does this mean that the stock is illegal to use? I don't understand why the stock would make it illegal if it still falls within the size range.
The BATF does not approve or disapprove any stocks for any rifle, so it is a factually correct statement that that one has not been approved. Meaningless, but correct. Just because it's not approved doesn't mean it needs to be, and doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Another example might be be, oh, a barrel shroud. They are still banned in California, so they might put the same statement on one for sale.

Or the seller may have meant that it is an imported stock so it doesn't count as a USA made part for compliance purposes. Or it could mean that in the sellers area, folding stocks are not approved on post ban rifles.

Or it may be just one of those phrases people that don't know any better like to put on their ads that are simply unnecessary, like "All NFA Rules Apply" when the sale item is a full-auto MP5 bolt carrier. It's unnecessary because there are no NFA rules that apply to an MP5 bolt carrier - it's an unregulated item.

So to answer your question, it depends on which firearm you are talking about, which stock you are talking about, where the seller lives and where you live. Or it could just be a non-sensical statement the seller felt compelled to put in his ad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been leaning a bit more towards the Sig 556. Looking at different stocks as I don't like the looks of the OEM one. Here are links to some of the ones I was looking into. The first one is I think is the same one off of the "SWAT" model 556.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MAG310BLK

http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_76&products_id=186

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACEARFXC
The first one is the same as what comes on the "SWAT" model 556, and while I don't have a 556, I do have that stock on an AR and I love it. I can't speak to the regular 556 stock, but it or ones like it are very popular on ARs as well.

Megasports down in Plainfield has a bunch of 556s (regular and SWAT as I recall) in stock; the prices aren't as good as online, but retail never is. Best way to see if you like it is to handle it in person. I'm considering a 556, but only if I can dress it up like the 551/552. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts