HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before on this forum, but I still have a question. I would like to refinish the slide on my solid black USPc9 to match as closely as possible the finish on my factory original USP45 SS. Right now I'm inclined toward NP3, but I'm not really sure, and I don't have access to real-life samples to compare. One thing I'm sure of, I wouldn't want a flat finish like that found on the FNX-9. What other options are there? What would be my best choice? TIA

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
You wont be able to match the stainless color. Pick your white finish, then choose a reputable shop and send the top end parts you want finished[not the frame]. Hard chrome is the king of white finishes. The nickel base finishes[NP3 etc.] look good, but wont hold up like hard chrome. USP in hard chrome by Tripp[Not mine].
My stainless USP .45.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your post reminded me of my Metro Arms American Classic finished in hard chrome that I sold a couple of years ago. That particular finish sure looked like the one on the USP45 SS, maybe a little shinier, which I don't mind. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My knee jerk response to this question is always "Why?" Pistol ain't gonna shoot any better. Reminds me of putting shiny stuff on my pickup truck tires. :wink:

If you're in a corrosive environment and the pistol is rusting look for a finish to prevent this but otherwise nothing is gained by refinishing. I've seen some problems with function with refinished pistols as the finish material changes the dimensions ever so slightly.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
169 Posts
My knee jerk response to this question is always "Why?" Pistol ain't gonna shoot any better. Reminds me of putting shiny stuff on my pickup truck tires. :wink:
Some people like to make their guns different. Question for you then is, Why not? It is his gun and his money.

OP- Check out these companies: Customized Creations; Alternative Coatings, Inc; Phantom Finishing; and CCR Refinishing. I would just use the information on their sites for research purposes and if you like their work and price, then go for it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks paperchasin! I now have 9 companies to research. Tripp no longer does refinishing, so that was a letdown. I'm now checking APW Cogan, and will follow up with the other 8 during next week. Lots of useful info in those sites. As to the reason for refinishing, I just plain like the SS finish better, and it would match my UPS45 SS, which is probably the best and most beautiful gun I own.I tried swapping my all-black AK USPc9 for an SS one, but the only one that came up was an old KE [?] that needed some work, so I kept on looking.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I fully understand "Just 'cuz" as a reason. The Lord knows I've used this as a reason for several things!

I just prefer to spend my disposable income on function not form. Yeah, I fitted FDE color handguards and grip to my LWRC M6-SL carbine and owned (past tense) a Kimber pistol too... :wink:

In this case, though, I'd be inclined to spend the money spend on the cosmetics on a good weekend tactical pistol course, something I strive to take annually.

-- Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts