HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Billistics MP5 (RR) converted before 1986. The code on the gun is IE, which is 1985 I believe.

I understand the conversion done to the reciever, as well as the mag release.

My question is regarding the bolt carrier and barrell.

1.) Regarding the bolt carrier, I was under the impression that they were rewelded, however it doesn't appear to be rewelded, as well the code is JA. Is it possible they just replaced it w/ a full auto carrier as opposed to a reweld.

2.) I was also under the impression that the barrel was "cut down" from the HK94 to a MP5 length (9 or 10 inches I think) The code on the barrell is also JA. Is this a true MP5 barrel, how can I tell. Can one purchase a "true" factory fresh MP5 barrel.

3.) Also regarding the trigger pack, did the conversion company just buy a bunch of F/A trigger packs and put them on the gun, or were these modified in some way ?

4.) And lastly, regarding the recent production parts (date code AG etc.) how does the quality of these parts compare to the 80's stuff. better, worse, the same ??

Thanks for all your help on this, I'm pretty new to this and even though I've read a lot on it I don't understand everything. Just trying to get an understanding of the "inner workings" of the conversion companys. I'd have to assume back in the early to mid 80's there was nearly the demand for work on class III guns. Thanks again.:13:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
My MP5 is a conversion by Flemming. Excellent job!!

I checked out my trigger pack and found it is the real thing. It was not a semi that was converted over or the sear hole drilled in a different location.

·
Super Moderator
4,383 Posts
mp5a3, if your weapon's conversion was to what is referred to as "registered receiver, push-pin", then the conversion was merely to the upper and not to the trigger group--just like LEO's example. If yours is set up this way, you can use any factory full-auto trigger group that HK makes for the MP5. Quality will not be an issue, regardless of era, IMHO.

As to your barrel, it seems likely that someone pulled the original and installed a new one. This is not terribly unusual--especially if the gun was shot quite a bit by a prior owner after conversion was completed. You see MP5 barrels come up for sale all the time on gunbroker or here on this site. Also, you'll see parts kits and many folks snap them up.

As for your bolt carrier, it's likely that somewhere along the line a factory full-auto carrier was installed. Not a problem at all IMHO. I'd prefer it over a reweld, were it mine; however, having said that, I'll add that there is nothing at all wrong with a good re-weld job performed by the trusted HK-smiths out there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll take some pics tonight of the bolt carrier and see if anyone here can tell. I remember someone saying at the time the parts were hard to find and some of the shops did modifications instead of replacing the parts. It's awesome that now HK factory parts for MP5's are very easy to come by, and not real expensive (considering what the guns cost)

Does anyone have a close up of a rewelded carrier ?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I do not have a picture, but on my welded carriers they are off color (not as dark) as the rest of the carrier. I had them reparked after they were welded. I think (don't know 100%) that the weld is harder which is why when it is parkerized there is a slight discoloration.

I will try to get a pic up so you can see what I am writing about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts