HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i decided i want to purchase a bipod for my PTR91 but ive seen a few around and need advice. Now im looking for quality so i assume in this case its "You get what you pay for".

This one, made by ProMag for 46 bucks:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=418327

Or this one, assuming this is the real deal, for 140 bucks:
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=1177&Category_Code=HKA+HK91G3+BIPOD

Now is there REALLY that much of a difference. Ive heard the Promags are wobbley and cheap but at the same time some say they arent...
I will most likley purchase the more expensive one but i would like to see some opinions, because its always good to save a few dollars :D

And while im hear i have another question:
The claw mounts for the 91s, do they leave marks on your rifle?

Thanks
-Brian

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
stay away from Florida Gun Works

try to buy a genuine HK Bipod, yes $100-150

yes, all claw mounts will leave marks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh ty, but i have ordered from FGW before. It was pretty much the only site that had Wide Forearms in stock for 91s lol, but only problem is it took me forever to get it. Where do you reckon i could find a geniune one online? The next gunshow is far off and i havnt seen any there last time anyway

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gordon Miller. $200 for a brand new German HK

ahh ty, but i have ordered from FGW before. It was pretty much the only site that had Wide Forearms in stock for 91s lol, but only problem is it took me forever to get it. Where do you reckon i could find a geniune one online? The next gunshow is far off and i havnt seen any there last time anyway

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes , stay away from Florida gun works. The promag bipods are total junk which I found out the hard way after buying a bunch of them. The factory HK bipod is the only way to go if you want to attach it to the factory forearm slot but they are still very unstable because the gun rocks back & forth. The best route to take is the HK Heavy bipod that mounts to the front of the reciever by the trunnion but they are around $400 to $450 if you can find one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For another stable bipod setup you can go with a rail forearm and adapter for a Harris bipod or others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
bipod with plastic feet

I have an HK light bipod with plastic feet, the bipod itself is fine, the feet are fragile though. I think I would buy the all steel version next time, an all steel HK light bipod runs around $150.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have the promag bipod. I will confirm that it's on the wobbly side. The latches don't really catch well, but still it's well enough to shoot. I wouldn't bet on them staying up if you're taking the gun into the field though, those legs may fall down and not stay up agains the handguard.

I purchased a Versapod bipod with adapter for use on my SR9TC. I like it, plus it's the only game in town (aside from the railed front handguard) unless you want to drill into a wide handguard. I bought some slimline handguards with the intent of drilling them, but their fitment sucked and I don't think the final product would have been any good.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Hmm. Maybe mine just aren't folded and unfolded as much as some of yours are, but I have 2 real HK bipods, and one Promag one. They both are about the same as far as folding and unfolding. I didn't even know which one was which until I once bought an HK one that was new in wrap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Harris with stud mounted through the rivet hole or HK metal and you will be happy ... otherwise ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The rail in am94pm's pictures is a Knight's Armament RAS. They're somewhat hard to find. Googling "knight's armament hk-91 ras" brings up a few hits, such as Impact Guns, although they're out of stock. Sometimes GunBroker has them, too.

I've been looking at getting an RAS for the express purpose of mounting a Versa-Pod on my PTR. An HK wide handguard plus bipod for $325 seems pretty spendy when the more functional rail-based setup wouldn't be much more. Then again, it doesn't look HK. A wide handguard with attached lower rail instead of the bipod notch would be ideal, but I'm not up for hacking one myself. Yet, anyway.

·
Registered
872 Posts
different Approach

I'm going to chime in here and give some information for a different ideal.
http://www.tiptacon.com/default.htm.

The gentlemen has looked at a efficient ideal that some here have been discussing. I have never purchased and/or used his product. It looks to be cost effective?

Could we please get some combat vets, active duty military personal, professional security and/or actual police officers thoughts about this type set up, I would very much appreciate appreciate it.

I think that you could attach a Harris bipod to the rail and/or use the HK bipod, its really up to you what works best.

Please note that Numrich gun parts has wide hand guards for sale $49.00 + shipping.

I apologize in advance if this information has been posted in the past.

·
Registered
25 Posts
11C ABN: Interesting. Thanks for the link. That rail looks pretty sweet. Options, options....

By the way, I just tried to order a wide handguard from Numrich last week. They're out. I'd told a friend about it and he fired off his order right away -- and he got the last one. [expletive deleted] Lesson learned: before telling anyone, make sure you get your own order in first.

I asked Numrich if they were going to get any more in, but the rep said that they'd gotten a one-shot deal from the factory and don't know if when they'll have any in stock next. That was the best price I'd seen to date on the handguard: everyplace else seems to want over $100.

·
Registered
872 Posts

I believe there is a member here who has new in the wrap wide green hand guards for $75.00 shipped.

I have purchased from him and they were exactly what he stated. I will try to remember and/or if possible Paul123 has this information. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
I'm going to chime in here and give some information for a different ideal.
http://www.tiptacon.com/default.htm.

The gentlemen has looked at a efficient ideal that some here have been discussing. I have never purchased and/or used his product. It looks to be cost effective?

Could we please get some combat vets, active duty military personal, professional security and/or actual police officers thoughts about this type set up, I would very much appreciate appreciate it.

I think that you could attach a Harris bipod to the rail and/or use the HK bipod, its really up to you what works best.

Please note that Numrich gun parts has wide hand guards for sale $49.00 + shipping.

I apologize in advance if this information has been posted in the past.
I don't like the look of the long rail on the bottom, but I do find his sling technique very intriguing. It reminds me of ships trying to weather a storm by dropping anchor and pulling full steam ahead against the anchor chains. And I do want to see what his retractable stock cheek pad looks like, that would be really nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts