HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fired a USP Expert .40 Variant 1 in my search for a suitable pistol for entering the world of practical shooting. I already use a P2000 9mm SA/DA with decocker. but it is not ideal for that sport.

I cant find a USP Variant 3 to fire or try, but I am interested in this variant as the features would be similar to my P2000. I also have small hands, and found the safety on the USP was a little too difficult to use during practice.

My concern is that the trigger on the Variant 3 when decocked would be too light, (unlike the P2000!) and that the firearm would be unsafe holstered with a round breeched and with a trigger pull that is possibly too light.

I am looking for any advice opinions or knowledge that is available before I make my mind up on which version to order.

Regards from Dublin Ireland.

Tomans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second attempt

Hello again.

Just wondering if those with the knowledge dont visit Rookie Corner too often, as I got no replies to my question. Alternatively, I asked a dumb question. Let me know one way or the other!

Thanks.

Tomans.

·
Registered
173 Posts
you did not post a dumb question. i think that the v3 on the usp is not all that common and not a lot of us have experiance with it, i know i dont so i cannot speak to it's trigger feel. haveing said that i can say my uspf 45 v1 is my carry gun i like the manual safty, because i can carry the gun cocked and locked. you may find that with practice the safety lever on the v1 becomes easy to use, it did for me, anyway welcome and keep posting :62:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The V3 will have anything but a light trigger. Since there is no safety then you cannot carry it cocked (well you can carry it cocked but it would be very stupid). Your first shot must be taken DA and the pull will be between 10-11 pounds. Then the following shots will be SA with a pull of 5 pounds.
You don't need a V3 USP to try it out. Just try out a V1 and ignore the safety. Other than the safety the V3 and the V1 are identical in the USP and USPC.

Man, you have to give us time to reply. We work too and some of us do not get to just hang out on the boards all night long. And if it gets off the first page I know I will not see it so you need to bump it up. Give us time or use the search feature. Differences between V1 and V3 have been gone over dozens of times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
USP Variant 3

The V3 will have anything but a light trigger. Since there is no safety then you cannot carry it cocked (well you can carry it cocked but it would be very stupid). Your first shot must be taken DA and the pull will be between 10-11 pounds.

Thanks for the infoBig Bore. I know its Rookie Corner but the comment that I cant carry it cocked that it would be very stupid would appear unnecessary. I believe that the object of the de cocker, as on the P2000, is that it can be carried safe with round breeched and de cocked. That is why I asked the question regarding trigger pressure. By comparison my HK P2000 trigger in DA mode is quite heavy and acts as a safety trigger when breeched and decocked.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
One thing I have learned from these boards is that you cannot take what the other person may or may not know or be doing for granted. Just a few weeks ago there was a discussion about this very topic; whether or not you could carry the P2K V3 in the cocked position, so while you think it was unnecessary, and since I don't know you from Adam, I felt it was necessary to mention that because if I do not cover my butt, who will?

As to the trigger pull again, The P2K V3 will feel very much like the USP/C V3, 10-11 pound trigger pull in the DA position with follow up shots being in SA and a pull of about 5 pounds. The heavier DA 10+ pound pull for the first shot acts as the "safety" preventing the first shot going off accidentally, exactly the same way it does on the P2K V3.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
USP Variant 3

Thanks Big Bore, I appreciate your safety concerns, and understand your response.

The information you offered re trigger pressure is exactly what I needed. I wrongly believed that the Expert model had different pressures to the standard type USP models.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a V3 on my 40 full size, that decocks only. It came that way when I got it used. It's all right, but I like the V1 type lever better that incorporates the upward "on safe" mode. I'm not sure if they're all like mine, but the control lever is much wider that either of the V1 models I own, it's more like a flat paddle that's very easy to hit with your thumb.

You could argue either way as to which is safer/better depending on your intended use. For police, it cuts both ways, sometimes the added safety position can help in a weapon take-away scenario, but then if you are the user, it's one more lever to actuate to get the weapon to fire if faced with an immediate need to fire.

Also decocking back to the heavier DA trigger pull renders the weapon as safe as you can be, with your finger out of the trigger guard, and if the weapon has no manual safety control. This operation is very much the same as Sig Sauer's P series of handguns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
USP Variant

230GrainRemedy.

Excellent information, thank you. I cant find a web photo of a Variant 3 with the flat paddle decocker as you describe.
If you or any other board member know the whereabouts of a photo that shows it, I would be grateful.

Tomans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I just purchased a used USP .40 it's my first HK (I love it) but I'm not sure which varient I have. How can I figure this out? Sorry the for dumb question in advance...

XA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts