HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my continuing quest to find the "right" HK for my first purchase, I've been trying to rent and shoot as many models as I can. Today I shot the USP 9mm, USP .45, and the P2000sk in .40 S&W. I know these were range rental guns which likely don't receive the best of care, but they're HK's right? And I can't imagine rental use to be any worse than some of the torture testing I've read about here. So I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on why there were problems with them.

1. This was minor or maybe nothing, but I noticed a lot shake or wiggle in the mag of the 9mm after inserting it when the slide was locked back. This went away when the slide was released. Is that normal or anything to worry about?

2. On several reloads on the sk, both when using the slide release and sling shotting it, the first round would hang up and not feed. No issues like this when firing it. FWIW, the range ammo for all guns was PMC ball.

3. The USP .45 was the most interesting. It was a DA/SA, but every time I released the slide after a reload, the hammer fell all the way, and would not stay back if I manually tried to cock it. It was not a LEM, as it had the left side safety/decocker. When firing it, many times I had a long, but fairly light pull, while other times the hammer would stay back after the slide cycled and I had a short SA pull. I would throw me off as sometimes I would get a short reset and could fire again, where as other times it would feel like I'd found the reset point but it would not fire.

At first I thought I was short stroking it when this happened, but when I looked at the hammer, it was all the way down. A long, but again, fairly light pull would cause it to fire.

Any ideas on these problems? I know any firearm can have problems, but one of the reasons I've been drawn to HK was their reputed "hell and back" reliability. I must admit, these issues have me somewhat concerned. Any input appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
The rattling with the mags is normal and nothing to worry about. The problem you described with the .45 is not normal and there is definitely something wrong with it. Maybe the hammer spring?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rattling with the mags is normal and nothing to worry about. The problem you described with the .45 is not normal and there is definitely something wrong with it. Maybe the hammer spring?
Thanks. I'm assuming the issue with the sk and a failure to feed the first round from a full mag is a mag problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Sounds like the USP 45 was broken.

The SK was dirty as hell.

And not sure what you mean by wiggle. There is a little play in the mags for reliability. If there is crud in the mag well it allows the mag to still fall free for the most part. Almost all magazine fed pistols are like that.

Was it like this? (move ahead to 00:47, or just watch it :) )
Brushing off the dust. (HK45 and G19 range day) - YouTube

If it was, that is normal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the USP 45 was broken.

The SK was dirty as hell.

And not sure what you mean by wiggle. There is a little play in the mags for reliability. If there is crud in the mag well it allows the mag to still fall free for the most part. Almost all magazine fed pistols are like that.

Was it like this? (move ahead to 00:47, or just watch it :) )
Brushing off the dust. (HK45 and G19 range day) - YouTube

If it was, that is normal.
Cool looking vid, will watch the rest at home as 'tube viewing at work is verboten. If at the point you mentioned you were wiggling the mag back and forth and/or side to side, yeah that's what I meant. Wasn't too concerned since it locked into place with the slide forward, just curious.

Curious also on how you would equate the recoil of your HK45c to your USP.

Thx

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Cool looking vid, will watch the rest at home as 'tube viewing at work is verboten. If at the point you mentioned you were wiggling the mag back and forth and/or side to side, yeah that's what I meant. Wasn't too concerned since it locked into place with the slide forward, just curious.

Curious also on how you would equate the recoil of your HK45c to your USP.

Thx
Well the HK45c is a little snappy compared to my HK45, and USP 45. I have to adjust when I change over. But when I shoot faster, there isn't much of a difference.

If you watch the HK45c video I have up too, after that one, and move it to the 9:30ish mark, that is when I shut up and start to shoot it. Once I start shooting faster it gets smoother. I think I just shoot better faster. Something is wrong with me.

Edit. Here it is for reference. I stop talking about 9:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i6x-UzmW0w .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the HK45c is a little snappy compared to my HK45, and USP 45. I have to adjust when I change over. But when I shoot faster, there isn't much of a difference.

If you watch the HK45c video I have up too, after that one, and move it to the 9:30ish mark, that is when I shut up and start to shoot it. Once I start shooting faster it gets smoother. I think I just shoot better faster. Something is wrong with me.
Thanks. I handled the 45c again today and it's probably the best feeling in the hand of everything I've handled. The USP compact .40/9mm and the USPfs are a close second. Haven't got my mitts on a HK45 or USPc 45 yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Thanks. I handled the 45c again today and it's probably the best feeling in the hand of everything I've handled. The USP compact .40/9mm and the USPfs are a close second. Haven't got my mitts on a HK45 or USPc 45 yet.
In the words of a few people on this forum. HK got it right with the HK45/c and the P30/L. Both are great systems. The HK45c is possibly one of the most comfortable pistols I have ever put in my hands. It is also easy to shoot, once you get used to it. The learning curve seems to be less with the HK45/c and the P30's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the words of a few people on this forum. HK got it right with the HK45/c and the P30/L. Both are great systems. The HK45c is possibly one of the most comfortable pistols I have ever put in my hands. It is also easy to shoot, once you get used to it. The learning curve seems to be less with the HK45/c and the P30's.
Hopefully I can find a 45c to shoot locally before I lay my money down on something, because it's sweet!

I guess I'm just weird, but after four times out with the P30 and really wanting to like/buy one, I prefer any one of the others I've shot to it by a considerable margin. For one thing I can literally put my finger on and something I can't quite do, it just does not work for me. Perhaps down the road I'll look at it again.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Well the USP series and HK45's have less trigger travel, with shorter resets. That may be it. But other than that I don't know. I am going to have to buy mine blind, but I am excited none the less. I am sure they will shoot great with time behind the trigger. But they don't fit everyone. It may be the grip too. The other HK's you mentioned are all smooth, they don't have the spiderman/batman grip.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Yeah, that USP 45 is whacked. It almost sounds like it's a DAO except for the erratic hammer and trigger function. Sounds like someone monkeyed with it and didn't get it back quite right. Too bad. Seems like if you spend money on a rental, it ought to function properly or money back...

·
Registered
518 Posts
I remember reading about a conversion that went wrong somehow on here a little while ago. That usp was doing the same thing. I can't find it now, but I think it was a spring put in backwards or not sitting quite right or something. Might even have been broke, I'm not sure. I think montrala knew what it was.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I remember reading about a conversion that went wrong somehow on here a little while ago. That usp was doing the same thing. I can't find it now, but I think it was a spring put in backwards or not sitting quite right or something. Might even have been broke, I'm not sure. I think montrala knew what it was.
Could have been the hammer strut spring that was broken? As usual, I wish I could get my hands on that gun. I could figure it out if I could tear into it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could have been the hammer strut spring that was broken? As usual, I wish I could get my hands on that gun. I could figure it out if I could tear into it.
It was really weird. Since I was keeping the trigger depressed after each shot, trying to find the reset once I was back on target, could not gun have fired again on the times the hammer fell when the slide cycled?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts