HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im new here, got my MR223 coming in a few days.
It will be my first rifle.

I have some questions, because what I read here and what I heard from HK sometimes differ.
Also a lot of what I read here is mainly about the MR556 and I do not know the exact difference.

And before you ask, I have used the search function, but cannot find a lot of answers to my questions.
So let me throw some questions out there and see what turns up.

Changelog:
What are the differences between the MR223 and the MR556?
Is there a list of changes, instead of "I think one is made in Germany and the other in the US".

Over The Beach:
I read in the FAQ thread that the MR556 (I want to know about the MR223) is not OTB capable.
I emailed HK Germany about this for the MR223 and this was their reply.

Over the beach capability

Q: The MR223 is the civilian version of the HK416 which has over the beach capability.
A: yes

Q: Is the MR223 also fully over the beach capable?
A: yes

Q: If it should not be, would it be possible to convert it so it would be over the beach capable and what would the additional cost be?
A: - [end quote]

Dimensions of charging handle:
Does the charging Handle of the MR223 have the same dimensions as the standard AR15 charging handle?
I want to replace the chargng handle with the MechDefense TacOps-1.

Muzzledevices with M15x1 thread:
Currently Im starting with the HK flash hider, but I am looking into other stuff aswell, compensators, flash supressors/hider and Supressors.
Is there a list of M15x1 threaded muzzledevices?

Salt bath nitriding:
Does anyone have any correct factual information about the coating on the HK MR223?
I was wondering if I could salt bath nitride the barrel, but Im still not sure.

Here's wat HK Germany had to say.
Barrel treatment, salt bath nitriding

Q: There is not much information out there about the barrel of the MR223. I was wondering if it would be possible and beneficial to salt bath nitride the barrel to extend its barrel life.
Could you tell me more about the material used for the barrel and if it has been treated in any way?
In addition to this is it possible to purchase a spare barrel for the MR223 and what lengths would these be available in?

A: To extend barrel life a chrome plating can work (experienced gunsmith). We do salt bath nitride only on our pistol barrels, not the rifle barrels.
Sorry, we do not send out information about materials used. The MR223 barrel is not treated (hardened or chrome plated). This is positive for precision.
The MR 223 is available in 14,5" +16". [end quote]

This didnt quite clear it up for me, so I tried again.

Q: I have a few final questions which were raised by your answers about the salt bath nitriding.
I have quoted the little piece at the bottom of this email.

As I now understand it the barrel of the MR223 is not treated in any way.
At least not in any way that would make salt bath nitriding impossible.
Is this correct?

You mention that the barrel not being treated is positive for precision.
I have been reading up a bit on the process and from what I read it should increase barrel life, but not effect precision negatively. I am sure your company has done a lot more research and experimentation into this process.
Could you please tell me a bit more about this?

I would like to thank you upfront for all the information you have given so far and helped me in my purchase of an HK MR223.

A: Barrel treatment, salt bath nitriding
There is not much information out there about the barrel of the MR223. I was wondering if it would be possible and beneficial to salt bath nitride the barrel to extend its barrel life.

To extend barrel life a chrome plating can work (experienced gunsmith). We do salt bath nitride only on our pistol barrels, not the rifle barrels.

Could you tell me more about the material used for the barrel and if it has been treated in any way?
Sorry, we do not send out information about materials used. The MR223 barrel is not treated (hardened or chrome plated). This is positive for precision.[end quote]

So basically HK only salth bath nitrides its pistol barrels, but not its rifle barrels.
Im still not sure if the rifle barrel can be salt bath nitrided and if this would even be beneficial.

5.56 Nato or .223:
Is it possible to safely shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition out of the HK MR223?
The barrel of the HK MR223 is stamped .223. However the gun is sold on the American civilian market as the HK MR556 and both are the civilian version of the HK416, which is chambered in 5.56 NATO. Is the barrel exactly the same?

Does anyone know what the MR223 is chambered in?
Is it a true .223 chamber or is it a true 5.56 chamber?

Gas Block/Bayonet:
Apparently the MR223 has a mutilated gas block, from which HK milled the bayonet lug.
Is this easily replaced by a HK416 non-mutilated gas block?

I read a thread here that there are 3 version of an HK416 gas block with an adjustable gas regulator.
Are the partnumbers of those known yet?

Serial Number:
Where is/are the serialnumber(s) on the HK MR223?

Rail Covers:
Im interested in the Gear Sector hand stops. These seem to fit flush with the Tango Down rail covers.
Does anyone know if these will also fit flush with the HK rail covers?

Well, a big first post, but probably a lot more to come.

Thank in advance.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Yes, the MR556/MR223 barrel can be nitrided and yes, it is benificial.

·
Registered
63 Posts
M15x1 muzzledevices are "everywhere". Of course there is not the selection standard AR15's enjoy, but making a list is quite impossible. For one thing I have custom made brake on mine in M15x1. German webshops have good selection of those to start with.

In Europe terms 5.56x45 (NATO) and .223Rem are interchangeable to avoid confusion. European .223 proofing is done at the 5.56NATO pressure level. So any ammunition SAAMI or C.I.P proofed to either of the specs would be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers guys.
Going back to look at nitriding again.

And I have searched a bit on the internet but it's not easy finding muzzle devices by thread.
I looked at the AAC Blackout with an M15x1, it seems to be out of stock.
And I do not think the Smith Vortex is available in M15x1.

But I'm gonna do some more looking around and hope for some more answers to open questions.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Yes. It's been done, it works, it's a great idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
But thread is about MR223 not MR556. It is still not confirmed by HK (or any mr223 owner) about
nitring or hardering in any way barrel in MR223.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dimensions of charging handle:
Does the charging Handle of the MR223 have the same dimensions as the standard AR15 charging handle?
I want to replace the chargng handle with the MechDefense TacOps-1.
I Have bcm Vltor charging handle and don't have problem.

Muzzledevices with M15x1 thread:
Currently Im starting with the HK flash hider, but I am looking into other stuff aswell, compensators, flash supressors/hider and Supressors.
Is there a list of M15x1 threaded muzzledevices?
It's 15x1 and some brand produce with 15x1, my friend with gunshop have ordered directly to Smith Enterprise and have Vortex

The MR 223 is available in 14,5" +16".
Yes my old MR223 has 16 or 16.5 and the new MR223A1 it's 14.5

Where is/are the serialnumber(s) on the HK MR223?
I have see one on the barrel and other on upper receiver

Im interested in the Gear Sector hand stops. These seem to fit flush with the Tango Down rail covers.
Does anyone know if these will also fit flush with the HK rail covers?
I use Magpul low profile, if you need more big rail cover only advice it's look for mount near screw for remove rail

Sorry for my english, if need the vortex flash hider contact me on pvt mex

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heya everyone,

Got my MR223 a few months ago now.
Works like a charm.

Thanks for all the additional answers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts