HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a spring in one of my bastardized USP45 mags because there were increasing instances of slide lock failures. Imagine my surprise in finding out this spring was twisted in a manner that had nothing to do with the coils!

So instead of repeating the long wait I went through the last time I had H&K customer service replace a mag spring, I ordered a Wolff USP45 three pack of springs. The package arrived at the time I expected it to. But what I didn't expect was that I found that the way the Wolff springs are made there was no way the locking insert would sit flush with the floorplate and still have the spring properly oriented with the rest of the mag. But even with the unusual angle of the locking insert, I had no problems yesterday at the range. But will I have problems later on? Have I gotten a bad three pack of Wolff springs?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
what does the wolff springs look like? got any pics?

[/ QUOTE ]The H&K spring in the picture is the same (defective) one I had to take out. Just for the hell of it, I tried to bend this spring back into shape, but it's obviously not a permanent solution. The top of both springs are at the topmost portion of the picture:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Should be fine. Only thing I would worry about is that it might put a little uneven pressure on one part of the plastic base.
However, plastic bases are a cause for complaint to begin with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my wolf springs. They were very tight, but a little bit of working with them finally got them to seat properly. You may want to try adding a little force to them and the floorplate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wolff Springs

I have had no Wolff springs for the HK's but use them in virtually all my competition guns (1911s, S&W 952, S&W 945, etc.) and they are flawless.
I have known Walter Wolff since my childhood (our dad's were very close friends) and his reputation is impeccable. If it doesn't work, he will fix it.
A remarkable guy with a history of firearms expertise from his father's armory days during WWII.
When I started shooting competitively some 35 years ago, Wally explained the following....
1. Use a Wolff Pack...a series of springs (for that gun) of different weights.
2. Start with a production spring, use the ammo you intend to use in competition, and change out to lighter and lighter springs until the gun starts to function properly (lighter load). Note that weight as the heaviest weight.
3. In one(1) lb.or 1/2lb. increments, change to lighter springs until the ejected brass starts falling in the same spot....all the while, the gun still functions reliably.
Viola...the perfect spring for the load and the gun.....
My S&W 945, uses a 16 lb std. spring, but with my 200 gr. wadcutters, I use a Wolff 9.5lb. spring.....never, and I say NEVER, has the gun malfunctioned in competition.
Terry

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I have had no Wolff springs for the HK's but use them in virtually all my competition guns (1911s, S&W 952, S&W 945, etc.) and they are flawless.
I have known Walter Wolff since my childhood (our dad's were very close friends) and his reputation is impeccable. If it doesn't work, he will fix it.
A remarkable guy with a history of firearms expertise from his father's armory days during WWII.
When I started shooting competitively some 35 years ago, Wally explained the following....
1. Use a Wolff Pack...a series of springs (for that gun) of different weights.
2. Start with a production spring, use the ammo you intend to use in competition, and change out to lighter and lighter springs until the gun starts to function properly (lighter load). Note that weight as the heaviest weight.
3. In one(1) lb.or 1/2lb. increments, change to lighter springs until the ejected brass starts falling in the same spot....all the while, the gun still functions reliably.
Viola...the perfect spring for the load and the gun.....
My S&W 945, uses a 16 lb std. spring, but with my 200 gr. wadcutters, I use a Wolff 9.5lb. spring.....never, and I say NEVER, has the gun malfunctioned in competition.
Terry
Interesting stuff Terry! Thanks!

*NOTE* Terry is talking about recoil springs here, NOT mag-springs like the other posts :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts