HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the opportunity next week to do some pretty extensive shooting with a friend who is former SF and some of his friends. I have had a good amount of firearms experience. Pistols and assualt rifles mostly (went to a military school and worked for a police department.) But at this particular event I will have the chance to shoot an MP5/10. Needless to say I am excited. I have never shot an MP5 before and have a few questions:

What should my sight picture be like? Similar to an M16?

With the 10mm cartridge should I expect recoil to be less than an assualt rifle?

Regarding the HK slap. I dont want to look like a fool trying to do it in front of everyone. Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Recoil should be very little, the gun shoots like a dream and as far as the HK slap nothing to it, just make sure to give it a strong pop from the heel of your hand and it will slam forward. MP5's have a sighting drum on the rear which you can adjust to make the hole smaller for more accurate shooting. Depending if they have the ambi safety or not(which may take getting used to)that and changing the mags quickly will be the difficult parts and to be honest not difficult at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Stand with your shoulders square to the target.

Bend your knees, stick your butt out, chin up, lean forward, pull your elbows in toward your ribs..... A tooty ta, a tooty ta, A tooty ta ta.

Sorry, couldn't resist that last part...I have three little kids...lol.

Seriously, though, do the things I just said, minus the Tooty Ta part, and you'll get them all in CoM.

You'll feel funny...you'll feel goofy in fact, but believe me, it doesn't look goofy at all, and when you put all the lead in the golden triangle, your friend will be impressed.

Sights are front pin, rear drum, keep your target on the top of the pin as seen through the hole in the drum.

The bolt does not hold open on last shot.

HAVE FUN.....the MP5 is an absolute dream to shoot.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Everything else written above is good information. I'll add just one thing about the hk slap you asked about - when the cocking tube handle is locked back, the motion to release it is what the slap is all about. Don't think about the handle needing to go forward. It does not need any help going forward, it only needs to be moved out of the notch that holds it back, and then the recoil spring does the rest of the work.

All you need to do is to smack it straight down towards the ground with the heel of your hand and it will fly forward on its own.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from my trip. What a fantastic weapon. Even never firing an MP5 before I was able to put all the rounds in a very tight group center mass. Very intuitive to point and shoot. The 10mm version is fantastic and its too bad they don't make it any more. Its certainly more powerful but from what everyone said it handles almost exactly the same. 2 round burst function was also great. We did have a problem after a little while with some jamming. Looked like fowling in the chamber or a bad magazine wasn't feeding the first round correctly. Of course we had put almost 300 rounds through it in the span of ten minutes. (A good friend of mine is former SF and went through 8 mags in rapid succession on burst before I had the chance to shoot it.)

I certainly hope that it won't be my last chance to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Just got back from my trip. What a fantastic weapon. Even never firing an MP5 before I was able to put all the rounds in a very tight group center mass. Very intuitive to point and shoot. The 10mm version is fantastic and its too bad they don't make it any more. Its certainly more powerful but from what everyone said it handles almost exactly the same. 2 round burst function was also great. We did have a problem after a little while with some jamming. Looked like fowling in the chamber or a bad magazine wasn't feeding the first round correctly. Of course we had put almost 300 rounds through it in the span of ten minutes. (A good friend of mine is former SF and went through 8 mags in rapid succession on burst before I had the chance to shoot it.)

I certainly hope that it won't be my last chance to shoot it.
Yeah, the burst function seems like a nice feature, but once you get over the CDI (chicks dig it) factor and get a little more training and some practice, you won't ever use the burst mode again. You can still run 2 or 3 round bursts, but using the finger mechanism, not a trigger mechanism.

Oh yeah, and one anecdotal story about the MP5/10 - at HKPro's MP5 operators course, Ghilliebear was using one. At least I think it was 10mm, it may have been a MP5/40. Anyways, we were shooting at some steel targets. His was the only one that could knock the targets completely over, so there is definitely a difference in power.

Glad you had fun though. You gotta' get one for yourself now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the one I used had the 0-1-2 trigger group on it. So burst was as far as the fun went. One for myself would be nice (of course now that I see I might be able to get a 416 that might change)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doesn't the "slap" put wear on the notch and the charging handle? The MP5 I had in Iraq must have been slapped a lot, because it was worn more than a little.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Yeah the one I used had the 0-1-2 trigger group on it. So burst was as far as the fun went. One for myself would be nice (of course now that I see I might be able to get a 416 that might change)
Oh. Well that's too bad. I never did really see the point of that pack, and especially not if one has a registered sear. But that doesn't matter, just shooting the MP5 is fun, the fun settnng just takes it to another level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts