HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the great state of Maryland which want their SBRs greater than 29 inches. I have learned the hard way that the ATF enforces this rule and had a Form 1 rejected when I previously tried to SBR my SP5. I have always planned on acquiring a suppressor for the SP5 but have learned that if I convert the SP5 to a MP5SD, the suppressor is considered part of the OAL of the weapon putting it at 31 inches. This means I can use an A2/A3 stock instead of a AR15 style stock to obtained the required OAL and while maintain a traditional appearance (as opposed to a Frankenstein one).

I am looking at purchasing this front end kit from HK parts:

My question is how difficult is it to install this myself? It seems straight forward to tear down the weapon and switch out the part but I have a feeling there are some "unforeseen" obstacles that will make this difficult which is why people will send theirs to a specialty shop.

As for suppressor, I like the TPM SD ( TPM SD (12") MP5SD Suppressor | tpmfirearms ) but from what I gather, this one from Dakota Tactical ( https://www.dakotatactical.com/product/sd-988010-2-us-bt-mp5sd-suppressor-9mm/ ) is the actual suppressor used in the MP5SD. Is this correct? If I am going to get one, I would prefer the actual one in this scenario.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My question is how difficult is it to install this myself? It seems straight forward to tear down the weapon and switch out the part but I have a feeling there are some "unforeseen" obstacles that will make this difficult which is why people will send theirs to a specialty shop.
To do it properly, you need some special tools, a jig and the ability to tig weld.

As for suppressor, I like the TPM SD ( TPM SD (12") MP5SD Suppressor | tpmfirearms ) but from what I gather, this one from Dakota Tactical ( SD-988010-2-US | B&T MP5SD Suppressor, 9mm – Dakota Tactical ) is the actual suppressor used in the MP5SD. Is this correct? If I am going to get one, I would prefer the actual one in this scenario.
it would be news to me if a DT branded silencer was the OEM supplier for HK GMBH MP5SD silencer. My factory HK SD silencer says HK Germany, and I also know the KAC was also an option in the US via the HK US price list.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would just build it and have 2 guns... wouldn’t put a non factory front end on a factory gun 🤷🏻‍♂️
This, if you are going to build off a German receiverer find a demilled factory front end. FWIW I would (and did) use an HK94 instead of an SP5. For such an expensive build the SP5 has too many compromises that the HK94 does not (Carrier block, 922r, etc.).

As for the silencer, it gets repeated a lot that the B&T silencer is OEM for H&K MP5SD, just like their barrels. This is not true. H&K makes the SD can in Germany, and has also used KAC cans. There was a short lived collaboration where B&T USA was allowed to laser engrave the H&K logo on their silencers, but this ended abruptly, allegedly because H&K wasn't happy with the suggestion that B&T was making barrels and other components to H&K spec and for H&K weapons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This, if you are going to build off a German receiver find a de-milled factory front end. FWIW I would (and did) use an HK94 instead of an SP5. For such an expensive build the SP5 has too many compromises that the HK94 does not (Carrier block, 922r, etc.).
If this is going to permanently change the configuration of the SP5 (such as TIG welding), than I'm going to have to give up on this project and go back to the Frankenstein approach. Thank you for this insight.

As for the silencer, it gets repeated a lot that the B&T silencer is OEM for H&K MP5SD, just like their barrels. This is not true. H&K makes the SD can in Germany, and has also used KAC cans. There was a short lived collaboration where B&T USA was allowed to laser engrave the H&K logo on their silencers, but this ended abruptly, allegedly because H&K wasn't happy with the suggestion that B&T was making barrels and other components to H&K spec and for H&K weapons.
Thank you for clearing this up. I have noticed that there is a lot of contradicting information on this point including from Dakota Tactical's description of this product stating "SD-988010-2-US is identical to the MP5SD suppressors that B&T AB provides to HK Germany for the HK MP5SD".

Will consider for the Dead Air Wolfman for my suppressor needs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes it will permanently change the configuration of your SP5. We're talking new barrel, parts change, welding, paint, etc

If all you're wanting is suppressed then run your Wolfman and just be done. Of course it won't be as quiet as the SD but less costly by far...not to mention can switch back with a twist of the wrist. I'd have an SD myself if it wasn't for the smokey hell last time I fired one :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts