HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'd appreciate your comments and advice, please:

I bought two surplus 5-round steel magazines for my PTR-91. Images at the bottom of this post.
They arrived coated in what I assume (yes, I'm a rookie) is Cosmoline.
I want to disassemble the magazines so I can thoroughly clean and refinish them.

How do I correctly disassemble and reassemble these, please? It's not obvious to me how to dislodge the floorplate or in which direction it's supposed to move, and I don't want to leave a bend in anything.

After disassembly, I plan to boil the grease off the parts and scrub off whatever didn't boil away.

After degreasing--what? Bead blast? Some sort of bluing or coating? Spray a coat of primer? (My intended use for these is hunting.)

Springs for 5-round magazines: My guess is that if I'm able to find these at all, they'll be for the PSG1 and priced accordingly. Might it work to buy 20-round magazines and cannibalize springs from those?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here they are:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have never seen one of those magazines. Now I must buy one and disassemble it. The floorplate looks nothing like my 20 rnd magazine.

I would suggest you contact HKParts | Heckler & Koch Genuine Parts - HKPARTS.NET and see what they have to say.

Where did you happen to pick those up at?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi S.O.G.:

If you do, please document and share?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought these via Numrich Gun Parts Corporation. The link below seems for a similar item, though I don't yet know whether my magazines are "green parkerized" under the grease, or for that matter whether they are in fact in "excellent condition":

Magazine, 5 Round

·
Registered
8 Posts
It appears that the rear tab is meant to move just enough to allow the base plate to slip out the back. I’d try prying with a small pick or screwdriver to see if you can’t get the catch released. Don’t overdo the prying as it typically doesn’t take much. Get after it and I bet they slip right out.

As for cleaning and refinishing, I’d soak the parts in mineral spirits/acetone/paint thinner/gasoline/whatever for a few days to loosen all of that cosmo. It might take some brushing to get the stubborn stuff to move but they should clean up nice. If refinishing was mandatory I’d then blast them and shoot them with Duracoat, Alumahide, or MolyResin. I prefer the MolyResin as I don’t have the patience to leave parts for weeks waiting for a full cure.

Good luck! Let us know how they turn out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, guys.

S.O.G., did you have any luck disassembling this type?

I did contact HKPARTS.NET, and Mr. Webber kindly replied immediately, but he was unable to offer any insight as to how to shift the floor plate.

I tried inserting a flat-blade screwdriver just ahead of the front of the floor plate and applying some pressure, but nothing much happened other than to gouge up slightly that little notch visible in the 3rd picture.
At this rate, I don't know what my prospects are for actually getting these disassembled intact.

Just to feel like I was accomplishing something I've gone ahead and started degreasing. I put them in a pot of boiling water for over 30 minutes, scrubbing off the worst with a toothbrush. I then drained them in the sun where they dried almost immediately and then submerged them in mineral spirits. I'm sluicing them around periodically.

At this point I'm wondering if I should called it good (or bad), bead-blast them, and put a coating on them, or should I admit defeat and take them to a gunsmith at least for disassembly.

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Northstar: To disassemble them for cleaning...the little tab in the middle of the rear of the mag: in your pictures 4 & 5, like Ezshooter is trying to explain. Lift up this tab with a small screw driver and push the floor plate out to the rear. You won't have to move it but an eight inch or so and the tab will be free and you can push or pull the plate off.
Your mags look to be like new just been sitting for a long time in the cosmoline or packing grease. Get them apart, a parts washer, brush a little elbow grease and you should be good to go.
Here at the shop we would clean and reparkerize them, make 'em look like new.
I hope this helps.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts