HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure where to post this, so I'm putting it here. Mod's, please let me know if it's the wrong area.

I've got a Tactical, and a stainless 40c that I'm planning on selling, either here in the classifieds section or via an auction site. Still trying to figure out what I need to get for each one.

My question is this: Once it sells, assuming it's not someone local, I've got to send it to their FFL. Can I ship it to their FFL myself, or do I have to ship it via my FFL dealer? I've heard conflicting reports on this, and I'd like to make sure I'm not running afoul of any laws in the process.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some FFL's will NOT accept out of state firearms from a private citizen, others will. Just state upfront that they need to provide an FFL that will accept your pistol from a non-FFL and that it is shipped to an area where it is legal.

Unless the laws have changed, it is legal for an FFL to accept a pistol from an out of state person. Make sure it is shipped legally via a carrier other then the USPS. FFL to FFL transfers can use the post office which is cheaper then FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.

·
2,832 Posts
you can ship to a FFL yourself, but per Fed Ex it must be shipped overnight(but not AM, figure $50)

Now some FFL's have their own policies, some may not take a gun from a non FFL(even though its legal) so make sure the buyer knows its not shipping from a FFL

You when shipping need to send your driver license, its not required but it makes the FFL feel warm and fuzzy and they can enter something in their books.

or you can ship FFL to FFL, which may save on shipping costs as FFL's can ship to FFL USPS Priority, but the FFL may charge...so it might be a wash..and frankly I hate having guns sent USPS.

really quite easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, I am also considering selling an HK on the forum.

Would my local gun shop be considered my best bet to send something via an FFL? I don't really know where else to find one.

Would they charge me twice to send the pistol in two different packages (the FFL)? I have heard many bad stories of firearms being stolen in transit so I was hoping to break it into two portions to limit the chances of that happening. Is that a totally stupid idea?

Thanks for the help, I've never sold a firearm before, but now that I have my P30 I am thinking of relieving myself of one of my other HK pistols.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts