HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When doing mag drills or whatever - once you guys slam the new mag in, do you use your strong hand thumb, or your support hand thumb to release the slide?

(on a full size USP .45)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most of the time I'll use my weak hand thumb on my P2KSK, but sometimes I'll use my strong hand thumb. On my USPc I always use my weak hand thumb.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting - I find it to be one of the flaws of the HK controls -it's nice to be able to quickly drop the slide like I can on a sig or glock using my strong thumb - quicker.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm using the new grip that is popular with targte shooters now, with my strong hand riding high anyway, and my hands are huge so it's an easy reach. Strong hand thumb.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Interesting - I find it to be one of the flaws of the HK controls -it's nice to be able to quickly drop the slide like I can on a sig or glock using my strong thumb - quicker.
Not a flaw. Just look at how the S&W M&P was designed. They basically took all the complaints people had with the Glock and fixed them. One of those was moving the slide release far enough forward and recessed so you wouldn't end up riding on it while you are shooting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Usually, I just slam the mag in and my slide closes on a fresh round, I don't have to touch the slide release.

But If I do, I use the strong hand thumb.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i think glocks and sigs are designed to be racked rather than released...

i think hk calls theirs a "slide release" while sig/glock calls theirs a "slide stop"

but regardless i like the rack method best...but my uspc goes into battery when a full mag is inserted :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Usually, I just slam the mag in and my slide closes on a fresh round, I don't have to touch the slide release.

But If I do, I use the strong hand thumb.
I've tried it a few times, but every once in a while I actually get a stovepipe while doing that, seems like the force required for me to slam the mag in is enough to "eject" rounds out of the mag.

With that said I use my weak hand thumb while at the range due to the "keep pointed at target at all times" rule. Any other time I usually have my gun oriented parallel to my chest because I use my middle finger and "twist" the gun in my hand to release a mag. So I can reach the slide release with my dominant thumb.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I practice using both the hand over the top to rack the slide and my strong hand thumb.

And I have no problem reaching the slide catch/release on either my fullsize or compact USP with my shooting hand thumb.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For the slamming it home method; some guns take more of a slam than others. My beretta 90two is probably the easiest to slam home of the guns that I have; then the Baby Eagle, then the HK elite, (it won't work on my HiPower).

I haven't yet experienced a stove pipe while slamming it home, but I can see how it would happen; the bullet is still moving up while the slide is pushing it forward.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use my index finger (lefty), but I am training myself to start overhanding it instead.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well on a USP I have to use my weak hand thumb unless I want to rotate the gun in my hand which I don't. With the safety/decock lever it is in the way for me to quickly and comfortably use the slide release with my strong hand. I can reach it but not very easily. On a Glock I can hit it with my strong hand thumb no problem. If I had a USP with a LEM then it would be no problem. When the safety is on I can reach it and use it very easily. I have kicked around converting a gun to a match LEM hybrid to see what its like.

Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts