HKPRO Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently see pictures of guns on the internet in which their serial numbers are colored over. Why do people do this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I frequently see pictures of guns on the internet in which their serial numbers are colored over. Why do people do this?

Thanks in advance.
'Cause they're stolen and they don't want to get busted.

Actually it may be so that someone else can't report theirs as being stolen. Besides that, I can't really think of why it would matter.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't really have a good answer for this one either, but I think some feel its private (and don't want others to know) like your social security number or driver's license. That's what I've always thought...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Some are affraid for others to have the serial numbers for various reasons. Everything from someone reporting it stolen to the big brother thing.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Because the less information out there on you the better. You never know who's watching or listening, as the case may be.

G

·
Two years ago,I sold an M1 carbine on Gunbroker,showing the ser#in a picture. A guy from Texas claimed that it had been stolen from his house six months previously.Unlikely,because my father had bought it from the DCM(now CMP) in the 1960's.It kind of sets you up for someone to scam you like that.
REISINGSTAR

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,043 Posts
This really is not HK related.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.