HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to FINALLY buy a HK USP .45, after a long wait for the money. This would be my first HK handgun, and I do not want to make a mistake. So what are the thing that I must know before agreeing to buy. I know there are different varients, but I do not know what they really mean. Also, are there manufacturing years more, or less desirable? I think I can buy the gun for $625.00, I think this is a good price, but I am not sure of that either. Any help would be great, Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ask which variant and date code. The variant definitions are on this site somewhere, or Google it and that will take you there. The big question is which variant do you like. I only buy what I like unless it is stupid cheap. A USP in 45 is a must have!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE BUYING HK USP .45?

I FINALLY HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY MY FIRST HK HANDGUN, AND DO NOT WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE. IT IS A HK USP .45, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT QUESTIONS ARE A MUST KNOW, BEFORE BUYING, SUCH AS WHAT VARIENT, OR ANY YEARS OF PRODUCTION TO AVOID. I KNOW IT IS A FULL SIZE, WHICH I WANT, IT HAS ALMOST KNOW WEAR, AND SAID TO HAVE ONLY FIRED 50 RDS. PRICE IS $625.00. WHAT SHOULD I DEFINATELY KNOW, OR AVOID, BEFORE BUYING. LIKE I SAID, I HAVE HK'S, BUT NEVER A PISTOL, SO I DON'T KNOW NEARLY ENOUGH TO MAKE SURE I DO NOT MAKE A MISTAKE. THANKS.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
First, TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK; it's hard enough to read through that grammatical nightmare as it is.

Production years seem to run pretty steady considering how relatively new these guns are.

If you have experience running other pistols you can set your variant to a similar manual of arms to mirror your existing training (if any)
If you have run Glocks, consider the LEM
If you run 1911's, the Variant 9 (no decocker) is a good option

·
Registered
21 Posts
USP Variants

Hope this helps
Good Luck on your purchase, you won't regret it.

Make room for more!

Variant 1:
 Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decoking lever) on left side of frame.

Variant 2: 
Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decocking lever) on right side of frame.

Variant 3: 
Double action/single action without "SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on left side of frame.

Variant 4: 
Double action/single action without ”SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on right side of frame.

Variant 5: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on left side of frame.

Variant 6: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on right side of frame.

Variant 7: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)

Variant 8: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)
SPECIAL VARIANT FOR GOVERNMENT AGENCY

Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.

Variant 10: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on right side of frame.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
The USP is rock solit. You only want to see that it is not one of the very first ones with an all metal hammer.
The Maine SP is changing them now out for HK45's and some of the USP's are 14 years on duty!
A few years back they changed them to the LEM, otherwise they where just cleaned and check by an armorer twice a year.
I have seen a few of them and I would not worry carrying one!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for you response, and I will put more effort into my proper grahmer from hear on out! As to your response, I now run Sig Sauers, Beretta's mostly, both with safety and decockers. I have Glocks, and do not like them because of the lack of safety features. My 1911's are what they are. So I guess I am most comfortable with the Sig and Beretta platform, with decockers, and safety's. So I would want a variant w/ these features preferably. Ergonomics are inportant to me, especially since this will be my primary home defense hand gun, possibly operating in total darkness. What variant would be most suitable? I hope this is more understandable to you, as far as English and grahmer go. Thanks. Also, one more question, is $625.00 a good price for a USP .45 in very good shape, with box,manual, 2-10 rd. mags(hk), and 1-12 rd. HK mag. No night sights, holster, or other extras.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am used to runninig mostly Sigs, and Beretta's, with decockers/safety. I also have 1911's both .45 and 10mm Colts. I own Glock's, and am uncomfortable with the features of the Sig and Beretta, in terms of safety. I am most comfortable with the Sig, Beretta platform though. Ergonomics are important to me, especially since this will be my primary home defense weapon, possibly being used in total darkness, w/ adrenaline surge. So what variant would best suit me.Also, is $625.00 a good price for a USP .45, in very good shape, with box and manual, 2-10 rd mags, and 1-12 rd mag, all HK. It does NOT have night sights, which I will have to add, as they are a must for me. In closing I will put every effort into more proper grammer, I hope this is more suitable. Thanks. Sorry for my prior" grammatical nightmare". I did not realize I was being judged on grammer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The comment about which variant you "like" is more applicable to those who have carried and shot the USP for a while. But these pistols are rarely in other than Variant 1 (see above) anyway. And you can change variants at your kitchen table with the right parts and less than an hour's time. Changing from V1 to V3 or back takes 5 minutes and a $10 part. Other changes take only a little longer.

The USP has been product-improved throughout it's manufacturing life and later models have a better firing pin and firing pin block system. There are also changes in the Catch, the part that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin when decocked or dropped. Nothing wrong with the old system, but the new is better. New parts can be easily fitted.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
228 Posts
Handle it, a lot, and pay attention to how it feels. If it fits you hands great, but many find the USP 45 has the ergonomics of a 2x4. Also consider the cost of 45ACP ammo.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . I will put every effort into more proper grammer, I hope this is more suitable. Thanks. Sorry for my prior" grammatical nightmare". I did not realize I was being judged on grammer. Thanks again.
Pay no attention to pointblank4445's rudeness. . . he can't help himself. Nobody else is judging you.

On the side of the USP slide, there is a two-letter datecode:

A=0
B=1
C=2
D=3
E=4
F=5
G=6
H=7
I=8
*notice there is no "J"
K=9

The two letters correspond to the last two digits of the year of manufacture. So, for example. . . KI would mean 1998; AF would mean 2005; BA would mean 2010, etc., etc.

As others have pointed out, there have been small changes along the way. However, none of the changes were due to a "defect" as such, just little tweaks. There has never been a recall or anything like that. In fact, HK does not even promote the replacement of older-style parts for newer style parts. There are a thread or two which list many of these small changes on this forum if you do a good search. Basically, there are no "lemons" in the bunch, and no undesirable years. They are all excellent, and they are all backed by HK's no-compromise warranty. As for variants. . . by far, the most common variant you will see are V1s. . . and as Chuck pointed out, they are modular, and easily changed at a nominal cost.

$625 is a fair price for a USP 45 with no wear on it and only 50 rounds down the tube. There are police trade-ins available in several places for about $500, but they typically show a decent amount of carry-wear. Also, you should know that the 12-round mags are two to three times the cost of the 10-round mags (about $50 and up for new 12-round genuine HK USP 45 mags). There are also Promags out there for HK pistols. . . avoid them, and don't be fooled into buying them by unscrupulous sellers who gladly pass them off as genuine HK mags. Promags for the HK USP are absolute junk, and a TOTAL waste of money! . . you have been duly warned about them.

So, rest easy and buy your HK USP 45 with confidence if it looks new and seems to operate normally. Oh, and one more thing. . . welcome to HKPro.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Maybe you should look into getting some therapy.
Listen, there needs to be grammar police in this world. Keeps us on an even keel. There are probably 70% of american's, that don't use proper English in one form or another, let alone grammar. I find myself editing reports my duty section completed, and I have to pull them in to give them English lessons. This is also coming from someone that makes the mistakes myself, but I learn to correct them.

As far as the USP 45 goes, anything after 2005 in V1 will change your life, I love my USP45, I have had it for years and she keeps kicking.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts