HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what would be the best HK pistol for a "race gun"? I believe Bruce Gray made race guns out of HKs, but which ones?

What are the top 2 or 3 race guns out there? What is everybody using? Can a race gun be bought as a complete weapon NIB, or must it be built up from a regular model?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've heard Bruce Gray has an awesome trigger job for USP's for a competition gun. It would not be safe for carry because it disables the DA shot as well as the firing pin block. I think the closest to an HK race gun you can get is a USP Elite 9mm with the Bruce Gray competition trigger.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've heard Bruce Gray has an awesome trigger job for USP's for a competition gun. It would not be safe for carry because it disables the DA shot as well as the firing pin block. I think the closest to an HK race gun you can get is a USP Elite 9mm with the Bruce Gray competition trigger.
I agree. Bruce does great work. He also did a long slide M13 that was a true work of art. Generally speaking, HKs aren't an optimum platform to build into a "race gun". The pros and competitors normally favor STI, SVI and similar Hi-Cap 1911 platforms in the competitive circuits. A person can get an out of the box true blue "race gun" from both STI and SVI. You order it and it will arrive ready to go. Also consider Brazos Custom, they handle STIs and can fine tune them to the customer's specs. The SiG X5 is also a competitor, but it doesn't get much support in the US because SiG Sauer USA tends to drag their heels regarding accessories and custom work.

I'm giving some serious thought to sending my HK45 off to Bruce for a few enhancements. Not so much to make it a competitors gun, but just to get his great action work and maybe a few cosmetic refinements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you want a good race gun. Then check out the CZ Tactical Sports in 9 or 40.

I bought one in 9mm for USPSA (just for fun.. 9mm is a lot cheaper than 40 to shoot and practice with) I bought some thin aluminum grips and an aluminum magwell for mine. Its SA only.. bout a 2.5lb trigger and a full length dustcover. The 9mm mags hold 20rds and the 40 hold 16 I believe. You can get some base pads for it to raise the 40 to 20rds a mag. All in all I think I spent around 1500 bucks on the gun, holster, mag pouches, grips, magwell, extra mags, etc.

Out of the box, the CZ TS would be great race gun. It comes with 3 20rd mags, a plastic magwell, and decent wood grips. I paid around 930 or so for my pistol. You can check out www.ghostholster.com for the accessories.

Heres a few pics.

·
Registered
383 Posts
A Sig 226 X-Five L1 with the GGI (Bruce Gray) Lightning Package would be a 'race gun' that could be had without much effort.

It wouldn't be cheap of course, but neither is a custom 1911.

Oh, and if your specifically wanting an HK, as Faris mentioned, an Elite with a trigger job would be the way to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Race Gun

Be careful with a fairly generic term like "race gun."

To me...and some folks who responded to you....a Race Gun is a gun that has a red-dot scope, a compensator, and is usually chambered for .38 super/supercomp. Will have one 29 rd mag and several 23 roundrers.
These cost upwards of $2500. This is referred to as Open division.

To some other people a "race gun" is something else entirely.

An HK would NOT be a good choice for Open division. It's great for other divisions.

FY42385

·
Registered
13 Posts
For sure when I think 'race gun' its a fully tuned, optic mounted, comped machine with a hair trigger.
I've seem a million of them based on 1911. I have seen a 'bunch' (and use one myself) based on glock.
I have tried to make one based on a sig X-5 but as was stated above until Sig USA gives us some help its not really practical.
I have never seen an HK one and I have never seen the parts you would need.
Custom of course you can do anything, but why...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think there is a certain definition for the word race gun. To some people its a true Open gun to others its either Open or Limited. The sport of USPSA is basically all "racing" as its about speed rather than accuracy. In that sense.. any competitor's gun is considered a "race" gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For sure when I think 'race gun' its a fully tuned, optic mounted, comped machine with a hair trigger.
I've seem a million of them based on 1911. I have seen a 'bunch' (and use one myself) based on glock.
I have tried to make one based on a sig X-5 but as was stated above until Sig USA gives us some help its not really practical.
I have never seen an HK one and I have never seen the parts you would need.
Custom of course you can do anything, but why...
Why not? People put a Ford 302 in a Mazda Miata.. Why? Who knows lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not? People put a Ford 302 in a Mazda Miata.. Why? Who knows lol.
Gas mileage of course.

I think it would be awesome to build an Open gun out of a HK. Maybe take an elite, have it comp'ed and so on. Probably be close to a $4,000 gun when I got done with it.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I think it would be awesome to build an Open gun out of a HK. Maybe take an elite, have it comp'ed and so on. Probably be close to a $4,000 gun when I got done with it.
This is my plan. Best "donor" in my opinion should be USP Match with 9x19 loaded to major (lots of people in Europe load 9x19 for major as .38SA brass is hard to find and expensive to buy). However for know I plan to use Expert .40 and port slide and barrel (in V8 or V12 pattern as seen on Tanfoglio) and maybe small comp added. I expect to have magazine extension and red dot mount for first test before end of December. And I expect cost to be far below $4K for whole project.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One of the guys I shoot USPSA with has recently started shooting a HK elite in .40 for limited 10 division. It has a DAO trigger that is feels pretty good for what it is. I shoot on the SVI team and have become use to the 2.5 lb triggers in my open and limited guns. The biggest thing holding the HK platform back in Limited would be the lack of basepads available for the mags. Most competitors use a SVI or STI pistol with Dawson or Gramms basepads that give us +1 or +2 capacity. I can start with 21 rounds in my gun for limited division, where the HK's start with 15 or 16 from what I can remember. The higher round count comes in play on the 23-32 rounds courses. Less reloading means faster stage times, especially when a stage has alot of steel like a texas star.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is my plan. Best "donor" in my opinion should be USP Match with 9x19 loaded to major (lots of people in Europe load 9x19 for major as .38SA brass is hard to find and expensive to buy). However for know I plan to use Expert .40 and port slide and barrel (in V8 or V12 pattern as seen on Tanfoglio) and maybe small comp added. I expect to have magazine extension and red dot mount for first test before end of December. And I expect cost to be far below $4K for whole project.

FWIW...and I'm no smith...I'm not sure the USP frame would take the abuse of 9mm major after a season of 5-10k rounds (Low count for serious competitor). I could be wrong though.

The elite 40 would be very sweet indeed...like someone mentioned capacity may be an issue.

I like the idea of using a non-s_I or other "typical" race brand. I'm using a sig x5 in limited (17-20 rds 9mm minor)but I'm an unclassified (yet) beginner. But I have fun shooting a really sweet real world gun in competition.

But...if anyone has a really nice STI 40 they want to donate...

my $0.02

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't wait to hear your report!! (aaaand to see how much $$ it came out to) :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
At one time I owned a true race gun, and wish I still had it:( STI parts assembled and fitted at Colt Custom Shop as per a custom order made by an unknown person. I have an email from the owner of STI about this(wouldn't tell me who ordered it). It was a 38super Wide Body with 3 18round mags and the kicker serial #: gunracer007

Sold it on Gunbroker due to being broke at the time. I have shot many guns but the trigger on this racegun could not have been tuned any better! Anyways, this was a nice little trip down memory lane.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you want a good race gun. Then check out the CZ Tactical Sports in 9 or 40.

I bought one in 9mm for USPSA (just for fun.. 9mm is a lot cheaper than 40 to shoot and practice with) I bought some thin aluminum grips and an aluminum magwell for mine. Its SA only.. bout a 2.5lb trigger and a full length dustcover. The 9mm mags hold 20rds and the 40 hold 16 I believe. You can get some base pads for it to raise the 40 to 20rds a mag. All in all I think I spent around 1500 bucks on the gun, holster, mag pouches, grips, magwell, extra mags, etc.

Out of the box, the CZ TS would be great race gun. It comes with 3 20rd mags, a plastic magwell, and decent wood grips. I paid around 930 or so for my pistol. You can check out www.ghostholster.com for the accessories.

Heres a few pics.

That CZ is beautiful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok, so I'm an idiot, but what is the difference between 9mm major and minor?
Major would be the 38 Super, which I believe is still the lowest Major class ammunition you can use.

Minor is 9mm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts