HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a newbie but would like a consensus of what you carry in your range bag. Been using a gym bag for a while but Santa got me a nice handgun sized range bag. What do you carry in yours? My VP9 is always in my IWB holster, so I would probably just carry spare mags, ammo, hearing protection/earmuffs, shooting glasses, pen/paper. Maybe a roll of masking tape (but the private indoor range I shoot at always has a couple of tape dispensers available). Don't have a fancy AR knife so maybe throw in my old Swiss Army Knife. Might purchase a small compact cleaning kit to include.
Anything else, any ideas or thoughts or anything you found that is handy to include?
Thanks!

·
Banned
354 Posts
I've found it much easier to use a Maxpedition backpack. Lots of pockets to keep things sorted. And easy to carry....as a backpack. I carry my ammo in a 30 cal can. I can stash everything I need for a handgun range session in the backpack, and then have plenty of ammo as well. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rolling tool box from Home Depot with my range gear thrown in including magazines. Water proof, sturdy, lockable, paper targets rolled up fits inside and makes for a nice seat.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I use this.

British Army Operational Travel Bag - Large Army Deployment Bag - 8465-99-421-5710 - Keepshooting®

It has some british army soldier's name emblazoned on it, and I celebrate it.

Very well built, and it's a plain black bag that does not advertise its contents as being gun related in any way.

It's longer than it appears. MP5's fit in it easily, as does a long gun with a collapsible or folding stock (without the can).

It's kind of cool in that the boys at Hereford stuck a lot of MP5's in bags just like this on the way to "goan geet the joob doone. "

http://i.imgur.com/1NXdFYO.jpg

I doubt you'll do better for forty bucks anywhere.

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
Range bags, like packs, pickup beds, garages, homes, etc...tend to fill up so be careful with size unless you want it to weight 100lbs. Mission driven, of course, so if you're just going to an indoor range with one weapon, one caliber you're not going to need a whole lot. Like you said: eyes, ears, multitool, mags, a marker, tape. I have a staple gun and staples and a few small targets in case I ever forget to grab a box of targets and there's no steel wherever I'm shooting. Sight adjustment tools and batteries for various optics since I bring my little bag when shooting carbines, too, a small cleaning kit and some T-shirt rags. Lube of course. Some "Lead Off" wipes and a travel soap. Mag loaders! My class notebook from training sessions and a pen and the shot timer round it out for my pistol bag. I use 30cal ammo cans and just grab one of whatever calibers I'm bringing that day.

My long gun bag has quite a bit more in it. Links of chain and a tool for repairing hanging steel, my prone tripod for my spotting scope, boxes of ammo for bolt guns since round counts are lower and don't necessitate bringing an ammo can. Bipods. Mags: AICS, Pmag LR, Pmag 68.

As you shoot you will identify things that it would be nice to have along, especially as you branch out and shoot in a broader variety of environments.

Whiskey, tumblers, spare ammo, cigars, cigar cutter and lighter.
Yes, and this.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Expanding on my comments.

I carry three four with me for a handgun range session:

30 Cal ammo can with plenty of ammo in the caliber I'm shooting, and a LuLa loader. I usually have plenty of room to drop four spare empty mags in there as well.

Old attache case holds all my targets, staple gun, spare staples, etc.

Maxpedition backpack in which I have spare batteries for ear pro and weapon lights; first aid blow out kit; quick cleaning kit and lube, spare magazines, two handguns (one is none), duct tape, toilet paper (assume nothing), cigars and cigar lighter.

I like to use a sturdy plastic hard case for my very expensive ear and eye pro rather than just toss them in a bag.

Works for me.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My range bag(s), I use for just that, heading to range for some recoil therapy....generally just pistols, as I can't afford HK rifles until kids graduate from college.

I have couple of sharpies, eyes/ears, a Maglula speed loader, a flashlight and ammo, lots of ammo.

I said range bags, as I had one that only held 2 pistols, but as my HK addiction kicked in, sometimes I'll bring 3 or 4 with me, so needed a bigger one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts