HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my usual indoor range yesterday and some things really didn't make any sense to me.

I brought along my USPs (Tac & CT) and used a wide variety of leftover FMJ ammo; WWB, Fiocci, Remington which were all 230gr. I also decided to fire off my +P 200-230gr ammo that I've had laying around. The +P stuff was Hornaday 230 & 200gr +P hollow point & Cor-Bon 230gr +P hollow point.

With the various ammo, I noticed the following:
WWB had the most 'kick' and was the least accurate
Fiocci was really dirty, lots of smoke, but was accurate
Remington was the cleanest and was as accurate as the Fiocci stuff.

Here's the real ammo mystery:
All, and I mean all, the +P ammo shot softer with both the CT and Tac. That doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone have any insight on why that may be?

Now the gun stuff:
Every time I've ever gone shooting, I rack the slide and shoot SA. Habit I guess. Just to see what happens, I went through a few magazines shooting DA - decocking after each shot. I did this with both guns and if I remember correctly, I was using Remington FMJs.

Normally, at 35', if I can get a 3" group I've had a good day. (I don't shoot from a bench and I don't take my time)

Well, shooting DA all I had on the silhouette was a large ragged hole and did this with both guns. That REALLY doesn't make sense to me. Are my guns talking to me and saying "Get an LEM trigger dummy!' or do you guys think I'm doing something wrong while shooting SA?

Since this is a long-ish post I'll re-cap:
+P ammo shoots softer than vanilla FMJs, why?
I shoot MUCH better in DA than SA w/V1 USPs, is it time to evaluate my grip or buy 2 LEM triggers?

Thanks to everyone reading and to those who can shed some light.

-Giancarlo

·
Registered
30 Posts
maybe the extra trigger pull time shooting DA makes you take your time more... or maybe you pulled the trigger with a different part of your finger because of the increased trigger weight/distance?
I know nothing ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Strange, I find WWB to be filthy. I notice this because I have a stainless USPc and the muzzle is usually coated in powder and the barrel has reminants before cleaning. Fiocchi and American Eagle are pretty clean for.

As for the +P's, have no idea why your getting a nice mushy shot out of them. They always pack a little bit more of a punch for me. What I do notice is when I shoot 100gr. Fiocchi vs. 115gr Fiocchi, there is a noticible power difference. Both are normal loads (non +P)

Not sure about the DA/SA. I'm still a getting aquainted with my USPs. I know I shoot pretty good in SA. Have to try more DA shooting to see if I have a significant difference.

·
Registered
651 Posts
better shooting in DA?, a couple thoughts
1) you may be putting too much finger on the trigger when in SA and that can cause you to pull the pistol ever so slightly
2) with the added tension and longer pull of DA you are probably not realizing that you are concentrating more in DA mode than in SA mode

·
Registered
27 Posts
With a true DAO like a revolver or a D series Beretta, I find I'm concentrating on the sights a lot more for some reason than I am with a single action trigger (or even LEM). Maybe it's purely psychological, but that's what it seems like.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
As for the +P question: You need to compare rounds of the same manufacturer and bullet weight. Why? +P means higher chamber pressures, approximately by 10% for every "+" (You´ll find +P+ > so that´s 20%). However, where´s the standard? SAAMI, CIP... all indicates "safe range" only, nobody guarantees what 100% is. So these added 10% compare always to the standard round of that single manufacturer. Fiocchi, for example, produces quite hot ammo in general, so any of their rounds would seem snappier than a lot of +Ps of other producers. Then, but I guess You´re familiar with this point, lower the bullet weight, snappier the ammo seems to be. Shoot a 124gr +P and then some 90gr non+P HPs - and You´ll say that 124s are soft.

·
Registered
562 Posts
A Powder burn rates are different with all brands, Slow, fast, clean etc etc.. Make sure 2 look at the grains usually lighter less recoil. Try resetting your trigger on S/A. This will maintain the sweet spot on your finger and accuracy follow up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/demystplusp_0306-7/
Here is a good article on +p ammo. It's really not loaded that much hotter.
Ditto that the particular powder that is used can make a difference, as some powder can burn a little different, resulting in a different feel. Slower burn, slower push for instance. that may be oversimplifying, but that's the general idea.
Ditto that grains of lead can make a difference too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts