HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally shoot mine...first round in the Bullring...first 9 in the Bull...next 16 in the Bull (albeit at around 15 feet but I am just function firing this)...this is better than I normally shoot...this pistol is NICE!...someone described the point characteristics of these P7 pistols as like pointing your finger...I have heard this before about other guns and have never agreed...it is so with this pistol...
Mine DID get quite warm (hot) after shooting 25 rounds...I have a high hold and am a Southpaw...my one finger rides right up underneath the trigger guard...hot mamma!
I shoot the others giving the PSP a rest (new GLOCK 21SF and a SiG Sauer P228 with all new springs and new Trijicon Night Sights)...

...back to my PSP...another 25 rounds...all in the Bull or 10 ring at 21 feet...WOW...absolutely NO recoil...I switch to Speer Gold Dot hollow point in 124Gr +P...a bit more snap...perhaps a bit of recoil but certainly NOTHING that isn't easily handled...
I do have to be aware of the squeeze cocker...there are a couple of times, with my big paw that I "wrap around too far" and don't give sufficient pressure to the plunger...no shoot...easily correctable once I practice more...the audible "click" is weird to me but again...no problems that practice and familiarity won't cure...

So I put more than 75 rounds through it...none go outside the 10 ring...there is no recoil to speak of...sweet handling, fast to action and to rest...the pistol heats up but in "combat" I doubt I would go through 25 rounds in such short order...so I don't see that as a real handicap...I see some tool marks around the trigger guard but this pistol appears to be very nicely done...WELL Worth the price of admission...My brother thanks me for one of the best experiences he has ever had shooting and I thank him for finally pushing me "over the edge" to getting one of these fine pistols.

If ANYONE is on the fence over this...get off of it and "get-chu-one!"
If you need or want a good looker go for the Grade "A" but I hear people reporting their Grade Bs look sweet too...
I know I am still in a state of Euphoria but...if this was the only gun I could have, I could be content...and I like my Glocks, my 1911s and my SiGs (heck, I like just about everything)

Bill

·
Registered
732 Posts
Why does it get so hot? I've shot hundreds of rounds through my CZ and unless I hold on to the slide, it doesn't seem to be any warmer than ambient.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gas retarded blow back...(IIRC)...perhaps they call it something different today...there is a price to pay for absolutely NO recoil.
Bill

·
Registered
227 Posts
GOTTA LOVE THE P7!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D
:320000: :320000: :320000: :320000: :320000: :320000: :320000: :320000:

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Why does it get so hot? I've shot hundreds of rounds through my CZ and unless I hold on to the slide, it doesn't seem to be any warmer than ambient.
Yep, all the P7s do that - they have a gas system that vents some of the gases into a tube under the barrel. The piston that runs in the tube is attached to the slide (the barrel is fixed to the receiver) and fights against the rearward motion of the slide until the bullet has left the barrel.

I can shoot about 6-8 mags through mine before it starts to get really hot.

This is a good news/bad news thing - the good news is that it gives you a reason not to buy a bunch of extra $70+ mags (mine's a P7M13) because you need to take the time to reload the 2 mags that come with it so it can cool down.

The bad news is that it makes you want to buy two of them - one to shoot while the other is cooling off.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
gas retarded blow back...(IIRC)...perhaps they call it something different today...there is a price to pay for absolutely NO recoil.
Bill
Delayed Blowback Operation. What you have is hot gas bearing against the piston in the cylinder just below and parallel to the barrel. The gas is fed down through a port specifically for the purpose of keeping the slide in-place and in-battery while the projectile is still traveling down the tube. After that, the pressure diminishes and the slide can move back, extract and eject the empty casing, then move forward to strip the next round and chamber it. That hot gas causes heat transfer to the receiver and is quickly transmitted to the user who runs long strings of fire. Look closely at the M8, M13 and M10 weapons and you'll find a small polymer heat shield to protect your trigger finger. The P7 and P7PSP have a shorter trigger guard and have no heat shields.

For me, there is no finer handgun in existence than the various P7-series handguns. They point like your finger and that's why I bet my life on an M13 each and every day I work as a cop. I left an agency that changed to issued sidearms and I'd do it again.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at a Tactical Shooting School and got to shoot another team's P7 (I'm not sure which model).

Incredible pistol, and definitely on my wish List!

One feature that I thought was so cool was that in a slide lock reload, after you seat your fresh mag, squeezing the squeeze cocker also drops the slide.
All during the school I was amazed how fast they were reloading.

As far as heat, we wore tactical gloves so it wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fast on target and fast follow up, natural pointer...what's not to like???:62:
Bill

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I wish there was a heat shield under the bottom part of the trigger guard too. Hell, the whole trigger needs a heat shield. I ran about 8 mags through my P7M13 last week, and I was afraid to put it back into my range bag. I thought the cloth inside might melt to the gun. But I do love them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no heat shield on the P7M13???...I don't think the heat shield really does much but hey...I feel your pain (or I did last Friday when I went with mine to the range...:D)
Bill

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
no heat shield on the P7M13???...I don't think the heat shield really does much but hey...I feel your pain (or I did last Friday when I went with mine to the range...:D)
Bill
There's heat shield at the top of the trigger guard on the P7M13 just like the P7M8, but mine gets hot under the trigger guard as well, where my middle finger that's holding the cocking lever is.

And yeah, the heat shield gets hot after a while as well. Nothing ever got hot enough to actually burn, it just got hot enough to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay...misunderstood...I knew they had the shield...sweet pistols these P7...
Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts