HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out to the range yesterday to compare my P2000SK in .40S&W with my USPc in .45ACP. Both are DA/SA, both are fairly new to me, so I'm still adjusting to the triggers. While I was trying to keep an open mind, secretly I was hoping the USPc would out shoot the P2k. I just like .45s better. Truth be told, there was little difference between the two. The snappier recoil of the .40 just isn't there. I was shooting WWB in both (165/230), followed by some Winchester Ranger and some older Federal Hydro-Shok that I had on the shelf. I would load 2 mags for each pistol, and then fire both in quick succession. Each cycle was focused on a single item, for instance I would think about perceived recoil on one cycle, target reacquisition on another. I would switch the order of pistol selection, but the on-paper results were about the same. The P2k is centered up better, but has some vertical stringing. The USPc had tighter groups, but was consistently grouping to the right. Both guns showed me that I need a LOT of practice on the first double action shot, I was way right and low (I'm left-handed but right eye dominate). Both guns have 3M outdoor tread tape that seems to help my grip a lot. Next trip to the range I may bring both backstraps for the P2k and see if one shoots better than the other.

For now I can honestly say that neither gun has an advantage over the other in terms of ease of shooting or accuracy. What did surprise me was the similarity between the two. Recoil is identical, if it wasn't for the slight difference in grip size, I would be unable to identify which gun I was shooting. I did bring a Colt 1911 along, and part way through the afternoon I dryfired it a few times. Instantly I realized if my goal was to shoot competition there just is no comparison in triggers, the 1911 feels like cheating compared to the H&K.

I need more time live firing both guns, but I must admit I am very pleased with both pistols. Being left handed I like the controls on the P2k much more than the USPc, if an HK45c wasn't in my future I would consider converting the safety/decocker to the right side on the USPc. The reliably factor with these pistols far outweighs the trigger quality. Zero issues with either pistol, though I still have a lot more rounds to send downrange before I'm shooting them up to their potential.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You might as well convert the USPc to an ambidextrous gun. Or trade it in for a p2000. I myself am a P2000 fan more than the USP series. I have a P2000 and P2000sk.

As far as the .40 S&W versus the .45 ACP either caliber will do the job you ask. I just prefer .40 S&W over the .45 ACP myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts