HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got a chance to try out the SL8 I bought a few weeks ago at the Tampa Gunshow ($1400 out the door. Seller was looking to fund a new host MP5). The seller said he had only put 40 rounds down the tube, and I only got the rifle and the magazine, and there is some marring on the barrel (the stock looks exceptional), but I was satisfied with the price.

I must say this could quickly become my favorite rifle. The action is smooth. and the trigger is crisp and feels very clean. The previous owner had stated it was a very accurate rifle. And, after shooting it I believe him.

10 rounds 63 gr SS109 Radway Green at 50 yards:

This was shot supported from a bench on an indoor range supported by a leather shooters bag with factory "iron" sights. NOTE: I called one flyer (the isolated lower right round, I believe, but I DO COUNT 10 rounds in the target.)

As a comparison I also took my trusty SIG 556 to shoot so that I could confirm my zero with my Trijicon Reflex II sight with 12.9 MOA triangle recticle.

This shoots the Radway green very well also. As a comparison I shot the following

20 rounds 55 gr G223B-1 Georgia Arms (rated at 3150 fps) at 50 yards:

This actually is a torso sized target that I folded into thirds for ease of transport. I can make out at least 18 rounds in the target (there could be all 20 but I cannot confirm this). These were fired supported like the SL8 but at a more rapid pace.

I love my SIG 556, and it is still pretty much my goto gun for medium range in 5.56 x 45 mm / .223 Rem., but if I had to be assured of putting a round in a target accurately I will now go with the SL8.

I had no problems with the SL8 and one failure to extract on the SIG 556 which was cleared with minimal trouble.

Also of note is the ease of cleaning for the SL8. It is much easier to clean than the SIG 556 (in fact it may be the easiest rifle to clean that I own with the exception of my PS90). A simple wipe down of the parts with an old oiled rag and a boresnake down the barrel was all it took. I know from past experiance that the SIG 556 will not be nearly as easy to clean.

All in all I am very impressed with the SL8. It is a comfortable rifle to fire, seems well balanced, properly weighted, and shoots accurately and well.

Buddy Lee

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the report. I just picked up a new SL8-6 , but havent had a chance to fire it yet. Glad to hear that they are accurate and easy to clean.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I never tried the Sig 556, but as you said the SL8 is one great rifle.

Pat

·
Registered
279 Posts
cheers for the sweet range report.... n i always wondered what the sigs were like to fire as i cant get them in ireland.

have fun !

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where did you get the rail system for your SIG 556? Battle weapons VS Sniper rifle? I am surprised in all of your shock.....................................

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
HI Buddy

thanks for the report, I have yet to get my SL8 out (waiting for Zeiss to come off of back order on mildots)

but I think we share a great bond with out Sig556's ? I am thrilled with mine. 1st time out I was using a Hensoldt ZF24 on an ARMS#7 and the factory CTR stock, and got groups like yours.

On my last trip out (2nd time out with the 556) I switched out the factory flash hider with a G6A2 vortex and the stock with a humble CAVARMS C1 stock, but now I get sub moa with the 77gr ammo... super happy.

so much so that I am going to go to higher power optics for the 556 to take advantage of the accuracy of the 556, which is hands down my fav rifle ~ of course when I finally get the SL8 out this could change :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Tiger, if you have photos of the new stock, that would be cool. I have been eyeballing the Sig, but the stock setup just doesn't appeal to me at all. If there is some way to change out that collapsible AR style buttstock that would make it quite a bit more appealing.

I guess Sig is selling the whoop-da out of those rifles, they are quite popular, and the standard stock doesn't seem to be slowing sales any.

When I picked one up at a gunshow earlier in the year, it seemed muzzle heavy to me. Is yours pretty balanced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
had to go to the safe since i read this. now that you mentioned it stubbicatt, when holding my 556, i do notice that it does feel heavier in the front half.
in regards to the thread, my sl8-6 and sig556 both shoot nice groups with M855 ball ammo. the sl8 though will hold a tighter group when i walk the range out to 100 yards or more (admittedly though, this is partly due to the Leupold VX-II tac. scope on the sl8). pretty much what buddy confirmed with his pair.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Tiger, if you have photos of the new stock, that would be cool. I have been eyeballing the Sig, but the stock setup just doesn't appeal to me at all. If there is some way to change out that collapsible AR style buttstock that would make it quite a bit more appealing.

I guess Sig is selling the whoop-da out of those rifles, they are quite popular, and the standard stock doesn't seem to be slowing sales any.

When I picked one up at a gunshow earlier in the year, it seemed muzzle heavy to me. Is yours pretty balanced?

Thanks.
here you go stubbi - my two fav's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts