HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm extremely accurate with my HK, I can shoot groupings where after 25 rounds all you see is a big ol' hole, no stray holes anywhere, up to 16yds.

I'm kind of bored now and I pretty much stopped going to the range anymore. I want to step it up a bit and learn how to double tap and/or rapid fire.

Is it me or the trigger pull of this gun sucks balls, but I can't rapid fire at all, I try and the most I can do is 1 shot a long pause (1sec) another shot.

Do I need more practice or fix the trigger?

I want to rapid fire, but I don't want to hear too much of a pause.

Can I double tap with this gun, within mm's from each other? This will be next for me.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm extremely accurate with my HK, I can shoot groupings where after 25 rounds all you see is a big ol' hole, no stray holes anywhere, up to 16yds.

I'm kind of bored now and I pretty much stopped going to the range anymore. I want to step it up a bit and learn how to double tap and/or rapid fire.

Is it me or the trigger pull of this gun sucks balls, but I can't rapid fire at all, I try and the most I can do is 1 shot a long pause (1sec) another shot.

Do I need more practice or fix the trigger?

I want to rapid fire, but I don't want to hear too much of a pause.

Can I double tap with this gun, within mm's from each other? This will be next for me.
What do you want to do? Rapid fire or learn double taps? Are you trying to acheive that same level of accuracy by firing the gun this way?

If you want to rapid fire then just pull the trigger as fast as you can... Accuracy will inevitably suffer, greatly, when rapid firing so don't expect one ragged hole after 12 rounds of the high pressure 40S&W has just left your gun in rapid succesion.

Now... Double tap. Double tap is just two well aimed/placed shots with little time between the two shots. It's not pulling the trigger twice as fast as you can.

The DA/SA trigger is actually a good trigger for "double taps". Yes you have a initial long and hard pull but it's followed by a very short, smooth and light 4.5 lb pull which will aid in your second shot getting off quickly and accurately. You don't need to fix the trigger... it's not broke. Your mechanics are broke, you need to fix that. By the way, rapid fire is pointless... instead of wasting ammo doing rapid fire learn how to shoot on the move, that will be alot more beneficial to you.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I honestly don't even know where to begin...

Marksmanship is a fragile art; if you don't practice constantly, you will get worse...while consistently hitting a 'down zero' is the goal, keeping that skill sharp is a better use of your time than 'rapid fire' is...if you want to hone skills and remain proficient without being bored, shoot an IDPA, USPCA, or IPSC match

Rapid fire is not only pointless, but it makes you look inept and paints a generally bad picture...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Are you releasing the trigger to just where it trips the sear and not letting it all the way out? Most people when rapid firing actually release the trigger so far after each shot they remove their finger from the trigger completely. This results in slower follow-up shots and slapping the trigger, this means accuracy will suffer even more. Release the trigger just to where the sear is reset and then smoothly pull it back. Doing this will make the trigger feel more like a striker fired pistol (Glock) and give you the crisp trigger break you crave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After posting this thread I started looking for an answer and you guys were right, what I wanted to do is step it up a little.

Rapid fire is stupid and a waste of ammo, agreed. Now double tap is what I have seen in IDPA competitions videos, and this is what I want to acquire now.

Is this gun good for this? I checked couple threads here and they mention Glock 9, which I do not want to get as this is my brother's favorite gun and I dont want that.

I have a SA 1911 TRP as well and this one I saw on bunch of guys competing.

Is the 40c good for competition or is a 9 better?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I honestly don't even know where to begin...

Marksmanship is a fragile art; if you don't practice constantly, you will get worse...while consistently hitting a 'down zero' is the goal, keeping that skill sharp is a better use of your time than 'rapid fire' is...if you want to hone skills and remain proficient without being bored, shoot an IDPA, USPCA, or IPSC match

Rapid fire is not only pointless, but it makes you look inept and paints a generally bad picture...
Got it back to the range, I know exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you releasing the trigger to just where it trips the sear and not letting it all the way out? Most people when rapid firing actually release the trigger so far after each shot they remove their finger from the trigger completely. This results in slower follow-up shots and slapping the trigger, this means accuracy will suffer even more. Release the trigger just to where the sear is reset and then smoothly pull it back. Doing this will make the trigger feel more like a striker fired pistol (Glock) and give you the crisp trigger break you crave.
Got it back to the range, I know exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I train how I will have to fight in an SD situation...so I run my USPc .40 LEM and my carry rig...only thing I add is a double mag carrier instead of a single...

Keep in mind IDPA is the International Defensive Pistol Association...the bold word is key...if you have a defensive pistol then you should compete in what you will likely be carrying if trouble arises...the 'competition' is only to help train your senses to operate under simulated stress and enable you to effectively 'run and gun' in scenario based combat(against brown cardboard cutouts lol)

Its fun, its helpful, and its a great way to make some good friendships with shooters in your area

1 - 8 of 8 Posts