HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Cool but I don't see ATF honoring a law letter for guns that aren't truly available if the agency wanted to buy say, 10 of them.....or even if there were just the one each, as we know the buyer is NOT going to transfer these guns to the LE agency if they say, "Hey we need those, prototypes with no spare parts are the best choice for us" AND we'll pay you the $275K + a healthy profit". As we all would know, such a love letter would be BS anyway, no Agency REALLY wants a demo of these. And no one who could get such a letter is going to take them out to the range and let some PD's SWAT team pound 1K rounds minimum through each of these to fulfill the demo, hence any law letter for these guns would actually be a fraud. Pretty sure there'a hefty penalty for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool but I don't see ATF honoring a law letter for guns that aren't truly available if the agency wanted to buy say, 10 of them.....or even if there were just the one each, as we know the buyer is NOT going to transfer these guns to the LE agency if they say, "Hey we need those, prototypes with no spare parts are the best choice for us" AND we'll pay you the $275K + a healthy profit. As we all would know, such a love letter would be BS anyway, no Agency REALLY wants a demo of these. And no one who could get such a letter is going to take them out to the range and let some PD's SWAT team pound 1K rounds minimum through each of these to fulfill the demo, hence any law letter for these guns would actually be a fraud. Pretty sure there'a hefty penalty for that.
Irrelevant, they will approve any properly formatted legitimate letter. It isn't the ATFs business to predict what you can or can't order from a MFG

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Irrelevant, they will approve any properly formatted legitimate letter. It isn't the ATFs business to predict what you can or can't order from a MFG
Hmmm......just joined and this is your first post. Are you the seller by any chance?

Key word here is "legitimate". Any demo request letter for these 2 guns won't be, because no LE Agency REALLY wants a demo of these guns. Hence it's not a legitimate request. I'll say it again, the buyer (if there is one for that kind of money) is NOT going to let the agency foolish enough to skyline themselves with ATF NFA Branch re: their past and future demo letters take these things out and bang a case of ammo through each of them. Reason #2 why it's not legitimate. Proper formatting doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to a fraudulent request, and that's what these would be.

Anyone who files a Demo request letter these days better be prepared to "let the boys play with the toys" and be able to document same. Otherwise both the agency and the dealer are low hanging fruit.

Wonder how much they'll bring as parts sets? :biggrin:

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
Hmmm......just joined and this is your first post. Are you the seller by any chance?

Key word here is "legitimate". Any demo request letter for these 2 guns won't be, because no LE Agency REALLY wants a demo of these guns. Hence it's not a legitimate request. I'll say it again, the buyer (if there is one for that kind of money) is NOT going to let the agency foolish enough to skyline themselves with ATF NFA Branch re: their past and future demo letters take these things out and bang a case of ammo through each of them. Reason #2 why it's not legitimate. Proper formatting doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to a fraudulent request, and that's what these would be.

Anyone who files a Demo request letter these days better be prepared to "let the boys play with the toys" and be able to document same. Otherwise both the agency and the dealer are low hanging fruit.

Wow......very well put, and very well explained. Thanks for the education on the love letters.

·
Registered
2 Posts

No, I'm not the seller. I do have 5 approved law letters with all sorts of 1 of 1 post sample machine guns on them though. Again, the ATF isn't looking at the "legitimacy of the request" they are looking to see if the letter is correctly formatted, signed by the right person, and at your licenses.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
No, I'm not the seller. I do have 5 approved law letters with all sorts of 1 of 1 post sample machine guns on them though. Again, the ATF isn't looking at the "legitimacy of the request" they are looking to see if the letter is correctly formatted, signed by the right person, and at your licenses.
Fair enough. I get that ATF may not call you out (or the seller in this case) on the legitimacy of the request. But that doesn't mean it's legitimate. You know full well that whatever agency signed those 5 law letters had no reason related to the agency's business to want a demo of the items in question or any other 1 of 1 MG. At best a loophole, at worst a fraud.

Did you take all 5 of those 1 of 1 guns out to the range and let members of the agency play with them? If not then they didn't really want a demo, you knew that, and you're both on the hook IF ATF wanted you for it. Which they don't, I get that.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
This 100%
They have tried before but at the end of the day it isn't their problem what a police department wants to field.

Minus the 40mm Bofors that a guy tried to law letter out....that DID NOT fly.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This 100%. They have tried before but at the end of the day it isn't their problem what a police department wants to field.
If you say so. All I know is you wouldn't catch me signing my name to something like that, because the PD DOESN'T truly want to field it, and the
person signing the application for transfer knows that, and has no intention of doing a demo with his new collector 1 of 1 MG. Whether they call you on it or not, it's still fraud.

That's some funny ****e right there. :biggrin:

And for some reason, I now want a 40mm Bofors....

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
This 100%
They have tried before but at the end of the day it isn't their problem what a police department wants to field.

Honestly, since we are in the era of PD's using APCs and MRAPs, along with beltfed machine guns, I don't know why the ATF would blink at a PD wanting to law letter some artillery.

Though, if he built a semi-auto Bofors then it would be only a DD and not a machinegun, in which case, he can just Form 1 it. :11:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Legit source on PD's using belt-feds please...

Only one I remember is some ******* sheriff in the Carolina's a decade ago that responded with a bunch of bible quotes as a publicity stunt.
Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office has a 240 and a Mk19 mounted on a boat. "Because Port Defense", LOL.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts