HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. Probably stupid but here goes. I love my RCM bolt carrier and head. I've had no issues whatsoever in over 1000 rounds. Quality chit mang. One small nagging problem. I HATE how there is no retention ring for the recoil guide rod. Is there a reason this was omitted? Do the new ones come with one? I bought this one over a year ago. It's driven me nuts. Is there a way to retrofit the retention ring? I know it's petty but it does drive me insane. Otherwise a perfect product at an excellent price. I'd like to buy one for the upcoming K build but may pass if there is no retention ring. I know you can't please everyone but it seems a small thing here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I think there was a thread about this started awhile ago which involved RCM. I think RCM asked for input as to omit the retention ring or not. I believe the consensus among the posters was to omit it.

I may be wrong as that thread discussion was a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I remember it hodge. Barely. It was last year I think. I didn't remember what the concensus was. I'd really like to have the ring though.

·
Vendor
8,216 Posts
The full sized RCM carrier is F-spec and thus does not have the retention ring.

The RCM K carrier was up for discussion and it was decided to follow the full-sized and omit the ring. The primary driving factor was that many U.S. made K recoil rods utilize a tough nylon bushing and as such, was nearly impossible to pop through the retaining ring without damage to the bushing.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The full sized RCM carrier is F-spec and thus does not have the retention ring.

The RCM K carrier was up for discussion and it was decided to follow the full-sized and omit the ring. The primary driving factor was that many U.S. made K recoil rods utilize a tough nylon bushing and as such, was nearly impossible to pop through the retaining ring without damage to the bushing.
Thanks for the explanation Joe. Any way to retrofit it?

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I grind it out. The darn thing drives me crazy.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I grind it out. The darn thing drives me crazy.
That's crazy to me. I like the ring. I hate that the rod comes out before the carrier. Just me I guess.

·
Vendor
8,216 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that sounds easy enough. Any special kind of ring? Oh, and Joe, I need to send you a text in reference to a UMP rear piece.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
That's crazy to me. I like the ring. I hate that the rod comes out before the carrier. Just me I guess.
There's a fix for that:

1. Remove the stock or end cap
2. Remove the trigger group
3. Rotate gun so that it's pointed upward while cupping hand over rear of receiver
4. Hold recoil rod assembly like a stick and lower complete bolt assembly out of gun

5. Reverse steps for assembly.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol. I already do that retro. I wanna be able to pull it out by the guide rod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts