HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HK MP5SD HE

How do the RDTS "SD" suppressors compare to other manufacturers? What sort of price range is one looking at for either the suppressor or complete firearm? Or, would the "SD HE" can be a good option for an Omega SD barreled receiver?

TIA,
Sid

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
HK MP5SD HE

How do the RDTS "SD" suppressors compare to other manufacturers? What sort of price range is one looking at for either the suppressor or complete firearm? Or, would the "SD HE" can be a good option for an Omega SD barreled receiver?

TIA,
Sid
All I can say is.....the quietest 9mm, I've ever shot....or own. If I'm being completely honest, it puts all other suppressed firearms to shame. If you have the opportunity to purchase....you won't be disappointed. I promise.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Bigger and heavier than any other SD I can think of. Very quiet, but no real data to compare. Most RDTS SD suppressors are built differently than factory, different threading, and barrel ports that are spaced differently.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
Serious? :( Was kind of getting excited to get a backup SD suppressor.
Yes... Ralph doesn't use HK standard thread pitch, but you might want to ask if he builds the HE suppressors in 18x1 upon request.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yes... Ralph doesn't use HK standard thread pitch, but you might want to ask if he builds the HE suppressors in 18x1 upon request.
Not in a huge rush to get a 2nd suppressor. Waiting to hear about TPM and their can. I know a lot of guys have a TPM MP5SD on order, waiting on forms.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not in a huge rush to get a 2nd suppressor. Waiting to hear about TPM and their can. I know a lot of guys have a TPM MP5SD on order, waiting on forms.
I think Renegade is waiting on one, and he has the a couple other SD cans to compare with. I definitely want to hear his thoughts once he shoots it.

Hearing the TPM can in a small concrete room, I was sold on it.

I'm wary of anything that deviates much from what HK did.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have a coharie can on a SW we and it is pretty quiet. But my dads rdts he suppressor on a hk94 sd conversion is much quieter. The can needs to be sent back though. Previous owner shot thousands of rounds through it without cleaning and the blast chamber is pack solid :/ was lucky to get it off the barrel. Put a few mag dumps in auto to get hot to be able to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
HK MP5SD HE How do the RDTS "SD" suppressors compare to other manufacturers? What sort of price range is one looking at for either the suppressor or complete firearm?
The RDTS SD suppressor has the largest/fattest diameter of the SD cans which provides the most appealing look IMO and reportedly translates to be being the quietest (described as being quieter than a mouse queef, -source). Something akin to why the 14+ year old design of the Gemtech MK-9K remains king for performance, while also being the largest/fattest can for MP5/MP5K.

You should contact RDTS for current pricing. I can say that my RDTS invoice from 4/26/2016 shows:
RDTS MP5SD HE Premium Build w/ suppressor $6,500.00
Upgrade to Ambi with FBI 2 pos housing $389.95
922r Compliant parts- trigger, hammer, sear, cocking handle $110
B&T handguard 3x Tri-Rail NAR For MP5-SD $415
Shipping and Insurance $90
-------------------------------
My finished bill with mods/upgrades: $7,504.95 (paid in full to RDTS via ACH thru Intuit PaymentNetwork on 4/26/2016)

At the time, as I considered buying an extra, the RDTS MP5SD HE Weapons suppressor 12" = $750.00

The form 3 for this SBR & suppressor were approved June 14th, 2016. Not sure when this SD build will be finished, but won't matter to me as long as it's not long after the form 4 clears. I told Ralph to take as long as he needs to do the best job.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I have a 9mm and 40 cal RDTS built HK MP5SD's. The RDTS cans and rifles are built very well. They are quiet, but the weight is my biggest issue. When compared to the 9mm TPM or Urbach SD it is at least 1.5-2 lbs difference hanging on the front of your rifle. I have these rifles also, so I have compared RDTS and TPM MP5SD's for many years. If you are trying to reduce your sound by a couple of decibels and do not mind the added weight, then go RDTS. If you are looking for a spec rifle look at the TPM.

One more thing the RDTS is a little more particular about cleaning. The tolerance distance between barrel, threads and suppressor is smaller, so it is a must to keep it clean.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I will say though that this set-up (RTDS SD) using 124gr ammo has trounced all of the mp5 3 lug can setups using 147gr ammo that I and my friends have access to.
I have a KAC SD can and MP5-SD in ATF jail, but I do have experience with 147s through Raptor and MK9K cans, so I find this comment very interesting. Really looking forward to trying my SD - about a year or more from now...

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This is correct, my RTDS built SD used a factory front end so when Ralph built mine he used an 18x1 end cap which I also understand is replacable. Which makes me wonder if he makes an uzi end cap.

As for weight it is definitely heavy but this does have the benefit of keeping the muzzle from rising in FA so it's easy to Keep on target. In SA it's all you supporting the front end biased weight of the gun and can combo. But IMHO it's not so bad if its a gun you're only using at the range and not carrying all day.

IMHO the can looks great due to its length, diameter, knurling, and beveled front end cap.

As for pricing as I recall I paid 600 for the can. But I will have to consult my invoice to be 100% sure.

I have both B&T and KAC cans in NFA jail right now but have not yet done a side by side comparison. However my gut tells me that real sound measuring equipment will be needed to tell the tail in the sound supression department.

From the shooting I have done with it, I have a hard time distinguishing action noise from the actual shot. Though it's clear that each plays a significant role in the sound produced. I will say though that this set-up using 124gr ammo has trounced all of the mp5 3 lug can setups using 147gr ammo that I and my friends have access to. I also I freely admit that its a limited sampling of cans of which 2 are different AAC cans so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The RDTS SD suppressor has the largest/fattest diameter of the SD cans which provides the most appealing look IMO and reportedly translates to be being the quietest (described as being quieter than a mouse queef, -source). Something akin to why the 14+ year old design of the Gemtech MK-9K remains king for performance, while also being the largest/fattest can for MP5/MP5K.

You should contact RDTS for current pricing. I can say that my RDTS invoice from 4/26/2016 shows:
RDTS MP5SD HE Premium Build w/ suppressor $6,500.00
Upgrade to Ambi with FBI 2 pos housing $389.95
922r Compliant parts- trigger, hammer, sear, cocking handle $110
B&T handguard 3x Tri-Rail NAR For MP5-SD $415
Shipping and Insurance $90
-------------------------------
My finished bill with mods/upgrades: $7,504.95 (paid in full to RDTS via ACH thru Intuit PaymentNetwork on 4/26/2016)

At the time, as I considered buying an extra, the RDTS MP5SD HE Weapons suppressor 12" = $750.00

The form 3 for this SBR & suppressor were approved June 14th, 2016. Not sure when this SD build will be finished, but won't matter to me as long as it's not long after the form 4 clears. I told Ralph to take as long as he needs to do the best job.
Minus the B&T rail, you're looking at $7,190 for that setup. My TPM SD was $3,710 for a similar setup...That's a massive difference. How does RDTS charge so much?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From RDTS:

EXPLANATION OF SEALED

By sealed we do not mean in a permanent manner, as the manufacturer we can open it up for major repair if necessary...your investment is safe with RDTS. We simply pin the base and encapsulator to seal the components in. The reason for this is because this unit is of such a close tolerance, (which by the way is one of the reasons this unit is superior in sound reduction!) we do not believe the average shooter has the proper equipment to reassemble and maintain the close tolerance. Plus none of our shop suppressors or customers suppressors have yet to require maintenance due to suppressor performance degradation.

FEEL THE NEED TO CLEAN?
For those who want to disassemble their suppressor we offer a more conventional baffling system that is almost as effective in sound reduction but can be disassembled and reassembled by the end user with reasonable mechanical skills. Keep in mind we have only been requested to do this variation 4 times.

What is so special about the RDTS can that requires it to be sealed? Also, how heavy is this suppressor (postal, bathroom, kitchen, ... scales anyone)? Having a steel outer tube and stainless baffles is attractive but, is it really a deeper tone than a similar Aluminum can?

TIA,
Sid

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
While never owning an RDTS SD I have shot a few. To me my KAC SD can is as quiet if not quieter than the RDTS can. If you're looking for an SD Mike at TSC makes an almost indistinguishable rifle from an authentic SD. He even uses a very similar design to the factory cans. Or at least he use to.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts