HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a USP Tactical brand new in box from a local gun shop back at the end of June 2007. This is an "AH" date coded Tactical .45. About a week later I bought a set of Meprolight adjustable night sights from Arizona Gunrunners. Because of time and work, I didn't have these sights installed till this past Saturday August 18th. I brought the slide to the shop where I originally bought the gun from to have the sights installed. I got the slide back this past Tuesday. As soon as I got the slide back, I cleaned and lubed everything and put the gun back together.

Tonight, just before I go to bed, I decide to pull the Tactical out of the factory plastic box that I keep it in next to my night stand. To my HORROR, I see what appears to be small rust spots on the front of the slide right by and underneath the new front sight. I double check the lighting and use a flashlight and confirmed my worst fears. I use a cotton swab with some oil, hoping that it is just some surface stuff but nothing wipes off. I take a look at the rear sight and there also appears to be some corrosion on the sight and a hint on the rear dovetail.

These are the detailed facts of the gun. I've probably put 200-250 rounds through it so far. After every range session, I've cleaned the gun thoroughly. I've never had to adjust the factory sights (which I still have). I wiped the gun down with a silicon cloth everytime after I handle it. The Meprolight sights sat around in their original packaging till I had them installed and I gave the entire package to the shop smith. Again, the gun is kept in its original plastic case with the clasps closed right by my night stand. The original dessicant packet is still in the case. I haven't fired the gun at all since getting the slide back from the shop smith.

What do I do? I know I will be contacting the shop tomorrow morning, right away. Am I covered under warranty by HK since I had a local smith install an aftermarket set of sights? Please HELP! :(

Here are some pics. There's cotton swab fibers all around as well as oil, so please excuse that. I really keep the gun clean as much as I can, I just rushed the pics after trying to remove the spots with the swab and gun oil. I've temporarily taken the slide off the gun and I am keep it separate to avoid an additional corrision contamination.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check on the coverage and let us know what they say.
Don't let it stress you out to much...

Worst case is you would have to get the gun refinished, and that would fix your problems. There are a lot of great options for refinishing like hard chrome, and it's not all that much ( $200 - $300 I would guess )

Please let us know how HK treats you - I am interested in following this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That might not be rust. It may be the glue they use to give the sights some extra holding strength..

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the insight guys. I pray that is it either loc-tite or some other glue. I will investigate further. Couldn't sleep all of last night thinking about it...

If it indeed is glue, shouldn't some of the excess have come off with the solvent I used to clean the gun? Do I need to use nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
First the bad news. HK may cover anything under warranty if they want to, but under the warranty and by the letter your sights and slide are NOT covered under warranty now. The only installation they recognize is if HK-USA does the installation. There are no certified warranty stations so it is no different where you did it or the smith did it. If it is rust HK might or might not cover the finish of the slide but they will not cover the finish on the sights.

Now the good news. I agree that it looks like an adhesive like red Lock-Tite more than rust, at least I hope so.
If it is rust this why it could happen. The rear sight may have been oversized and the smith had to file it down to make it fit the dovetail. That removed the protective finish on the sight and if he forgot to protect the bare metal with finish or oil or you cleaned away the oil put on the sight then it can rust. I had to make my MMC's fit also (they too come oversized) but touched them up before installing on my two USPCs I keep the rear dovetail oiled with a drop of oil on front and rear dovetail sights every time I clean. Then wipe off the excess with a patch. I'm no smith but I've installed dozens of sights and I have yet to resort to red Lock-Tite,or any other locking agent, to make a sight stay in place.
If he just added the Lock-Tite as a back-up then that is OK, but red Lock-Tite does not make up for sloppy smithing.
My guess is that he had to fit the sights, got them a little loose, and used red Lock-Tite to hold them in place. If that is what he did its time to find another smith.

IMO leave it alone. Anything you do to remove it will likely break the bond. Heat and some chemicals may remove it but you may damage your finish more. I get obsessive about my collection pieces but on my shooters you have to learn to let some things go. You cannot keep a pistol pristine and also carry it or shoot it. Things happen and while I am not trying to be flippant, you just have to get use to it and let things go. You can do more damage trying to fix a small blemish and end up with a huge one.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Big Bore. I just got off the phone with the shop smith. He said he didn't use any type of adhesive or glue. He did use oil and I do recall the whole slide was pretty much covered in oil when he returned it to me. The smith thinks it could possibly be that HK had used some adhesive and when he put the new Meprolights on, it is "squeezing" out the old glue. I don't know, this is just really weird. He told me to swing by the shop to have a look...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like adhesive... You can always send the slide to Virgl Tripp at www.trippsresearch.com . He can redo your slide for $100 or so and he is one of the best......

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on a recommendation from a friend who is a gun owner, I used a small wooden tooth pick and I was able to clean up the area. Didn't see any bare metal and the consistancey of the material I cleaned away looked like an adhesive but it was so minimal, it was tough to tell.
My buddy recommended I leave it alone for a week or so and see what happens, so I'll do just that.

Thank you to everyone who's responded to this post. I'm sorry if I came off sounding like Chicken Little, but even though it is a shooter, I like pride myself on keeping my pistol as clean and in good condition as possible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try spraying on something like remoil or tetra and scrubbign it away with a toothbrush.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts