HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The CDNN rep assured me that the USP Expert 40 was NIB etc. I asked what the 2 letter code for the year was and he said he didn't know, but that H&K was discontinuing this model and this was one of the last ones made. When I received it I found it does indeed look like new, but the year it was test fired was September 30, 2008. This thing is every bit as nice as I expected it to be with a very sweet double and single action, but now I am not so sure that the deal was so great pricewise.

Will those among you with deep knowledge about the USP and H&K pistols please let me know what I should make of this? Is it the same product that I would have gotten if I had received one marked "BB" (if such exist). Did the production run end in 2008 and they are still just working to unload these items? Any insight will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
HK ships guns from Germany, to Columbus and then to distributors or direct FFL's. Many times you will see that the guns have sat in the warehouse or stock room of any of the three previously mentioned locations for a time. I remember getting Glocks from dealers that sell a bunch of them that were test fired a few days or weeks prior to them getting to me---this is just not the case with HK.

Perhaps it's the price point, or the way they import them and distribute them; but many times you will get a gun that was test fired and marked a year or two prior. This gun is still new, but has just been a while in getting to you. If they did not mark the dates, or include a test fired casing, you would have no idea.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was recently looking for an Expert .45. I got it a couple months ago. Mine is date coded AH (2007 i believe). It was test fired by Morlock then too. It was just sitting around for 4 years (probably because they priced it so damn high).

On my search in finding the Expert, multiple local gun shops said it can no longer be ordered and is out of production. They didnt tell me when it went out of production.. but it is not even listed on the HK site anymore although the link: Heckler & Koch - USA still works (same instance with the Elite on the HK USA site).

I think you should be happy you got one! Especially one NIB. If you like the pistol that's all that matters in my opinion. If your concern is quality not being as good in 2008 than it would be if the pistol were made today, then rest assured, the quality would be the same.

Enjoy your EXPERT! Favorite gun I've owned. Shoots like a dream.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
If you had received one marked BB it would be worth mega bucks since it would be the only one.

Many, many times NIB HK's are years old before sold to the end consumer, but they are BRAND NEW and no different!

I just bought a NIB "AG" P2000 357 sig.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys Thanks so much for your explanations. With your input I can now enjoy the full stoke of having this little beauty! I shall now give it a baptismal cleaning and then take it to my club range for the first trial. For me, this is the quintessential pistol - the barrel length of a 1911, a decocker and a safety (you have your choice to use it or not), a large capacity and the best reliability you can buy with low maintenance. The only mystery now is: Why did they stop making it? I guess people want to have the new bells and whistles like changeable back straps etc.. Who knows and who cares!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Not 'the best deal'? You got it from CDNN, Im assuming as they had the best price you could find?

I shot a USP Expert .45 this week end, wonderful handgun and superb accuracy

Its new in box, who cares what year it was built? =)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See my reply above. I think just getting it was a good deal. Gonna go use it now. Phil 4: 1-9

·
Registered
783 Posts
Let us know how it shoots. I'm sure you'll have a blast! I guess they stopped making it to avoid producing too much of a good thing! I'm very curious to see if they come out with competition (Match/Elite/Expert) models for the new HK45/P30 models. At any rate I'm glad I got mine when I had the chance.

HAPPY SHOOTING and BE SAFE! Give us a range report too!

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The CDNN rep assured me that the USP Expert 40 was NIB etc. I asked what the 2 letter code for the year was and he said he didn't know, but that H&K was discontinuing this model and this was one of the last ones made.
I went through the same thing with a CDNN salesrep. I was able to convince him to go back to the warehouse and pull out those Expert 40's and check the date code for me. He sent me an email later in the day and said "the date code is DE". Duh!

I figured if DE was on the slide, then the earliest the gun could have been produced would have been around mid-2007 or 2008, since that's when HK was required to put DE mark on their guns. But I didn't proceed to purchase the Expert. I talked to the salesrep earlier this week and was told they still have quite a few left in their inventory. For $899.99, it's a steal!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went through the same thing with a CDNN salesrep. I was able to convince him to go back to the warehouse and pull out those Expert 40's and check the date code for me. He sent me an email later in the day and said "the date code is DE". Duh!

I figured if DE was on the slide, then the earliest the gun could have been produced would have been around mid-2007 or 2008, since that's when HK was required to put DE mark on their guns. But I didn't proceed to purchase the Expert. I talked to the salesrep earlier this week and was told they still have quite a few left in their inventory. For $899.99, it's a steal!
That's a hoot! I was told I was getting the last one, but I see that they are advertising them in the new catalog that came out later that same day. Oldest trick in the book!! As to DE: I don't think they want to deal with the date question - he seemed to know everything else about H&Ks though. You really have to know what you are doing when you buy this way. I just went with other reports that I read that CDNN is reputable.

The wife has me taking her to a movie tonight. I'll let y'all know how it shoots tomorrow. Gun show here in Hampton VA tomorrow too. My kind of day!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Range report: Put 200 rounds of Federal target ammo through the USP 40 Expert today. Of course, there were no technical issues to be had. I had moments of brilliant accuracy mixed with generally better accuracy than I had ever experienced with anything less than a 1911. The match grade trigger was smooth and predictable. I was still a bit low and left of center with my shots, but on target when my technique was right. It’s clear that you need to have both a solid grip and good alignment in your arms to get the best results. The ergonomics are all very good. The magazine release reminds me of the one on the Walther PPS. It works similarly, but the Walther has a much longer lever arm that is easier to find and use. That would be an interesting mod or option to have.

I am a new member of the gun club where I shoot and coincidentally met another fellow just this evening who is big on H&K. He showed me his P2000SK with LEM – very light and nice action on the trigger. He has seven H&Ks and the Expert is his favorite. He recommended dry fire practice and to consider using a laser device that shows where your shot would have gone. I am sure he is right. I have much further to go before I can take full advantage of the Expert’s capabilities. My thanks go out to those who recommended this model in their posts. I am definitely gonna enjoy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After a little work with the trigger on Monday night, here's proof that most anyone can get good results with an Expert:

:19: Only 5 yards, but I'm not above claiming it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
ncsurfer: Congrats on the beautiful new gun! FYI--Your date-code experience is not unusual at all. Every brand-new HK I've purchased in the last few years came straight from the distributor to the dealer to me, yet almost every one was already two or three years old. The only exception was a pair of P2000SK pistols that I just bought from a dealer here on the forum. After receiving so many "old" new pistols, it was actually a surprise to find that not only were they date-coded BB, but they were test-fired just two months ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts