HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone fired both?

I have heard that the USPF 40 was one of the softest shooting .40s out there... and then I have heard from other's that it was almost as violent as a Glock 23 due to the lightweight and high bore axis.

Then I heard that the PX4's recoil was dampened quite a bit by the rotating barrel design.. although it is also light weight and has a pretty high bore axis.

I would love to try them out myself but there are no ranges nearby that rent these two.

Any help... however subjective... would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bore axis is where the recoil happens in space compared to your grip, it doesn't cause more recoil.

The USP has a tough, heavy steel slide on a light polymer frame, so yeah, they can feel a little jumpy. This is the kind of thing you get used to as you train with a gun.

I've got no idea how PX4s shoot because I've never shot one. Full-sized USP have a very nice, smooth, controllable recoil. You really ought to shoot both and decide which you like better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bonesaw,

I really appreciate the time you took to reply... but it unfortunately didn't get me too much farther along.

"The USP has a tough, heavy steel slide on a light polymer frame, so yeah, they can feel a little jumpy."

and

"Full-sized USP have a very nice, smooth, controllable recoil."

I keep getting this contrast about the USP but this time I got it within a single post. ;-)

I wonder if there are any other folks out there with similar experiences with the USPF 40.

·
Registered
402 Posts
For what it's worth, I owned a Cougar 8040. I sold it to fund my HK's...I've never regretted it. I've never shot the 40 USP, but I've shot a P2000SK in 40 and it was not that bad and seemed less than my 8040. Personally, I do not like 40 cal because of my perception of snap. However, this is not the debate you've asked for.

I also had an 8045 Cougar and it was prone to bad feeds. It was probably the mag springs, but I tried 3 different mags and it was always the same. Needless to say, I sold it and got the USPc in 45....again, I never looked back. The USPc may have more barrel rise than the 8045, but not by much. Accuracy wise, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with either Cougar and theoretically they should be more accurate. I believe it was the sights...they were terrible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Strangely enough I LOVE the recoil of a .40sw round. .357M are tollerable but I actualy enjoy shooting the .40. I think its more what your perception of the round is (in each gun). I can actualy shoot my P2000 LEM .40 with more accuracy then my 9mm PT-917 (basicly PT-92) and with more follow up shots even though there is a major increase in pushback. Im also very tall and have broad shoulders and shooting a 9mm feels too much like a pellet gun for me (though I would much rather get shot by a pellet then a 9mm).

Its all very subjective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bonesaw,

I really appreciate the time you took to reply... but it unfortunately didn't get me too much farther along.

"The USP has a tough, heavy steel slide on a light polymer frame, so yeah, they can feel a little jumpy."

and

"Full-sized USP have a very nice, smooth, controllable recoil."

I keep getting this contrast about the USP but this time I got it within a single post. ;-)

I wonder if there are any other folks out there with similar experiences with the USPF 40.
Seriously, go put about 50 rounds through a full-sized USP, then report back to me on whether you still think these are contradictory concepts. :)

FYI, any polymer auto is going to have a high bore axis, and most of the weapon's mass is going to be in the slide. This is why you pick a gun, then you train with it so you can teach your neuromuscular system to deal with the dynamics of firing it. The USP's recoil buffer makes the inherent muzzle flip smoother.

My advice to you is honestly to do whatever you can to put about 50 rounds through a full-sized USP, a steel-framed sig, a glock, and a PX4 or whatever else you want. Save the USP for last. I think you'll see what I am talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts